Small, Hidden and yet could be fatal if kena by accident

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
At 1st was gaining confidence that proton is improving, after seeing this...really got to admit was kinda disappointed.

Treat us locals like this while create better quality protons for overseas...just cuz the rules are stricter
there that QC is always the priority? :banghead:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
They are using those self tapping screw from the looks of it...it's faster to screw on parts but downside is tapping screw thread don't last long the thread will get broken after a few screw on and off....and those bolts bolting the upper radiator plate and around that area those size 10..the quality also not very good..not just Proton..even other makes....I will usually just go to any hardware shop and buy a bunch of those size 10 bolts and nuts Stainless steel type..much harder and durable and change out all those cheap ones....I have experiences snapping the bolt in half with the thread still embedded inside the screw hole and have to take it out with a screw extractor.

Jusy my advice for any DIY kaki, stand by a set of retreading tools, starting from size M8 to M14 and some bolts from 8 to 14 also...just in case....aluminium is very soft and the threads can be easily broken....even I have a torque wrench I also accidentally broken 1 or 2 screws with it....due to over-torquing.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

At 1st was gaining confidence that proton is improving, after seeing this...really got to admit was kinda disappointed.

Treat us locals like this while create better quality protons for overseas...just cuz the rules are stricter
there that QC is always the priority? :banghead:
SF, if you look at on a bright side, it give us more chance to DIY and make it better....no??? I find it fun finding areas in cars that I can improve better than OEM....:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
They are using those self tapping screw from the looks of it...it's faster to screw on parts but downside is tapping screw thread don't last long the thread will get broken after a few screw on and off....and those bolts bolting the upper radiator plate and around that area those size 10..the quality also not very good..not just Proton..even other makes....I will usually just go to any hardware shop and buy a bunch of those size 10 bolts and nuts Stainless steel type..much harder and durable and change out all those cheap ones....I have experiences snapping the bolt in half with the thread still embedded inside the screw hole and have to take it out with a screw extractor.

Jusy my advice for any DIY kaki, stand by a set of retreading tools, starting from size M8 to M14 and some bolts from 8 to 14 also...just in case....aluminium is very soft and the threads can be easily broken....even I have a torque wrench I also accidentally broken 1 or 2 screws with it....due to over-torquing.

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

SF, if you look at on a bright side, it give us more chance to DIY and make it better....no??? I find it fun finding areas in cars that I can improve better than OEM....:biggrin:
For us or people who like to make improvements on a car then yes la bro. But for people
who just buy a car and drive, then is not really a good thing. Bad side to improve, are always
welcome but then such screws are kinda dangerous.

Lucky it was my hand only, if it was my head, I think if hit hard, I might be in coma or serious
head injury.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
May I know where I can get the rubber stopper mentioned here? Because I've always wanted to cover the screws on my speakers at my kancil's back board....

bare in mind, I bought and install the speaker at a local acc shop years ago so scraped hands are a norm. That's why I never allow anyone (bangla-cuci-kereta included) to open the rear bonnet....didn't know the solution are that simple huhuhu
Can get those door stoppers from pasar borong at 80cents or rm1. Stick on your screws. Sure would make your car rear quarter panel look interesting! :biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Why should I buy a car and proceed to fix it myself? Then what the f*** am I paying for?

Show what you mean by your money, don't buy Proton, go buy Toyota Vios.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Rather get a Honda City than Vios :biggrin:

oka887

Known Member
Jan 12, 2007
okayama
you should brought this problem to the proton.. ask them why the problem persist and you should ask them to take the problem to the upper people too.. so that they will know and make improvements..
this could improved proton in better year maybe..
sometimes maybe the worker are doing it because want to do easy work..

2,000 RPM
Feb 10, 2005
i think i also kena it before but i think it was done by accessory shop le. You should not fix it by yourself. Ask them to fix it, if they don't want sue them

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
you should brought this problem to the proton.. ask them why the problem persist and you should ask them to take the problem to the upper people too.. so that they will know and make improvements..
this could improved proton in better year maybe..
sometimes maybe the worker are doing it because want to do easy work..
Then I got to make sure if all Saga BLM is like that. Cuz if all are the same, then it has nothing
to do with the workers but the one who approved the whole project process in creating
the Saga BLM.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
internal accessories should use bolt & nut..

that type of screw is design for houses..
Was about to say that. Usually should be nut and bolt so they won't have sharp end coming out like that....:banghead:

Bro. SF,
Probably you can just file the end down so that it is not sharp...

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
ixeo, not just Proton have this....I have cars worth more than 200K also have minor problems or some lousy screws which snap...I also went and change all those myself....I rather fix the small problems DIY rather than sending the car there and wasting 1 day waiting at the service center to have it change not imagine you need to call and make appointment...to me, I just don't have so much luxury to wait and wait and wait....ya I might sound like an idiot or stupid to go fix it myself but I enjoy doing it.....

I don't blame those who bring their cars to SC even with the slightest problem because lack of knowledge on how to fix it but for those who knows how to fix it...well it's more worth while that I fix myself because I know I will fix it right the 1st time....I've worked in SC before and to be honest, I worked pretty fast and efficiently during my time and you know what the boss said to me? Don't work so fast after customer think you cincai do service....can you imagine doing an oil change on a car you need to spend minimum 1 and a half hour just to do that with all the tools and hydraulic jack....

oka887

Known Member
Jan 12, 2007
okayama
yup.. need to check also.. somebody in proton will know that.. if the worker in proton only do that because of laziness, the upper people of proton will know it.. and they will make improvements that it will not happen again.. maybe re-re-check the car again after finished assembly.. if it's because they really used that screw to fix the audio than you can do claim that the screw would be dangerous for anybody using the car or other proton cars also.. this will bring improvements in proton too.. some maybe said it's just a small problem.. but we should do what we can do to make it better..

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

ixeo, not just Proton have this....I have cars worth more than 200K also have minor problems or some lousy screws which snap...I also went and change all those myself....I rather fix the small problems DIY rather than sending the car there and wasting 1 day waiting at the service center to have it change not imagine you need to call and make appointment...to me, I just don't have so much luxury to wait and wait and wait....ya I might sound like an idiot or stupid to go fix it myself but I enjoy doing it.....

I don't blame those who bring their cars to SC even with the slightest problem because lack of knowledge on how to fix it but for those who knows how to fix it...well it's more worth while that I fix myself because I know I will fix it right the 1st time....I've worked in SC before and to be honest, I worked pretty fast and efficiently during my time and you know what the boss said to me? Don't work so fast after customer think you cincai do service....can you imagine doing an oil change on a car you need to spend minimum 1 and a half hour just to do that with all the tools and hydraulic jack....

yup..servis center in japan also used a lot of time.. if it will be taking time they will prepared the daisya (other car to be used for free).. yes..changing oil or oil filter will took over an hour.. as i can see.. here, although you just said to change the oil.. they will check other things too.. such as other oils, lamps, tyre, broken bush and they will tell you after the servis where is the problem.. and also refill the oil or window washer for free.. it took times but i'm satisfied with the work..
although a lot of time i sent to my friends garage that will take a lot of longer time but do the work perfectly..

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
oka, it's different here from Japan.....Malaysian style working very very different....I worked in service center before and I can see mostly the technicians work very slow and the what 24 check point...just a gimmick....sometimes work fast does not mean work simply....is work efficiently....

I know there are some service and work that take time but not all...

Last edited:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
I check my FLX and it also have this but the protruded screw is about 1 cm or less. I've measured it.

Then I put a shoe box to have a picture of the distance of the speaker from the trunk floor.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
oka, it's different here from Japan.....Malaysian style working very very different....I worked in service center before and I can see mostly the technicians work very slow and the what 24 check point...just a gimmick....sometimes work fast does not mean work simply....is work efficiently....

I know there are some service and work that take time but not all...

ya ya...in malaysia windscreen washer topup also wanna charge....be it toyota,proton,mazda (every brand do this)....

even check coolant also wanna charge.... :rofl:

even already using good semi-syn also they insist adding more oil treatment :banghead:

many B.S thing but only wanna sucks money from owner...

yes i checked this on many girl's car service book... :biggrin:

so back to this protuding screw...u just take picture, mend it with grinder or shorter screw...then logde report at proton care heck..even post to their facebook....so they will know what to improve on next new car.... :adore:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Was about to say that. Usually should be nut and bolt so they won't have sharp end coming out like that....:banghead:

Bro. SF,
Probably you can just file the end down so that it is not sharp...
Yup, thought of that. But will send feedback to proton.

I check my FLX and it also have this but the protruded screw is about 1 cm or less. I've measured it.

Then I put a shoe box to have a picture of the distance of the speaker from the trunk floor.
Your screw looks shorter though..

By the way,

Joe is actually just indirectly showing his Ultra Racing Strut Bars in his rear trunk :listen:
:vroam: lari 1st :rofl:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
SF, not for the reason I just find it hard for me to touch the speaker because the trunk is very big and even I reach in to the full I also very far from touching the speaker screw....I wonder how many stuff you keep inside the trunk...full until the speaker level.....

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
SF, not for the reason I just find it hard for me to touch the speaker because the trunk is very big and even I reach in to the full I also very far from touching the speaker screw....I wonder how many stuff you keep inside the trunk...full until the speaker level.....
Not actually full, just when i leave up the big plastic bags that have things inside to move it to the end of the rear trunk, cut my hand when i swing the stuffs.

Point is, ya we might not stall things that high up but then cleaning the rear trunk could be dangerous if anyone did not notice the screws...

oka887

Known Member
Jan 12, 2007
okayama
yea.. it's differents.. if malaysian or proton could do that too.. than it will be better..
but the screw is really dangerous.. for one speaker it will be 3 or 4 screw so double for 2 speakers..

and it means proton uses these type of screw in their car production.. haish!!
really need to do some complaints.

Last edited: