Trim Restore

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
There are several ways to my knowledge on how to get trims restored. Applying a product on top of it might or might not work. Depends what sort of damage the trims are in. Some have even managed to restore trims simply using a heat gun to re-melt the top plastic layer (search in Youtube). Tried that myself and is a little risky with a knack to getting it right. If plastic is flaky and brittle little that you can do.

Products that I know of to restore trims:
Spray on plastic trim protectants. Hides/restorer the damage to the plastic trim a little. Works if damage to plastic is minimal but doesn't last long. Tried Optimum opti-bond tire gel which works on mildly faded trims and gives it a nice black sheen but being water based it gets washed off a bit with rain/car wash. Tried Einzett plastic/rubber protectant which works well and last a little longer. There are also OTC likes: Meguiars, etc but durability is about the same.

Resin based trim restorer which lasts much longer than those spray ons, can try Soft99 Black parts one. Cost <RM50. Available in most supermarkets and Autobacs.
BLACK PARTS ONE -Unpainted Resin Parts Refresh Kit- | Coating Agent | Exterior Car Care | Car Care Products | SOFT99 corporation

I've also tried Dodo Tyromania which is a wax for tire/trims. Works great but needs a knack to applying it properly without wax streaks.

There are also trim coatings out there but would cost a bomb (Dodo Supernatural gloss/satin trim sealant, 22ple plastic and trim restorer, CarPro PERL, ... etc)...

I would go for the Soft99 Black Parts One as it is affordable, available and lasts longer than those spray ons.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
eohl79 : Is soft99 black parts oil based?

My door panels were cleaned recently but I don't know with what. All the panels are shiny but there's no oily residue, and is dry to touch. Whatever it is I want a bottle of it!

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008

My door panels were cleaned recently but I don't know with what. All the panels are shiny but there's no oily residue, and is dry to touch. Whatever it is I want a bottle of it!
I can think of 2 products that can do that:
1. Duragloss 203 Vinyl & Leather Dressing
2. 303 Aerospace Protectant

.....or....maybe it's simply because they're REALLY clean....:rolleyes:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

How much are #1 and #2? And trust me.. it can't be THAT clean :biggrin: My car is old!

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
First of all, may I ask what material is that trim? Plastic, aluminium, metal or metallised plastic? Each requires different product. i recently tried autoglym metal polish for metals (aluminium, chrome) and finished off with autoglym super resin polish. Works like a gem. I'll post some pics in my next post where i worked on the chrome exhaust.

But if plastic, just use autoglym super resin polish. Not bad.

After restoring, protect it with sealants such as opti seal or dodo juice trim sealant (forgot the exact name).

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Any products to restore blackness to the door's rubber trim/seal? Saw mighty mods use the "Forever Black" product above, so was wondering if a similar product available in Malaysia.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Malaysia? Then try Osren Reblack maybe? I've never tried it though... Maybe you can try and share some results here...

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
First of all, may I ask what material is that trim? Plastic, aluminium, metal or metallised plastic? Each requires different product. i recently tried autoglym metal polish for metals (aluminium, chrome) and finished off with autoglym super resin polish. Works like a gem. I'll post some pics in my next post where i worked on the chrome exhaust.

But if plastic, just use autoglym super resin polish. Not bad.

After restoring, protect it with sealants such as opti seal or dodo juice trim sealant (forgot the exact name).
Mine grey plastic. Dunno what the fella used to clean but it's still so shinnnneyyy

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
How much are #1 and #2? And trust me.. it can't be THAT clean :biggrin: My car is old!
#1 retails for around RM50/16oz (473ml)
#2 retails RM80/forgot the size.

Any products to restore blackness to the door's rubber trim/seal? Saw mighty mods use the "Forever Black" product above, so was wondering if a similar product available in Malaysia.
You can try Meguiars Ultimate Protectant/Ultimate Black. Haven't use Forever Black before so can't compare but the Megs UP can restore (in a limited way) and protect rubber/plastic.

Malaysia? Then try Osren Reblack maybe? I've never tried it though... Maybe you can try and share some results here...
Reblack on trim - yes. But don't use it on rubber door seals. It's oily (silicone based) and would stain the adjacent paint. And even for trims, better use sparringly and do a 2nd wipe after leaving it for a few minutes so that the access won't wash down and stain anything below it.

For rubber door seal, best product I've used, so far, that would shine and doesn't leave any oil (at all) is Einszett Gummipflege. Unfortunately...bla bla bla...can't find anybody here selling it....

eohl79

Known Member
Jun 12, 2011
Kuala Lumpur

Soft99 is resin based. You get a real resin coat and not some oily film on top of the trims. It is a kit: applicator, base cleaner, coating.

Izso, where did you get it cleaned?

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

Ahhh... yes 303. Haven't got a chance to try it yet. This month budget burnt on sealant, coating. Next month :P

Can try water based product like Optimum Tire Gel... called a tire gel but works great on rubber/trims. Since it is door's rubber seal and away from rain and usual car wash, it should last a while. Bought it for RM50 @ 32oz, can dilute 1:1 with water. Pretty cheap and no it does not comes with any aliens in it :rofl: Have not tried the "Forever Black" before. Maybe somebody who did can chip in for a review.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Soft99 is resin based. You get a real resin coat and not some oily film on top of the trims. It is a kit: applicator, base cleaner, coating.

Izso, where did you get it cleaned?
Don't know. It was done for me when I had my car resprayed

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Door panel with DG203

Leg Rest area

Others

KrisMas

Known Member
Apr 1, 2008
^^^I can attest to the above as I'm also using it regularly for my interior rubbers and plastics. The finish is satin smooth with no oily residue.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

<object width="100%" height="250"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLSoe2S-5V0&amp=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="100%" height="250"></object>

Ferrari became the first team to launch its 2010 car, unveiling its new F10 challenger in Maranello last week.

The car was due to get its first run on Ferrari's Fiorano test track the same afternoon, but this was called off due to the track being covered in ice. After a...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience