RX7 FD3S auto

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

akimoto

Known Member
hie all rotary sifus,

newbie here. a year 1992 rx7 fd3s auto tranny twin turbo. This engine is 13B or REW version?? Wats d difference between 13b and 13b-rew??

this car is meant for daily driving....no internal mods to be done. wat problems do i need to expect from daily driving condition??

also how much is full tank petrol?? How far it can go??

sorry for so much questions....wanna survey b4 getting one.

thanks all :) :) ;)

Hi akimoto,

A quick search on rx7forum.com will shed some light on your q's. Anyways i have a 93 version which was auto. I have had the car for 4 years. Never had a problem with my auto (1andhalf years). Things to look out for basically is the cooling system. Get a unit which is fairly ok and start wit reliability mods eg convert ast (air separation tank) to aluminium unit or you can remove (by getting a fc filler neck), hook up boost meter/water temp gauges, replace radiator higher capacity and you are good. The mods will cost you bout 1-2.5k depending on where. The auto is actually very nice if used for daily driver.

13b is the engine code 1300cc (1297 to be exact i think)
13bREW believe it or not "W" means twin turbo.

hope that helps.

dave

thanks for d info phat7.
I see...REW means twinturbo arr....all d while to my knowledge all FD are twinturbo hehe... :P :P didnt know got single turbo pulak.

so tat means a year 92 auto 13B is single turbo.
those wif twin snails are REW la. good good info there.

anymore inputs??? help appreciated :)

But getting an Auto, it would be safer (in a way),
less stress to the engine, as compared to a manual.

I just you should add additional oil cooler and atf cooler,
change the ATF regularly, it should be okay.

But by buying a rotary, you should expect to pay a lot for petrol.
A strict, weekend car.

Cheers

Originally posted by gti88@Oct 25 2004, 00:54

A strict, weekend car.

Cheers
Hi gti88,

Actually the heat on the auto transmission is higher compared to manual. Fortunately for me at least i had atf and oil coolers. Loved the auto. Petrol consumption for me with manual so far ok. I mean i use it to work only OUG-TAMAN DESA and back. Hardly even 15km a day.

Akimoto,

13B is the engine code. There was a 13B model for 92. I've personally seen the engine and i hear the throttle body is much sort after. Any member can perhaps correct me. As far as i know there is no stock single FD only twin turbos.

Phat7,

So how many KMs can yours do with each full tank fill ?
Which ATF cooler you used ? where you mount it ?
normally the left and right already used up for oil coolers. :lol:

Originally posted by phat7+Oct 25 2004, 01:02 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (phat7 @ Oct 25 2004, 01:02 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gti88@Oct 25 2004, 00:54

A strict, weekend car.

Cheers
Hi gti88,

Actually the heat on the auto transmission is higher compared to manual. Fortunately for me at least i had atf and oil coolers. Loved the auto. Petrol consumption for me with manual so far ok. I mean i use it to work only OUG-TAMAN DESA and back. Hardly even 15km a day.

Akimoto,

13B is the engine code. There was a 13B model for 92. I've personally seen the engine and i hear the throttle body is much sort after. Any member can perhaps correct me. As far as i know there is no stock single FD only twin turbos. [/b][/quote]
yeah man,no factory single turbo FD ever produced.

hey dave,what oil coolers u running with?share lerr.....

ah pang,

you using 2x Trust 12 layer oil coolers with Earl braided hose right ?

I bought the car with the addes coolers. After transplant i tapau the coolers back.

nice....very nice. so basically i need atf n oil cooler for mere daily driving.

as i can see....heat is rotary's biggest problem here. wat if i upgrade to larger intercooler...like those apexi gt or rb26 stock i/c...is it advisable? stock standard engine.
this car is to be driven by a lady driver. so...no full throttle, no extreme load on d engine.

btw, fuel consumption...very important :o full tank how much??? can go how far??

thanks all for d input :) ;)

akimoto,

single turbo 13B only in FC. intercooler only for cooling intake charge... if u dont upboost, useless to put such big intercooler. And produce lag somemore. The sifus above is talking about heat from the engine oil and water.

Originally posted by akimoto@Oct 24 2004, 17:47
hie all rotary sifus,

newbie here. a year 1992 rx7 fd3s auto tranny twin turbo. This engine is 13B or REW version?? Wats d difference between 13b and 13b-rew??

this car is meant for daily driving....no internal mods to be done. wat problems do i need to expect from daily driving condition??

also how much is full tank petrol?? How far it can go??

sorry for so much questions....wanna survey b4 getting one.

thanks all :) :) ;)
13B -stands for the original engine block . 2 rotors X 654 per rotor = 1308cc
REW -stands for rotary engine twin turbo
13BTT - is an FC single turbo

See that it is a lady driver , you would want to concentrate on reliability mods like better radiator , good oil coolers , New vaccum hoses , proper ducting just off the top of my head .

As for swaping intercoolers , you could stay with the stock ones buy driven hard on a warmish day , you might see detonation . I would not suggest a front mount intercooler as if might block air to the radiator and A/C condenser . A more cheaper alternative is to souce for a used Standard Mount IC . It is a upgraded version of the orignal IC.

Also just for safety , you wanna change all the fluilds from the FD . Some owners don't even bother to change it . You might wanna be careful with the brake fluid . If the brake fluid has not been change for a while , you might wanna use a lower grade fluid for that may be a dot3.1 or dot4.1. Reason being the brake seal and abs seals have been exposed to this older fluid . The seals would be use to that . Adding a newer higher grade brake fluid might cause the seals to crack and leak.

Just some thoughts ...

guys sorry! to post it here!!

just wan to ask a few things only...
im going to look at a FD tomoro... whould like to know more abt this car.
the car number plate is W**8118...sellin it abt 80k is in the star new paper!?

because the guy told me tat the car is 280hp...but the car year is 94/95
i ask him, so the last owner change the engine, he say no... no mod!
plssss help........ :unsure: :unsure: anybody can help me out here!

a very useful info u got there SomeGuy_sg....very useful indeed. will take note on those things.

thanks for all d input :)

Top Bottom