Swapping Camshafts and valve springs

ATKTurbo

Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
I am a newbie here and currently drive Airtrek Turbo. I am thinking of replacing the stock cams with EVO 7 or 8 camshafts.

The stock Airtrek-T camshafts have a smaller lifts at 8.5 and steel material. I need advice on whether I need to replace the valve spring if I go for higher lifts EVO 7 or 8 camshafts?

The Evo 7/8 stock camshafts are hollow cams therefore lighter. I read that most Evo 7/8 in US do not replace their valve springs using camshafts with HKS 264.

Help!

moppy

Known Member
Feb 9, 2004
U want more power ka? I heard airtrek gearbox is the weakest.

If u power up your engine, make sure your gearbox can take the power.

If u want cheaper, get evo 4, 5, 6 n 6.5 samething.

klow

Jan 4, 2004
You need to install the valve spring too, the gear box can handle the power too.

Kenboy

Known Member
Apr 23, 2004
your power band will also move up the range of your rpm. whereas before the car will move briskly from 2k rpm onwards, you may sacrifice this part of your powerband for more power up top. this will make your car boggy when crusing, especially with your autobox.

unless you always redline the car, i wouldnt reccommend this mod on an airtrek.

klow

Jan 4, 2004
Don't think it will make the car boggy when crusing after this mod cause the cam lift is not too high. It will like a stock evo

eclips3

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Kuala lumpur
why did u get airtrek if u opt for more power?

u should get an evo6.5/7/8

less hassle isnt it:)

ATKTurbo

Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
I wanted a family SUV and this car fit the bill and budget. This car always comes in handy becos of the adjuatble seatings especially after a trip to ikea :)

I think the Evo 7/8 camshafts will fit nicely becos the camshafts durations and lifts are not that high. Some of my frens already install the Evo 7 cams with valve springs.

My question is that is the valve springs replacement necessary. I read most Evos with upgrade HKS camshafts 264/272 don't replace their stock valve springs.

Thanks for all your replies.