Silly question about air intake...

andyb

Jul 2, 2005
KL - Nilai
Was just wondering...

Wouldn't putting the air intake (i.e. air filter) inside the vehicle be better than having it in the engine bay? Has this been done before? Just wondering about this.. seeing how everyone's talking about CAI when you have cool air at all times inside the vehicle. Would anybody like to slap me over the head about this? Much appreciated. :)

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
air filter is inside the car one... CAI means u build a channel to channel the colder air from outside ur car engine bay directly into ur air filter...
when ur engine receives colder air, its response and Fc improves...

most people like to DIY their CAI... coz its not complicated ma... jz use a suitable diameter of a hose and connect it from ur car air filter to anywhere outside ur car engine bay...

yes, those DIY may look ugly... if u have the cash, go for aftermarket heat shield lo... they will separate the hot part and cold part of the car engine...

andyb

Jul 2, 2005
KL - Nilai
SkYwAlKeR said:
air filter is inside the car one... CAI means u build a channel to channel the colder air from outside ur car engine bay directly into ur air filter...
when ur engine receives colder air, its response and Fc improves...

most people like to DIY their CAI... coz its not complicated ma... jz use a suitable diameter of a hose and connect it from ur car air filter to anywhere outside ur car engine bay...

yes, those DIY may look ugly... if u have the cash, go for aftermarket heat shield lo... they will separate the hot part and cold part of the car engine...
I see your point... but my question is, how much cooler can the engine bay be from the INSIDE of your car? Meaning, where the passengers are seated. If you talk about COLD (really cold) air induction, then why not AIR-CONDITIONED induction? Wouldn't that be optimum cool air intake?

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
u want a slap?? i would give u a big SLAP!! haha!!

do u know dat how much air ur engine needs to burn n give power to move ur car?? if u let ur engine suck in air inside de car cabin... u will die of insufficient air within minutes...

EVO3gsr

Known Member
Jul 22, 2005
KL
khguan said:
u want a slap?? i would give u a big SLAP!! haha!!

do u know dat how much air ur engine needs to burn n give power to move ur car?? if u let ur engine suck in air inside de car cabin... u will die of insufficient air within minutes...

easy man...he is a noob...ahaha..he wan DIY one hose from AirCOn directly to his air filter...so can suck aircon air :rock:

andyb

Jul 2, 2005
KL - Nilai
Yeah, I'm a n00b. Let live to post another day. :) Anyway, just wanted an answer like the one you gave me. About sucking in so much air that you'll die of suffocation... not that I'm doing of doing that.. just wondered. Isn't that the reason why we have car forums?

Thanks for the generous amount of time.. and the slap. ;P

piston

Aug 20, 2005
earth
oh my GOD!!! i think u'll get more power by switching off the air-cond!!! DUHHH!! *SLAP* *SLAP*

EVO3gsr

Known Member
Jul 22, 2005
KL
andyb said:
Yeah, I'm a n00b. Let live to post another day. :) Anyway, just wanted an answer like the one you gave me. About sucking in so much air that you'll die of suffocation... not that I'm doing of doing that.. just wondered. Isn't that the reason why we have car forums?

Thanks for the generous amount of time.. and the slap. ;P
hey man...dun mad...dun mad.....ur not happy i guess

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
andyb said:
I see your point... but my question is, how much cooler can the engine bay be from the INSIDE of your car? Meaning, where the passengers are seated. If you talk about COLD (really cold) air induction, then why not AIR-CONDITIONED induction? Wouldn't that be optimum cool air intake?
sucking cold air from ur aircond will leave u with no air to breathe... plus, the hot air from engine might turn up in ur car cabin as well... so dont do it...
outside air is cold enough... i dont mean that i will freeze any water to ice... but at least it is much more colder than the air inside ur engine bay...
plus, when u moving, the air outside will be forced into the CAI (if u fix it outside or almost outside)....

andyb

Jul 2, 2005
KL - Nilai
EVO3gsr said:
hey man...dun mad...dun mad.....ur not happy i guess
harr?? mad?? heheh... it was just a question lahh.. don't worry ok? i'm not going to do it...

(Newspaper reads "Man dies of air intake suffocation in vehicle.")

hahahaha...

artraider

Known Member
Aug 15, 2005
Shah Alam
:banghead: hmm.. never thought of this question before. wonder is there sumone actually done it.

khguan

4,000 RPM
Aug 17, 2004
Seri Kembangan
fotopic.net
wello.. always consider the side effects b4 doing any DIY project... consider also whether it is practical or not... then it will save ur money n ur life...

beatnik

500 RPM
Nov 28, 2004
Visit site
waaahhhhhh

A-CAI

* air-cond air intake

no need filter also.. coz air inside cabin is clean.. never thought of this mod.. if nicely done sure successful

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
why dont make CAI like those off roaders??.. got huge huge pipe at the outside of the A pillar all the way to the roof... ahha.... flooded also wont scared...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Does any of you ever did replacement of existing seat rail bolt with eyebolt to mount racing harness belt? Where to get it? Specifically for proton wira/satria/putra.

I've been to a lot of hardware shops to find it but to no avail. Even the nuts and bolt shop near GT Auto in Sunway doesn't have the right one. The one that they sell is identical to the pic below but the sleeving doesn't fit to my car.

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience