Surge Tank Chao Chao

f8.

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
hi guys,

maybe you already know this, so just ignore it then. but i just found out that apparently, there is more to hoses than meets the eye. been reading a lot of material from aeroquip & moquip(both aeroquip and the uk dealer think automotive's literature) and earl's and apparently, not all hoses are suitable to carry fuel.

in the past, it was ok. most hoses that are meant for oil can be used for fuel but today, gasoline fuels we get are sometimes known as sour fuel in that they contain additives that react with synthetic rubber/rubber. fuel manufacturers add these additives as lubricant for valvetrain due to the removal of lead or as anti knock and cleaning agents.

what these sour fuel causes is swelling when in prolonged contact with rubber and also permeation whereby the fuel permeates through the hose as vapour. this will explain why if you have an external surge tank in the boot with the associated fuel lines, you might get fuel vapour in your car even if the lines are steel braided. of course if you use a solid metal pipe this won't happen.

in essence, you must make sure that your hose is actually designated for use as a fuel hose. usually these hoses contain fluorine. an example would be tfe/ptfe(teflon) lined hoses such as aeroquip's TFE and earl's speed flex hose.

also, do not think that just because a hose appears to be steel braided it is good! there are many imitation hoses out there and you can actually add a stainless steel braid over any normal rubber hose. its just aesthetics. the proper aeroquip and earl's stuff have specifications to meet on maximum pressure and temperature and is much more than just an outer stainless steel braid. likewise their fittings too although they really cost 2 arms and a leg.

sorry for going on, but to recap make sure you use hoses that are actually designated fuel hose even if its just a rubber hose because it will contain flouro liners which make it resistant to fuels. else chao chao.

ramsing

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
if put ambi-puree, then chao chao no more rite? eheheh. but just dun smoke in the car la...after boom boom.....:o :D

f8.

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
heheh my car no surgetank but sometimes chao chao and canot smoke else really boom boom, usually after eating satay with lots of onions and kuah. thats when you press the ambi puree button and loads of windows go down, typically done by passengers, not me, dunno why.

MrNismo

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
Dr f8, I was also told that the vapor will escape via the joint where the hoses meet with the surge tank, fuel pumps & fuel filters. Some badly welded surge tanks will also allow vapor to escape from the welding points. Can you clarify that?

f8.

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
hmm good point. might well be too! didn't think about the fittings was too concentrated on the hoses as is typical of narrow minded people like yours trully hehehhe. apparently even with flourine based hoses, there is still some permeability but much reduced. i got this through my friend who manufacturers hoses.

wideawake

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by MrNismo@Mar 11 2004, 22:17
Dr f8, I was also told that the vapor will escape via the joint where the hoses meet with the surge tank, fuel pumps & fuel filters. Some badly welded surge tanks will also allow vapor to escape from the welding points. Can you clarify that?
I think my surge tank has some vapour + some fuels escaping from the joints. Can somebody recommend a way to seal the leaks from the joints?

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I thought this would be the PERFECT test car for the Castrol Edge as being an old car, this will really test out its protective properties. Also, it’s a heavy car with a 2.8cc engine so fuel consumption is generally on the high side. Since owning the car in December 2009, it’s been running on an average 6.3 – 6.4km per litre of fuel. It’s on a strict diet of RON95, being my daily drive and the ever rising cost...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience