Solution to drive-by-wire lag?

ryonan

Known Member
Aug 13, 2004
Among other things, Trial recommends to install this TREC (if i'm not mistaken thats whats its call) thing..
black box thing that helps to improve response and reduces the infamous altezza "turbo" lag problem..hehe..

can anyone give feedback on them? or any other solution? I know clipguy have installed it. i test drove his ride few months back but cannot recall la the performance doc...worth ke to buy?

i think there's another simialr type of device in the market...called DCPM or something like that. their market is beemers..which have same "problem" as altezzas...
bit costly...listed price over 2k..but they had a promotion few months back...just under 1.5k..

anyone?

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
Ryonan..I have been asking the same question you are asking...hehehe..
The bros here been telling me to get a TREC ( Throttle response electronic control..) fix to my car for the when I complain about the slow low torque response. Clipguy,Mr.TIE and the rest have it fixed to their car and they are all happy about the unit...As for me..I am still thinking..hehhehe

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
Hey Ryonan...try this link THROTTLE@ELECTRNIC@CONTROLTREC@-TREC AT1-@it gives a brief description of what a TREC is and it's uses...by the way you need to translate the website coz it is in japanese..
I m still checking on the way it works on our car...will provide more links when I find them.
And it seems the DC unit is not a different unit to the TREC...it actually works with the TREC to form a system for tweaking the performance of the car..hope it helps for the moment.

Last edited:

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
Hi guys,this is interesting,i don't really drive an Altezza,but i do admire it and my bro own one.Drive by wire is usually laggy,like the new proton campro and others.Its not the ECU cannot open the throttle fast enuff,but it is programmed that way for various manufacturer reasons.I have an experience replacing the standard campro ecu with a motec drive by wire system and motec work wonders.The response of the throttle is greatly improved,it's a relationship between input and output that matters in DBW system.With motec,the relationship can be manipulated,which is according to our need,whether to open the throttle more than pedal position or not.I guess TREC works the same way,and improvements should be felt.Just my 2cent:regular_smile:

ryonan

Known Member
Aug 13, 2004
thanks bro..
i'm pretty sure it improves the response...but is it worth it?
also changed the fuel pump few weeks ago..
did u change yours?

ryonan

Known Member
Aug 13, 2004
bro,

at the moment i cant appreciate the benefits of having drive-by-wire. even my old potong dont have such lag..hehehee..
but since a lot of luxury and high performance car have them, surely its good stuff right..?

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
Good stuff to isolate the driver from full control of the car,hehe.Well most cars nowadays have traction control,emission control etc etc,DBW have some benefit in those areas,for instance traction control,the ecu can shut the throttle when it detects wheel spin.Like ferrari which have 2 or 3 modes of operation,in the race mode it will open the throttle aggressively compared to normal modes.Thats why more manufacturer are into DBW for their high end cars.DBW also simplifies things,normal EFI engine have so many vacuum valves for idling such as a/c idle valve and power steering idle valve.But these valve is eliminated with DBW system.The ecu can simply open the throttle more to manipulate the idle speed.No need Idle SPeed control valve,but some DBW still have a few bypass valve though.

leofric32

Known Member
May 25, 2006
I haved installed the TREC since at least 6 months back and to me it does improve the performance and reduces the lag. The feeling was when it is changing gear and you feel it continues to go. Before the TREC, whenever gear chaning, you will feel, the RPM drops and go up again. With TREC, this has been improve, the RPM stays.

Then I have also changed the fuel pump, and the feeling is different but still i feel it improves the low-end further, lighter feeling.

I hope it helps and worth doing this 2 upgrades.

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
Yeah..I did change my fuel pump..(plus point is that my fuel pump was kaput also)..and it does improve the response to a certain level. But in my case..I have installed the PowerFC into my car and with the new AF mapping the response is way way better than before. That is why I am still thinking if the TREC will add any difference to the response of my car at this stage of modifications. Maybe I should save my money and put it to better use like port&polish or changing my cams...hehehe.
But for those that wants to keep their car stock..this is probably the addition you would want to put in yr car..

leofric32

Known Member
May 25, 2006
I agree with you, GreyTezza. How much an add-ons can increase the performance without major mod. So better use the money for something with more obvious improvement. Always can go back to the Trec in the future

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
TREC shouldn't be so expensive, doesn't add HP but hell it make your car jump.....

Bl@cK-TeZZ@

500 RPM
Apr 15, 2006
I was very happy with the TREC when i first installed it, but now no feeling coz already used to it....:)

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
Lenon,how much do yo pay for yr TREC???...shouldn't be expensive is a very vague description of the price....prob 1K to you is chicken feed..but to most of us is hard earned mula $$$$$...hehehe...can buy 2 nice tires already. if no HP gained...hmmmmm...