vtec setting

Oct 4, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hai..

i just bought 1991 sm4 converted with h22a about a month. lots of thing to know..

1) vtec is open when rpm 5k-6k right? (almost what speed ..km/h)?

2) can setting vtec to lower rpm..4k? i just try 140km/h & didn't feel vtec open. also dont know whether my vtec is function or not.

3) can use NGV for h22a? can vtec functioning/open?

4) just test auto cruise (push on cruise button) at 80km/h - 120 km/h also not function, what the problem? coz cruise sensor is ok (didnt alight)

thanks in advance..

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
normal b-series engine, vtec opens at 5.8k rpm, for h22a, not too sure but perhaps its the same. doesn't matter the speed, as long your rpm hits 5.8k, the vtec will open.

2) can setting vtec to lower rpm..4k? i just try 140km/h & didn't feel vtec open. also dont know whether my vtec is function or not.
can, but u need some management or a vtec controller. i wouldn't advise shifting the point to lower unless u have done a fair bit on ur engine. else, why wanna disrupt the JDM setting?

can, and i believe vtec will still open, but why NGV? petrol prices aren't that expensive these days... and NGV will weight your car down..

4) just test auto cruise (push on cruise button) at 80km/h - 120 km/h also not function, what the problem? coz cruise sensor is ok (didnt alight)
wiring problem kut? this one i can't really answer as i have no idea on auto cruise and its how-it-works.

syam101

Oct 4, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
thanks for reply arrowhead

1) normal b-series engine, vtec opens at 5.8k rpm, for h22a, not too sure but perhaps its the same. doesn't matter the speed, as long your rpm hits 5.8k, the vtec will open.
i will try it. anyboby done it?

2) can, but u need some management or a vtec controller. i wouldn't advise shifting the point to lower unless u have done a fair bit on ur engine. else, why wanna disrupt the JDM setting?
coz i rarely reach 5.8k rpm. want use for overtake or short speeding. if use vtec controller also need to be done a bit on engine?what it is?

3) can, and i believe vtec will still open, but why NGV? petrol prices aren't that expensive these days... and NGV will weight your car down..
compare to NGV more save..if vtec can open..but will weight the car..will consider it...

4) wiring problem kut? this one i can't really answer as i have no idea on auto cruise and its how-it-works
if not mistaken..cruise for lock the fuel/petrol for certain speed for relax your right leg at highway. need to check with mechanic. but if with NGV also can't use that cruise, right?.

thnks bro..

arrowhead

Aug 20, 2004
Damansara/PJ
if u use vtec controller, its just this electrical item which looks like maybe a turbo timer/speed meter size, u dont have to do anything to the engine. just connect to the right wires and u can control which RPM u want the vtec to open, but again, i dont recommend it.

it was set at original 5.8k rpm for a reason, opening it too early would not give u more power.. in fact, overall, u'll loose power/torque..

rakyat

Known Member
Apr 7, 2009
hai..

i just bought 1991 sm4 converted with h22a about a month. lots of thing to know..

thanks in advance..
H22A Vtec engage on 4.8k or 5k rpm, u can set it lower (4.5k) but go too low and u sacrifice drivability and torque. To engage Vtec u need to drag the gear until the appropriate rpm.

Next time try not changing to higher gear (but don't redline:proud:) @ 5k rpm u will feel a sudden surge of 'pick-up', rpm climbs faster and the exhaust tone change to 'praaaang' thats Vtec power!

Auto cruise rosak ko. Check ur autocruise fuse 1st.

syam101

Oct 4, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
thanks all..

for your info my h22a is auto.. that why difficult to control rpm & to feel the vtec..have to try again

anything will consider & check from that advise..thanks..

rakyat

Known Member
Apr 7, 2009
thanks all..

for your info my h22a is auto.. that why difficult to control rpm & to feel the vtec..have to try again

anything will consider & check from that advise..thanks..
For auto, go to a h/way (road that you can sprint) engage the sport (S) button, drive normally then slam your accelerator (2/3 or floor it) the gears will not change until probably 6k rpm or 6.5k rpm sure engage VTec-1 unless u run out of road or loosen your accelerator foot.

If Vtec does not engage then probably:

1. lose of oil pressure (not enuf engine oil?)
2. CEL code is on (check engine light)
3. VTec solonid rosak (single solonoid next to ur Dizzy instead of the double at bottom of the engine)

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
auto vtecs u need to press fully n dont let go. trust me...after u feel it once, u'll be doing pedal to the metal a lot more often. dont worry....the ecu wont let it get to redline. after 2nd gear it'll auto shift up at about 200rpm before redline.

syam101

Oct 4, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
For auto, go to a h/way (road that you can sprint) engage the sport (S) button,

Since you highlight sport button (S)..that button have at gear handle..but didn't have light (S) & auto light (P,R,N,D..) in meter. i thought last owner convert from manual to auto without change the meter.

A) So..don't know sport button (S) function or not..got sensor/fuse for checking? may be need to change meter
B) Can i change to SV4 meter? it's can fix to SM4 dashboard? it's look better for me &

C) what the top speed for H22A auto..cause my meter only until 180km/h. i saw meter SV4 2.2 auto (may be F22B engine) is 220km/h.

1. lose of oil pressure (not enuf engine oil?) - Just change last month
2. CEL code is on (check engine light) - need to check
3. VTec solonid rosak (single solonoid next to ur Dizzy instead of the double at bottom of the engine) - also need to check

anything thanks a lots for advise..

Last edited:

rakyat

Known Member
Apr 7, 2009
For auto, go to a h/way (road that you can sprint) engage the sport (S) button,

Since you highlight sport button (S)..that button have at gear handle..but didn't have light (S) & auto light (P,R,N,D..) in meter. i thought last owner convert from manual to auto without change the meter.

A) So..don't know sport button (S) function or not..got sensor/fuse for checking? may be need to change meter
B) Can i change to SV4 meter? it's can fix to SM4 dashboard? it's look better for me &

C) what the top speed for H22A auto..cause my meter only until 180km/h. i saw meter SV4 2.2 auto (may be F22B engine) is 220km/h.

1. lose of oil pressure (not enuf engine oil?) - Just change last month
2. CEL code is on (check engine light) - need to check
3. VTec solonid rosak (single solonoid next to ur Dizzy instead of the double at bottom of the engine) - also need to check

anything thanks a lots for advise..

Just tekan the button and the ecu will switch gears at higher rpm, whether there is indicator or not nvm just cosmetic. You can change to an auto dashboard and do the wiring but cost money w/o increasing power = waste money:biggrin:

Unless u rechip ur ECU, the OEM has a speedcut @ 180 km/h even if the meter can go up to 220 km/h (i think applicable to all Japo imports, CBU or halfcut engines, if ckd then mayb no speedcut)

CEL y need to check? If the 'check engine' light is on you definetly can see it when driving; you can also feel you can being sluggish. Just do what I mention (flooring the accelerator) and see whether there is any effect after 5k rpm feel Vtec engage or not.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi all,

I am in need to have my satria's caster adjusted.

please suggest a shop that can perform caster adjustments..

my front two wheels aren't straight when steering is at centre position

thanks upfront
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience