Water temp audible warning?

Suggestion on water temp meter w/ audible warning?

• JDM i.e DEFI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Taiwan. Shadow, Autogauge, NRG etc

• Knockoffs from China

• Other brand? please mentioned in thread

• DIY? Can teach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

abunawas

Known Member
Nov 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
been using NRG water temp gauge for almost 1 year now, so far so good. it lights up at 98 degree C and managed to save my engine once. for the price i think it is 'ok' la. how long it will last.....let's see.

facegreen

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Mar 10, 2006
Defi Original is BEST but Pricey.

Shadow is best alternative brand u can use,

SORRY NRG & AUTOGAUGE are just rubbish, either sensor always spoilt or Gauge Malfunction.
(Do not waste money on both brands above)

Cheers

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Bro,
NRG Meter giving me lots of complaint from customer. Sold 10 , 7pcs sensor K.O.

Pricing is only a bit cheaper than Shadow, why take the risk?

this is just my point of view where i experience many cases.

been using NRG water temp gauge for almost 1 year now, so far so good. it lights up at 98 degree C and managed to save my engine once. for the price i think it is 'ok' la. how long it will last.....let's see.

Rleo6965

Known Member
Jun 22, 2012
Philippines
My friend just called me informing me that his 4G15 cylinder block was punctured by broken connecting rod due to engine overheat. His mechanic removed the sensor wire of coolant overheat alarm sensor wire that I installed. The mechanic did not inform him that he disabled the coolant alarm. Very bad news from my friend.:banghead:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Thank you all for the feedbacks.... believe me, every opinions count

Although it maybe a while for me to purchase the said gauge due to current financial issue...

my list so far are as follow (the most realistical la) for brand new gauge
  1. Shadow (due to price + good feedback)
  2. Defi (might take longer time to purchase)

but please do keep the discussion open for the benefit of others like me

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

My friend just called me informing me that his 4G15 cylinder block was punctured by broken connecting rod due to engine overheat. His mechanic removed the sensor wire of coolant overheat alarm sensor wire that I installed. The mechanic did not inform him that he disabled the coolant alarm. Very bad news from my friend.:banghead:
sorry for his losses

Rleo6965

Known Member
Jun 22, 2012
Philippines
Audible was warning was important to be able for you to immediately stop your engine. Prolonged overheating engine will cause damage to rubber valve seals, oil seals which result "leaking" inside the engine.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
Yesterday I made the silliest but potentially dangerous to my engine... not to mention to my family

I was at my mum's house @ kajang. Being the paranoid me, I've check my radiator before departing to my house @ Ampang via MRR2.

The mistake was, I forgot to put the cap back on :stupid:

Realized when nearing pandan indah (before the u -turn flyover) when me and wifey smells something off, like a burnt coolant.. before this when the engine overheat, we detected it because the air-con felt hot and smell of burnt coolant...

looking at the oem meter shows the meter fluctuate from middle point (normal in a turbo L5 engine) to nearing redline (when boosting)... but never reach the redline...

parked below the u - turn flyover (got a bus stop there), open the hood and I saw the steam rises :banghead:

amazing thing is, the radiator cap sit still on the battery throughout the journey w/o falling off during the rather bumpy ride hehe

luckily my friend's was nearby and I can ask him to bring distilled water to replenish the radiator... up until today, no issue, whether engine or temperature

no audible alarm, but very good smell alarm :rofl:

Last edited:

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
any of you tried Works gauge?
Not sure.... but wanna share my pomen's thought

"those cap ayam meter always useless after a couple of months, but at least the beeping still works"

no wonder he still use his knockoff defi gauge heehee

abunawas

Known Member
Nov 18, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
bro, Works also considered ayam....hmmm.....they look to be quite good from my internet search...anybody use Works products before can feedback?

thanks

actually i have a NRG water meter in another i sold so far almost 1.5 years no probs , but want to try something else now.

Defi is of coz good but i dont want car to be a theft magnet for now.

papagoines

Orang Tua
Feb 6, 2006
Rawang/Selangor
not saying works is cap ayam brand... just saying, if a cap ayam brand can still have audible alarm when its meters gone wonky for sure 3rd or maybe 4th tier original brand (think nrg, autogauge, works etc) even better rite?

bro, Works also considered ayam....hmmm.....they look to be quite good from my internet search...anybody use Works products before can feedback?

thanks

actually i have a NRG water meter in another i sold so far almost 1.5 years no probs , but want to try something else now.

Defi is of coz good but i dont want car to be a theft magnet for now.

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
yes papagoines is right....
I don't think works falls into 'ayam' brand because it stand by its own brand...it is not an imitation, eg: defi, pivot, apexi whereby you can buy say a boost gauge for less than Rm100 brand new.

for me 'ayam' brand is more like an inexpensive yet unproven brand which reliability and accuracy is the main issue and also luck dependent in terms of the gauge longevity or life...and as we can see...most of them are imitation.

expectation and stigma plays role I guess.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys, I would like to ask is there any workshop which can provide good quality of car service in Butterworth area as I'm new here. I need to find a place to service my car.

Thanks.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience