Speedo prob: Inaccurate reading...

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
hi guys,

i tested my speedo just now while cruising on the highway at a relatively constant speed of 80km/h (according to my speedo) however, after noting the time taken to travel 1km at 80km/h which took 53.22 secs (powered by Nokia 6510) which means that i was only going at 67km/h (+/-)5km/h for any uncertain factors. this means that my speedo is almost 20% off what it should be!!!

i've heard of ppl saying that all proton cars come with the speedo tuned that way...but would like to know if others are facing this prob. the car in question is a putra 98/99 model btw.

umm, can i get it tuned back to real world speed at proton/eon or my mech eh?

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
really ar...?

tats y after chnaging 2 lancer dash n meter...when i travel at 80km...it feels like 90/100 4 the stock wira speedo...i was like traveling faster...

Joeker

Walking Dead
Nov 19, 2003
Jinjang
Visit site
U driving Putra rite?

Did u or the previous owner mess with the speedo (like changin white face panel or removing the needle of speedo)

taqu

Known Member
Dec 17, 2004
Visit site
My speedo is also off about 5%. I don't know whether they're any place u can correct ur speedo, but the expensive way to get accurate speedometer reading could be : 1. GPS 2. SAFC ;)

whatdamn

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
Cheras, KL, Mal
joeker,
i thought of that too as the dashboard has been removed before by one of the previous owners. but i don't really know if they've tampered with the speedo or not.

taqu,
i think u meant RSM right, not SAFC. umm, anyway not considering those options but looking for a way to calibrate the speedo back to normal. i mean, 20% is alot man!

deluxe

Sep 23, 2004
anybody send their car to puspakom to reconfirm the speedometer reading? i believe they can check it for you.

lix

Known Member
Nov 5, 2004
Visit site
Ya loh... i also face the same problem last time. When i'm travel at 160kmh, i was over took by my friend honda which only travel at 140kmh. Nothing can do to correct this matter, i just change the tyre from 185/60/14 to 185/70/14 to sub-set the reading but i suffer the slower pickup loh...

How come Proton can't do anything about this?
Imagine you will spend more especially on oil change intervals and timing belts cos the odometer will indicate the mileage that we travel. shown 85,000km, actual 65,000km. Shown 5000km, actual 4500km. WTF :confused: :mad: :confused: :mad:

simon

Known Member
Mar 31, 2005
out from proton factory the speedo reading is accurate...but things like changing to bigger diameter tyres , changing the meter face panel which requires pulling out the needle or changing the meter to that of other cars, spoilt meter gears are some factors which renders unaccurate meter reading.....its very difficult to recalibrate the meter especially if the needle has been removed & fixed back because the meter coiling would have run off.....upgrading to bigger rims is also the cause....if from 175/70R13 to 185/60R14 or 195/50R15 the meter reading would not be effected much....the best way to compare is run alongside with the same model car as yours which has not been "touched" at all & quite new........

i have one doubt....a kancil , a mercedes , a wira , a motorbike running at 130km/h .....would they be all running "alongside" or the merc would be ahead & the kancil the last eventhough their respective meter show 130km/h....say that all their meters are in perfect condition........and also say the police have mounted a speed trap ahead.....would all of them be fined or only some ???

Jackie Leong

1,000 RPM
Dec 24, 2003
KL, Malaysia
cooltechz.blogspot.com
simon said:
out from proton factory the speedo reading is accurate...but things like changing to bigger diameter tyres , changing the meter face panel which requires pulling out the needle or changing the meter to that of other cars, spoilt meter gears are some factors which renders unaccurate meter reading.....its very difficult to recalibrate the meter especially if the needle has been removed & fixed back because the meter coiling would have run off.....upgrading to bigger rims is also the cause....if from 175/70R13 to 185/60R14 or 195/50R15 the meter reading would not be effected much....the best way to compare is run alongside with the same model car as yours which has not been "touched" at all & quite new........

i have one doubt....a kancil , a mercedes , a wira , a motorbike running at 130km/h .....would they be all running "alongside" or the merc would be ahead & the kancil the last eventhough their respective meter show 130km/h....say that all their meters are in perfect condition........and also say the police have mounted a speed trap ahead.....would all of them be fined or only some ???
i doubt the 4 vehicles would be running alongside each other.. not good with explaining, but that's just my opinion.

if all of the cars are travelling at their actual speed 130km/h which is above the speed limit and coming across a speed-trap camera mounted by traffic police, i'm pretty sure all of them will fined..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

No one knew what it was going to be called at first, some dubbed it the M1, after the original 80's legend, but BMW decided to hold on to that name, choosing instead to sire the new car, the 1 Series M Coupe. Then the waiting began.

Now BMW has released a teaser video of the upcoming M model. Not much is known about the new Beemer except that it will sport an M badge but reports swirling around the internet...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience