Turning Your Camera Upside Down ? - READ

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
Get Better Portraits by Turning Your Camera Upside Down?

File under oddity: Website Digital Camera University says that you can take better portraits (that is, pictures of people's faces) if you turn your digital camera upside down.

Why? It has to do with the location of the flash: Since it's mounted above the lens it creates slight shadows by the way the light bounces off the lines on your subject's face, which makes wrinkles and blemishes look more noticeable than they should. By turning the camera upside down, the light (now coming from beneath the lens) hits the face at a slightly different angle, creating a slightly different image. That's the theory, anyway.

Looking at the close-up on the site's sample images you can indeed see the difference the writer is talking about if you look at the lines around the model's eyes fairly closely. But I tried it myself to make sure this wasn't a hoax. When shooting an adult face, it was very clear that the upside-down tip did indeed reduce the appearance of lines. The crease around the mouth was noticeably less visible in the upside-down shot I tried than in the regular portrait. However, there was one unintended side effect: The upside-down shot made her face look much redder than it should have, for reasons I can't explain.

I also tried the trick on my four-year-old daughter, but since she is not yet jaded and beaten down by the cruel world, she doesn't have facial lines. I couldn't tell the difference between the side-by-side shots of her.

As the linked site itself notes, the effect is subtle and difficult to see, but it does exist. Is it something I'll do regularly? Probably not, unless repeated portraits keep turning out badly. But it's a neat little party trick that you ought to try at least once when snapping a shot of grandma.

sakuraguy

5,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Sendai, JAPAN.
www.zerotohundred.com
Turn Your Digital Camera Upside Down For Better Portraits.

Flipping your digital camera over for better portraits is a technique you won’t find in your digital camera owners manual.

If you are using your compact digital camera and flash for shooting a portrait here’s a suggestion that you might never consider, turn your camera upside down.

Believe it or not by turning your camera upside down impacts how the light from the flash illuminates your subject. Most people have circles under their eyes and when you turn your camera upside down the flash hits the skin at a different angle and helps diminish the circles and makes them look younger.

The first photo was taken in the normal position with the flash on top.

In this second photo I flipped the camera upside down.

Notice in the second photo because the angle of the light from the flash is now hitting her skin at a different angle it helps reduce lines and is a more flattering light.

True, the effect is subtle. However, if you show someone a photo of themselves using this technique they will like the upside down flash version better, guaranteed.

Also, these photos are REALLY closeup! In a normal proportioned photo the effect is even more flattering.

Give it a try!

Source : www.digitalcamerau.com

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
thanks for sharing. persoanlly I can see the difference. Maybe it is there but a bit subtle for me to notice, for a guy, I mean.

Anyway, you can never know abt this matter when it come to gerls. They tend to see many things that guys don't realised......like nose hair...hahahahah

ExceL

1,500 RPM
Jan 6, 2004
Ampang/KL
Visit site
Er, the distance between your average point-and-shoot's flash lens is so small, it woudnt make a difference. Or maybe, just maybe, people should learn(yea I know, its crazy) how to use a camera?. Flip it however you want, the physical state of the lens & flash isnt going to change.

The only real thing you can do is diffuse the light from the flash.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm drive satria 1.6 SOHC and converted to DOHC (1.8 DOHC head only), others still standard.. I'm just wanna do a little bid modification and can you guys help me & give some advice on this particular modification.. tq

1) can I use MIVEC injector 240cc on this head
2) how about exhaust? what size is suitable 2" or 2.2", straight one or just follow
S type (like original)
3) throttle body wanna use V6, it's ok??

hope all of u guys can help me..

TQVM..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience