Sgti squeaking sound

gggti

Known Member
Apr 1, 2005
n/a
My GTI is having squeaking sound when it is moving.
The sound is not very loud cuz u cant hear from cabin,but when wind down
the window u can hear clearly.
The sound is like steel grinding ....
Will the sound coming from my brake pad? rim? or ........
PLS HELP.

Joyride

Known Member
Dec 15, 2004
If the noise is continuesly come out problem the brake pad worn out. This can check easily by open up the wheel.
If it's on and off then probably is spring or absorber noise.
Oh, it may be is the oilseal located at the driveshaft too... this happen to my wira too. Change the oilseal will solve the problem.

RSGT

Known Member
Jun 23, 2004
hi gggti,

i believe that the steel grinding noise are worn front brake pads. i had the same symptoms last week on my SGTI and my pads were so worn out that the safety pin was scratching the discs that produced the grinding sound. got the pads replaced and no more grinding noise.

its much more worth it to have the pads checked first!!

cheers

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
err, your GTI is from which manufacturer?

Volkswagen? Opel? Ford? or Proton??

if Proton that is normal laa.. that noise comes as standard package. F.O.C, no hidden charges!

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Squeeking sound is from the rear parcel tray hinge

Hi! This is a common problem if u ask those guys in the GTi club.
If it sounds like rat squeeking when u are going over bumpy surface and the sound seems to come from inside the rear cabin area.. then I know what it is.

It could be the rear parcel tray hinge. U can try this experiment.

Remove your rear parcel tray from the car. Then take your car for a drive over the same bumpy surface when you last drove to see if the sound appears or not

If no sound, then confirm.. it's the rear parcel tray hinge.

The solution is simple... just stuff tissue paper into the hinges so that the hinge don't move and if it doesn't move, it won't make the squeeking sound.

gggti

Known Member
Apr 1, 2005
n/a
I also notice that the sound come from front wheel(driver side maybe)

The sound is continuos, even when i din pedal the brake,it just come out when
it is moving.

If wan to check brake pad ,by taking out wheel can only see brake disc,so how
to check brake pad further?

PLS ENLIGHTEN N ALSO THANKS FOR UR GUYS REPLY.

Zeroed

1,500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
I had a similar problem, it was the front driver side also. It sounded like "Ngieek.... " whenever there is a significant movement of the car. The problem: Lower arm.

You can perform a test to see if this is the problem: Stand beside your car, grab your car at the side of the roof, push yourself against a wall (If your suspension is stiff or you're small in size...hehehe) and shake horizontally your car the best you can. ;)

InitialD taikor, whats the rear parcel tray thing? Heheheh Im having that tikus sound. Must kill.

Last edited:

RSGT

Known Member
Jun 23, 2004
yes gggti even without braking and with the car on motion the screeching sound is a sign of worn brake pads. unfortunately to check the condition of the brake pads, you will have to remove the wheel and take out the pads from the calipers to see the condition. the safety pin at the end of the pads is causing the screeching sound.

its worth it to have the pads checked first.

Kopi

500 RPM
May 18, 2004
Cheras
Visit site
It's always advisable never drive with a standard proton brakepads. When u get ur car... first thing to change is the brakepad... get the expensive ones. U wont be sorry and your rotor disc oso won't feel sorry for itself...

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Zeroed, the rear parcel tray is that black board that lies behind your passenger seats. It's that tray/board when you open your hatch, it is hanging horizontal in front of u. Usually there are 2 strings ( one on each side of the tray ) holding the tray to the hatch.

gggti

Known Member
Apr 1, 2005
n/a
problem found, it is pin under the wheel cap(don no how to call that)

Thankssss all guy.

Also there r many sound lying underneath my dashboard,but as long as
it doed not affect my safety concious ,so i just let it be,already send to many
accessory shop, almost tie up every thing but the sound still there,sigh....

never mind ....cuz i have change one damn loud exhaust ,hehe