RX7 FD3S auto

akimoto

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
hie all rotary sifus,

newbie here. a year 1992 rx7 fd3s auto tranny twin turbo. This engine is 13B or REW version?? Wats d difference between 13b and 13b-rew??

this car is meant for daily driving....no internal mods to be done. wat problems do i need to expect from daily driving condition??

also how much is full tank petrol?? How far it can go??

sorry for so much questions....wanna survey b4 getting one.

thanks all :) :) ;)

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Hi akimoto,

A quick search on rx7forum.com will shed some light on your q's. Anyways i have a 93 version which was auto. I have had the car for 4 years. Never had a problem with my auto (1andhalf years). Things to look out for basically is the cooling system. Get a unit which is fairly ok and start wit reliability mods eg convert ast (air separation tank) to aluminium unit or you can remove (by getting a fc filler neck), hook up boost meter/water temp gauges, replace radiator higher capacity and you are good. The mods will cost you bout 1-2.5k depending on where. The auto is actually very nice if used for daily driver.

13b is the engine code 1300cc (1297 to be exact i think)
13bREW believe it or not "W" means twin turbo.

hope that helps.

dave

akimoto

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
thanks for d info phat7.
I see...REW means twinturbo arr....all d while to my knowledge all FD are twinturbo hehe... :P :P didnt know got single turbo pulak.

so tat means a year 92 auto 13B is single turbo.
those wif twin snails are REW la. good good info there.

anymore inputs??? help appreciated :)

gti88

1,500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
But getting an Auto, it would be safer (in a way),
less stress to the engine, as compared to a manual.

I just you should add additional oil cooler and atf cooler,
change the ATF regularly, it should be okay.

But by buying a rotary, you should expect to pay a lot for petrol.
A strict, weekend car.

Cheers

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
Originally posted by gti88@Oct 25 2004, 00:54

A strict, weekend car.

Cheers
Hi gti88,

Actually the heat on the auto transmission is higher compared to manual. Fortunately for me at least i had atf and oil coolers. Loved the auto. Petrol consumption for me with manual so far ok. I mean i use it to work only OUG-TAMAN DESA and back. Hardly even 15km a day.

Akimoto,

13B is the engine code. There was a 13B model for 92. I've personally seen the engine and i hear the throttle body is much sort after. Any member can perhaps correct me. As far as i know there is no stock single FD only twin turbos.

gti88

1,500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
Phat7,

So how many KMs can yours do with each full tank fill ?
Which ATF cooler you used ? where you mount it ?
normally the left and right already used up for oil coolers. :lol:

Ah Pang

Known Member
May 27, 2004
Originally posted by phat7+Oct 25 2004, 01:02 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (phat7 @ Oct 25 2004, 01:02 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-gti88@Oct 25 2004, 00:54

A strict, weekend car.

Cheers
Hi gti88,

Actually the heat on the auto transmission is higher compared to manual. Fortunately for me at least i had atf and oil coolers. Loved the auto. Petrol consumption for me with manual so far ok. I mean i use it to work only OUG-TAMAN DESA and back. Hardly even 15km a day.

Akimoto,

13B is the engine code. There was a 13B model for 92. I've personally seen the engine and i hear the throttle body is much sort after. Any member can perhaps correct me. As far as i know there is no stock single FD only twin turbos. [/b][/quote]
yeah man,no factory single turbo FD ever produced.

hey dave,what oil coolers u running with?share lerr.....

gti88

1,500 RPM
Nov 17, 2003
Visit site
ah pang,

you using 2x Trust 12 layer oil coolers with Earl braided hose right ?

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
I bought the car with the addes coolers. After transplant i tapau the coolers back.

akimoto

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
nice....very nice. so basically i need atf n oil cooler for mere daily driving.

as i can see....heat is rotary's biggest problem here. wat if i upgrade to larger intercooler...like those apexi gt or rb26 stock i/c...is it advisable? stock standard engine.
this car is to be driven by a lady driver. so...no full throttle, no extreme load on d engine.

btw, fuel consumption...very important :o full tank how much??? can go how far??

thanks all for d input :) ;)

SiGNAL

500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
Ya Mum's House
Visit site
akimoto,

single turbo 13B only in FC. intercooler only for cooling intake charge... if u dont upboost, useless to put such big intercooler. And produce lag somemore. The sifus above is talking about heat from the engine oil and water.

SomeGuy_sg

Known Member
Oct 2, 2004
Originally posted by akimoto@Oct 24 2004, 17:47
hie all rotary sifus,

newbie here. a year 1992 rx7 fd3s auto tranny twin turbo. This engine is 13B or REW version?? Wats d difference between 13b and 13b-rew??

this car is meant for daily driving....no internal mods to be done. wat problems do i need to expect from daily driving condition??

also how much is full tank petrol?? How far it can go??

sorry for so much questions....wanna survey b4 getting one.

thanks all :) :) ;)
13B -stands for the original engine block . 2 rotors X 654 per rotor = 1308cc
REW -stands for rotary engine twin turbo
13BTT - is an FC single turbo

See that it is a lady driver , you would want to concentrate on reliability mods like better radiator , good oil coolers , New vaccum hoses , proper ducting just off the top of my head .

As for swaping intercoolers , you could stay with the stock ones buy driven hard on a warmish day , you might see detonation . I would not suggest a front mount intercooler as if might block air to the radiator and A/C condenser . A more cheaper alternative is to souce for a used Standard Mount IC . It is a upgraded version of the orignal IC.

Also just for safety , you wanna change all the fluilds from the FD . Some owners don't even bother to change it . You might wanna be careful with the brake fluid . If the brake fluid has not been change for a while , you might wanna use a lower grade fluid for that may be a dot3.1 or dot4.1. Reason being the brake seal and abs seals have been exposed to this older fluid . The seals would be use to that . Adding a newer higher grade brake fluid might cause the seals to crack and leak.

Just some thoughts ...

aibon

500 RPM
Apr 24, 2004
Dj
guys sorry! to post it here!!

just wan to ask a few things only...
im going to look at a FD tomoro... whould like to know more abt this car.
the car number plate is W**8118...sellin it abt 80k is in the star new paper!?

because the guy told me tat the car is 280hp...but the car year is 94/95
i ask him, so the last owner change the engine, he say no... no mod!
plssss help........ :unsure: :unsure: anybody can help me out here!

akimoto

Known Member
Nov 20, 2003
a very useful info u got there SomeGuy_sg....very useful indeed. will take note on those things.

thanks for all d input :)