who is the best mechanic for RE cars in town?

zenxyjeff

Nov 2, 2005
Just wanna open this discussion abotu who is the best mechanic for RE cars in town.... So all RX7 owner hv better idea where and which mechanic to go for when the car is sick. Is better to go for those professional RE mechanic then those AH Kow or Ah Beng workshop. How all sifu and master and advice on this.

13btt

Known Member
May 31, 2004
Sydney, AUS
www.reclub.com.my
Good Q but sadly no clear answer

Yes this has been explored before.

There is unfortunately no best mechanic in Klang valley (that I know of at least) hence part of the reason why rotary has such a bad reputation.

However, IMO Ah Choi is still the best for general repairs to rotary cars. However, rebuilding I am unsure given (perhaps unsubstantiated & unscientific) claims from other RE owners.

Personally I didn't have faith in anyone rebuilding my engine locally after researching it when I encountered an o-ring problem with my RE so i did it myself with some $$$ investing in rotary specific tools. However by training I have mechanical engineering background.

With the right tools, good guidance, some handiwork you can rebuild your own engine too - but you must be skillful with your hands and have loads of patience and care!

REs are more reliant on correct tolerances for wear and clearances of rotating and sealing surfaces over and above piston engines! This translates into - you cut corners or try to save money by reusing "questionable" parts in your rebuild and you're engine will never run well or last. This may explain why the average rebuild lasts only 6-12 months. All parts during rebuild need to be measured as per Mazda specifications you can't just do the usual eye test that "mechanics" are familiar with - it takes more skill and care than that by a mile.

You can find out more in the links provided earlier by sakuraguy.

Happy hunting for your Rotary dream!

zenxyjeff

Nov 2, 2005
thanks for the info sakuraguy and 13bbt...... hv to learn more

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

sifus out there!!

i need to know what are the downside to knife edge crankshaft lightening?? better to know the downside first i reckon.and what are the goodsides?? i'm re building my engine,so kinda have this in my list.thanks!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience