Subaru Fans..(what Diffrent 'awd' & '4wd'?)

stevenlee27

Known Member
Oct 29, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
DEAR BRO'S SUBARU FANS, OWNER, IMPREZA, STI, SIFUS

I HAVE QUESTION HERE.
WHAT IS DIFFRENT THE 'AWD' (ALL WHEEL DRIVE) & 4WD (FOUR WHEEL DRIVE)?

DEEPLY THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY ME :cry_smile:

anfernee

Known Member
Jan 16, 2005
I think AWD is just the term commonly used by Subaru... there's no difference between that and 4WD... the engine is powering all wheels..

stevenlee27

Known Member
Oct 29, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
hello guys, i think dunno izzit true or not
the 'AWD' & '4WD' is still difference, some people said the 4WD will function when was 60kmph or ....., (izzit EVO),

wetsprocket

Known Member
May 12, 2005
bolehland
Subaru's AWD is permanently on 50front/50rear at all speeds, except for WRX STi, where you can change the torque split on the move between 50front/50rear to 35front/65rear.

Most passenger cars meant for slippery tarmac or dirt / gravel track use (WRC conditions) like the Impreza, Evo, Audi Quattro, etc. will use AWD systems. Most "real" offroad cars like Landrover Defender, Toyota Landcruiser, Mitsubishi Pajero, etc. will use 4WD systems.

The main difference is in the type of differentials used. The differential system transfers torque to the wheels which are not slipping, relative to each other. In real offroading situations, you will need differentials which can fully "lock" the torque to be transmitted to the non-slipping wheels, meaning, if one wheel is slipping, then 100% of the torque goes to the other 3 wheels. You can see this in operation during serious very slow speed 'camel trophy' situations in the jungle. Most manufacturers call these systems 4WD.

In WRC-like conditions, the cars will be racing on tarmac, dirt or gravel tracks or snow, which is still very fast, but very rough or slippery. These kind of situations dont need differentials which can fully "lock" the torque, but is actually faster for the car to shift only part of the power from wheel to wheel as required. Most manufacturers call these systems AWD.

For example, the WRX STi has 3 viscous coupling differentials (front, centre and rear) which does exactly that.

wetsprocket

Known Member
May 12, 2005
bolehland
Depends on what kind of 'offroad'.

If Camel Trophy type offroad - very slow, very rough, going through jungles and mud, etc., then 4WD better.

If WRC rally type offroad - very fast, gravel track, wet tarmac, snow, etc., then AWD better.

stevenlee27

Known Member
Oct 29, 2005
www.freeloadmp3.com
thanks again wetsprocket for imformation

my friends here he brought new subaru car asking me...
where i can find subaru workshop?(not include Dataran AWD)
for the check wheel alignment n services

sabelt

500 RPM
Dec 7, 2003
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
stevenlee27 said:
thanks again wetsprocket for imformation

my friends here he brought new subaru car asking me...
where i can find subaru workshop?(not include Dataran AWD)
for the check wheel alignment n services
Please visit mysubaruclub.com for more info

khairiaz

Known Member
Jan 21, 2006
wetsprocket said:
Subaru's AWD is permanently on 50front/50rear at all speeds, except for WRX STi, where you can change the torque split on the move between 50front/50rear to 35front/65rear.

Most passenger cars meant for slippery tarmac or dirt / gravel track use (WRC conditions) like the Impreza, Evo, Audi Quattro, etc. will use AWD systems. Most "real" offroad cars like Landrover Defender, Toyota Landcruiser, Mitsubishi Pajero, etc. will use 4WD systems.

The main difference is in the type of differentials used. The differential system transfers torque to the wheels which are not slipping, relative to each other. In real offroading situations, you will need differentials which can fully "lock" the torque to be transmitted to the non-slipping wheels, meaning, if one wheel is slipping, then 100% of the torque goes to the other 3 wheels. You can see this in operation during serious very slow speed 'camel trophy' situations in the jungle. Most manufacturers call these systems 4WD.

In WRC-like conditions, the cars will be racing on tarmac, dirt or gravel tracks or snow, which is still very fast, but very rough or slippery. These kind of situations dont need differentials which can fully "lock" the torque, but is actually faster for the car to shift only part of the power from wheel to wheel as required. Most manufacturers call these systems AWD.

For example, the WRX STi has 3 viscous coupling differentials (front, centre and rear) which does exactly that.
excellent explaination. thanks dude.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Yesterday evening, Volkswagen Passengers Cars Malaysia (VPCM), a subsidiary of Volkswagen Group Malaysia (VGM), launched the all-new Volkswagen CC at the Kuala Lumpur Performing Arts Centre (KLPAC). The CC touts to carry an evolutionary design, with better dynamic performance, handling, innovative driver assist innovations and uncompromised active and passive safety...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience