Ron95

aidmob

Known Member

aidmob

Known Member
Feb 27, 2006
Can altezza use this newly launched RON95 petrol? if follow to the user manual, altezza need to used high octane petrol RON98 which is not available at our petrol pump yet. And so far using RON97 Im facing a lil bit engine knocking on certain brand. Anybody experienced using RON92 before?? pls share.

Attachments

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member

BLaCkHoWLiNG

'(^^)|Most Awesome Member
Nov 14, 2003
PJ
www.autojunctions.com
i tried Ron92 on my bimmer... no knocking but fuel consumption was higher... so it's a lan par par lan case by goument... u think u save up a few cents.. but u end up pumping more

S4TR14^TURB0

Known Member

S4TR14^TURB0

Known Member
Jan 4, 2008
how about evo with ron95? will it be ok? hais~

sorry because the post is in malay...

PUTRAJAYA: Kerajaan akan memperkenalkan petrol RON95 yang lebih berkualiti bagi menggantikan RON92, manakala harga RON97 akan dinaikkan mulai Julai ini.

Menteri Perdagangan Dalam Negeri dan Hal Ehwal Pengguna, Datuk Shahrir Samad, berkata pada masa ini, petrol RON92 dijual pada harga runcit RM1.70 seliter, manakala RON97, RM1.80 seliter.

Katanya, petrol RON95 juga akan dijual pada harga runcit RM1.70 sen seliter.

Katanya kenaikan petrol RON97 adalah bagi menggalakkan rakyat menggunakan RON95 yang mempunyai kualiti lebih baik daripada RON92 untuk kenderaan prestasi biasa.

Bagaimanapun, katanya kerajaan memberi jaminan kenaikan harga petrol RON97 yang belum diputuskan adalah munasabah dan tidak membebankan rakyat.

Ketika ini, dua gred petrol iaitu RON92 dan RON97 dijual di stesen minyak tetapi lebih 80 peratus pemilik kenderaan memilih menggunakan RON97 kerana RON92 didakwa kurang sesuai untuk kereta.
"RON95 adalah petrol tanpa plumbum yang sesuai digunakan untuk semua kenderaan termasuk keluaran Proton, Perodua, Toyota dan BMW, manakala RON97 lebih sesuai untuk kenderaan prestasi tinggi seperti enjin turbo dan harganya lebih mahal (berbanding RON95 atau RON92)," katanya pada sidang media di sini semalam.

Katanya, RON95 juga digunakan secara meluas di negara seperti Thailand, Indonesia dan Singapura.

"Justeru, penggunaan RON97 (untuk kereta biasa) adalah suatu pembaziran dan kerajaan berpendapat tiba masa pengguna sedar dan tidak dipengaruhi iklan syarikat minyak yang kononnya menawarkan pelbagai jenis petrol berkualiti tinggi dengan harga lebih mahal," katanya.

Shahrir berkata, kerajaan juga sedang merangka pelbagai strategi pemasaran dan penetapan harga bagi menggalakkan pengguna beralih daripada menggunakan petrol RON97 kepada RON95.
Katanya, kerajaan juga akan mengadakan sesi penerangan bagi memberikan kesedaran kepada orang ramai mengenai kebaikan RON95.

Pada masa sama, Shahrir juga menafikan kerajaan akan mengapungkan harga RON97 yang akan menyaksikan ia dijual pada harga pasaran minyak dunia.

"Perkara itu timbul kerana mereka (pengusaha stesen minyak) kurang faham mengenai teknologi dan latar belakang penggunaan minyak sebaliknya hanya tahu berniaga," katanya.

Mengenai pakej rangsangan ekonomi kedua, beliau berkata, kementerian mencadangkan supaya syarikat pengangkutan minyak diberi subsidi bagi menampung kos operasi sekali gus mengurangkan perbezaan harga di bandar dan luar bandar.

Sumber: Berita Harian

so it means that for modded car, we have to use ron97 that the price is very expensive :banghead:

Last edited:

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
the star yesterday did mentioned the RON95 is of high quality and suitable for all cars including high performance cars....dunno which is true....so must try at least one time to see if it is ok for our engines......

lozo

500 RPM

lozo

500 RPM
Sep 26, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
if the car is stock tuned by manufacturer to use high rons,then by simply using lower ron, the engine cannot produce optimum power if it is tolerated by the knock levels...or else just knocking.

Greytezza

1,000 RPM

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
the star yesterday did mentioned the RON95 is of high quality and suitable for all cars including high performance cars
If that is the case, why the hell were they selling us the RON97 in the first place!!! Guess even the oil companies are blood suckers and full of shit..:thefinger:

if the car is stock tuned by manufacturer to use high rons,then by simply using lower ron, the engine cannot produce optimum power if it is tolerated by the knock levels...or else just knocking.
Like Blackhowling posted...price of the RON95 is slightly lower but we end up pumping more fuel to travel the same freaking distance.!!
"However, burning fuel with a lower octane rating than required by the engine often reduces power output and efficiency one way or another. If the engine begins to detonate (knock), that reduces power and efficiency for the reasons stated above. Many modern car engines feature a knock sensor – a small piezoelectric microphone which detects knock and then sends a signal to the engine control unit to retard the ignition timing. Retarding the ignition timing reduces the tendency to detonate, but also reduces power output and fuel efficiency."
:banghead:

A comment from Petronas engineer....
That is a very high achievement indeed. So, basically the new Primax 3 is still RON 97? Can you explain a bit on the RON thingy?
J : RON stands for Research Octane Number. Basically it’s a requirement for the engine to avoid the knocking effect, a.k.a pinging or pinching. This would eventually cause damage to the engine. Thus all fuel has to have a measurement of RON. In Malaysia, about 3 types of RONs are available in retail, RON 91, 92 and 97. The higher the RON, the more expensive it is. Primax 3 is with RON 97. Current cars in Malaysia do not require high RON, RON 95 would have sufficed. Many people thought that the higher the RON number, the more power it gives. This is a wrong conception. Its sole purpose is to avoid the knowcking effect which could damage your engine in the long run. That is all there is to it.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
some petrol station are selling RON95 with yellow pump handle...i test with my old car 1st.

Wira_lover

Known Member

Wira_lover

Known Member
Jun 6, 2007
Statemements like that really puts you in a tough spot.

Rather save rm0.30/litre and might be causing damage internally to your engine(long term effect) or continue pumping rm2.00/litre and cut down on your ciggys/instead of 2 milos ice in mamak sessions order 1 milo ais and 1 air suam?

The whole knocking on an engine really scares me.

gti-wly

Known Member

gti-wly

Known Member
Jan 19, 2005
putrajaya
as far as i can know, many recond car from japan (like our altezza) mostly caters for fuel with higher RON.. local car should be no problem cause the manufacturer already tune the car based on the fuel the sell in this country of origin..

lonelylilpig

500 RPM

lonelylilpig

500 RPM
Feb 26, 2006
Cars such as Altezza , Honda B series n K series , celica, turbocharged cars are not suitable using RON 95. It is good to use V-power instead. The increase off engine detonation will cause engine internal failure yet it will higher the engine temperature. Engines with low compression ratio is able to use lower Ron rating fuel moreover higher compression ratio engines must use higher Ron rating fuel.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
blank,
i will try it this weekend with my old skool...let u guys know after that...

Tohsan

Over 10,000 RPM!

Tohsan

Over 10,000 RPM!
Nov 13, 2004
Char Kuoy Teow
so is Shell normal unleaded petrol(those normal RM1.80 per liter) same as v-power(RM2.05 per liter) in term of RON? :confused:

Last edited:

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
i also wanna know and wander how much is V-power by then....

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
High compression cars, turbocharged cars or supercharged better use back RON97 because RON95 will be less resistance to detonation. For normal road going cars RON95 ok lah but like EVO, Scooby, GTR, Supra, EK, DCs, EPs..etc..better don't go RON95. I don't dare to try because if sekali boom habis the engine...no one will pay for us. Sendiri tanggung....

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
thats why, i hate when the press announced it is as good as ron97 and of high quality...total "tahi kerbau" la....

Tohsan

Over 10,000 RPM!

Tohsan

Over 10,000 RPM!
Nov 13, 2004
Char Kuoy Teow
thats why, i hate when the press announced it is as good as ron97 and of high quality...total "tahi kerbau" la....
never trust any statement make by politician,they are only good in bullshiting. Best is stay status quo,use whatever you already think is right for your car.

bushidofang

'(00) Lurker
Helmet Clan

bushidofang

'(00) Lurker
Helmet Clan
Jun 1, 2006
Anywhere
better to pay a little bit more on better fuel than paying thousands later on your engine, aye?

mokh

Known Member

mokh

Known Member
Oct 18, 2008
The proposed new grade of RON95 is, nevertheless, a good compromise and should be fine for the majority of cars on Malaysian roads. This grade has been a popular one with Japanese manufacturers, possibly because in Japan, their Regular grade has been RON95 for a long time.
can anybody clarify this.. maybe altezza should be fine by RON95? i dont know...

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
mokh, to answer your doubts.

<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="country-region"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><style>st1\:* { BEHAVIOR: url(#default#ieooui) } </style><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:SimSun; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1;} @font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;} @font-face {font-family:"\@SimSun"; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple; text-decoration:underline;} span.EmailStyle17 {mso-style-type:personal-compose; font-family:Arial; color:windowtext;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style>Hi Joe,

We can buy only two grade and disel at gas station.

Regular: 85-92 octane JPY 117/L
Premium: 98-100 octane JPY 125/L

I am using:
Premium for Harley-Davidson and my son's Kawasaki KX85(racing motorcycle).
Regular for Honda STWGN, Mitubishi-i and other motorcycle.

Regards,
Takayuki Hayase

This is what my Japanese friend answered me. I'm still asking him further questions. But from his mail I think that normal cars in Japan are also running on Regular fuel. Only those high performance bike or cars that need to run on Premium.

zackdihaw

zackdihaw

Sep 23, 2006
I used my altezza(RS200) 2 years in Japan b4 bringing it back here.Once in a while my wife would mistakenly filled it up with regular fuel (ron92).nothing got broken whatsoever but, i could feel less pick-up power when accelerating and of course more fuel consumption. I checked with some toyota guys who did the maintenance and they told me that it wont ruined the engine cause theres something in the engine (cant remember the name) that will send fuel info to the cpu and it will calculate and reset the fuel system automatically.but of course u wont get the same performances with when ur using higher ron fuel.

In our japanese manual it is stated that RS200 needs Premium Fuel and AS200 can be filled up with Regulars. It doesnt state what rons to use. In japan that is ron92 for regulars and ron98 for premium. but some say that m'sian fuel has better ron grades(additives) than what they have in japan, which might means that ron95 is good enough and can be considered as Premium Fuel. Ive been filling up my altezza with ron97 (all brands) since i got back here (2 years already) and had no problems at all with my performances. with ron95...still no experience yet.

Anyway, ive email toyota japan (a friend still works there) and got a reply that they will look in it and find out if ron95 is ok with RS200....ill update here if anything comes up.

Bump: I used my altezza(RS200) 2 years in Japan b4 bringing it back here.Once in a while my wife would mistakenly filled it up with regular fuel (ron92).nothing got broken whatsoever but, i could feel less pick-up power when accelerating and of course more fuel consumption. I checked with some toyota guys who did the maintenance and they told me that it wont ruined the engine cause theres something in the engine (cant remember the name) that will send fuel info to the cpu and it will calculate and reset the fuel system automatically.but of course u wont get the same performances with when ur using higher ron fuel.

In our japanese manual it is stated that RS200 needs Premium Fuel and AS200 can be filled up with Regulars. It doesnt state what rons to use. In japan that is ron92 for regulars and ron98 for premium. but some say that m'sian fuel has better ron grades(additives) than what they have in japan, which might means that ron95 is good enough and can be considered as Premium Fuel. Ive been filling up my altezza with ron97 (all brands) since i got back here (2 years already) and had no problems at all with my performances. with ron95...still no experience yet.

Anyway, ive email toyota japan (a friend still works there) and got a reply that they will look in it and find out if ron95 is ok with RS200....ill update here if anything comes up.

gti-wly

Known Member

gti-wly

Known Member
Jan 19, 2005
putrajaya
last few weeks i've fill up my altezza with shell v-power for full tank. drove back and forth KL-Seremban.. i noticed that the engine have some knocking.. not sure whether the fuel or what not i did noticed it during that time. normally i only fill up with primax3..

any of you guys having the same problem? does i need to tune back/reset the ECU to have it running correctly with v-power?

Greytezza

1,000 RPM

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
I have feedbacks from some Altezza owners that Shell V-Power is not good for our car and you are paying extra for nothing. Seems Petronas petrol is of better quality and will not cause knocking in our engine...go figure:hmmmm:

jasonchee98

Known Member

jasonchee98

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
guys... since september is nearby, just would like to check whether can our rs200 use RON95 petrol?

ston3r

Known Member

ston3r

Known Member
Jul 19, 2004
kuala lumpur
Visit site
I have feedbacks from some Altezza owners that Shell V-Power is not good for our car and you are paying extra for nothing. Seems Petronas petrol is of better quality and will not cause knocking in our engine...go figure:hmmmm:
yes, it's true that v-power isn't good for the 3SGE engine as it causes knocking. For me, I've been using Esso/Mobil since I got the car, with the occassional Primax3 or Shell Super once in a while. Oh well, only a few more days before the nationwide roll out. :driver:

hornydrifter

500 RPM

hornydrifter

500 RPM
Mar 27, 2005
KEY EL!
yes, it's true that v-power isn't good for the 3SGE engine as it causes knocking. For me, I've been using Esso/Mobil since I got the car, with the occassional Primax3 or Shell Super once in a while. Oh well, only a few more days before the nationwide roll out. :driver:

Weird huh? shell v-power invites engine knocking?..Is there any facts that can sapport this claim?...Cuz i used this fuel all the way, my stended daily driven waja, my vtec engine, my ex- 4g93 high compress engine..It all perform well, no knocking watsoever...it even perform better on my stended waja One drawback though....Finish faster than other brand fuel...hehehe THIS is proven lerr..mmg cpt abis..hehehe..

davidgm16

Known Member

davidgm16

Known Member
Dec 20, 2005
i'm trying my 1st tank of ron95 today.. used up half tank now, so far so good. didn't feel a significant power reduce so far and didn't feel any weird feeling from the engine...

wfhan

4,000 RPM

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
Weird huh? shell v-power invites engine knocking?..Is there any facts that can sapport this claim?...Cuz i used this fuel all the way, my stended daily driven waja, my vtec engine, my ex- 4g93 high compress engine..It all perform well, no knocking watsoever...it even perform better on my stended waja One drawback though....Finish faster than other brand fuel...hehehe THIS is proven lerr..mmg cpt abis..hehehe..
isn't the higher RON level has more anti-knock elements to prevent engine knocking ??
normally ppl chg to higher RON level because lower RON value creates knocking ....

anyhow i'll try ron95 also after this current tank utilised.

vastalux

Known Member

vastalux

Known Member
Feb 7, 2007
i just fill my tank with ron95 yesterday. and its resulting some problem to my engine. very loud knocking sound. and the best thing there's no more station sell ron97 here (in bintulu). wtf...i worry my engine will blow up later..

by the way i'm using toyota celica gts 7th..

altezza8448

altezza8448

Aug 14, 2007
isn't the higher RON level has more anti-knock elements to prevent engine knocking ??
normally ppl chg to higher RON level because lower RON value creates knocking ....

anyhow i'll try ron95 also after this current tank utilised.
Fellow Bros,

Do let us know the outcome from various oil companies on the performance of the RON95. I too am considering to use but afraid of engine damage and to make things worst, some petrol station doesn't carry the old RON97. I normally use Petronas Primax 3 fill up at my normal station at Subang Airport (after the NKVE Toll) but when there last Sunday and there's no more RON97 for sale. :banghead:
I'm afraid that if I continue with my RON97 it would be a real hassle to find filling station. :rofl:

wfhan

4,000 RPM

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
Fellow Bros,

Do let us know the outcome from various oil companies on the performance of the RON95. I too am considering to use but afraid of engine damage and to make things worst, some petrol station doesn't carry the old RON97. I normally use Petronas Primax 3 fill up at my normal station at Subang Airport (after the NKVE Toll) but when there last Sunday and there's no more RON97 for sale. :banghead:
I'm afraid that if I continue with my RON97 it would be a real hassle to find filling station. :rofl:
Most petrol station stock ron95 only... having hard time find more stations with ron97.

Quick poll.. if ur tank is empty and enter a SHELL petrol stations.. find out it offers
ron95 and v-power only.. which will u pump ??
1. ron95 ?
2. v-power ?

can we all contribute and state here which area and which petrol station stock RON97 ?

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005

wfhan

4,000 RPM

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
this morning my wife having hard time finding ron97, so no choice put in rm20 of ron95 .. she used to pump Petronas fuel & call me earlier to complain the car felt no power.. previously she just need to lightly tap the oil paddle the car can go d... now need to press more... so i think at the end also used up same cost of fuel....
btw, she just drive a myvi..... :(....

Last edited:

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
You should be able to get ron97 in Mobil\Esso and Caltex. Some shell have Ron 97.

Petronas only carry ron95...... smart move.....:stupid:

My tank is still on ron 97. Once run dry I will put in ron 95 RM10 just to see the feeling.
If ok may consider using it permanantly. if not will stick to Ron 97.

wfhan

4,000 RPM

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
VJ, is it confirm Petronas ONLY carries ron95 (primax95) ?
if confirm, then no need even drive in any of petronas station to try my luck d..

i advice my wife pump in rm20 to test first, and that's later she called me to told me the car felt underpower.

coriolis

Known Member

coriolis

Known Member
Jul 9, 2008
Can't say Petronas only carries RON95.. I was pumping on RON97 (Primax 3) on the highway last night.

My personal experience (1 full tank of RON95)
- Didn't notice the performance loss, but change back to RON97 and the difference is obvious.
- My car occasionally jerks, shudders, the engine chokes and slow down and slowly die, with the check engine light on and trc light blinking. stopping by and restarting the engine and thingswent to normal. Happened to me like 3 times in only 1 full tank.

My advice? Try 1 full tank of RON95 first. It may work for you, but it definitely doesn't work for me.

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Bernard,
Thanks for the update..........Must try today and see if got any effect.:hmmmm:

ALiAS

Known Member

ALiAS

Known Member
Jun 27, 2009
PJ
dont dare to try 95 laa... afraid... hehehe anyway its good to get knowledge from our sifus here.... but for me, doesn't matter what happend, i'll stick with 97... unless in d middle of highway and got no 97, then have to put 95 lorr.... wut to do... our G got so many plans.... some of them are good... but some.................

hulkv6tt

Known Member

hulkv6tt

Known Member
Dec 28, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
guys, ron95 is ok for my tezza...being using it for the last 1 week....no significant diff...2 full tank, crusing n town driving.

altezza8448

altezza8448

Aug 14, 2007
You should be able to get ron97 in Mobil\Esso and Caltex. Some shell have Ron 97.

Petronas only carry ron95...... smart move.....:stupid:

My tank is still on ron 97. Once run dry I will put in ron 95 RM10 just to see the feeling.
If ok may consider using it permanantly. if not will stick to Ron 97.
I too bro use Petronas Primax 3, found out from Petronas not all kiosk carries the Primax 3. Some totally only Primax 95 which is a pain in the $#@. Stay away from Petronas kiosk beside the NKVE Subang Toll.:banghead:

I dare not use the Primax 95 after hearing all the comments, sticking with the 97. Fill up full tank 97 yesterday about 57 litres came up to RM116.85. Damn.

pk47

1,000 RPM

pk47

1,000 RPM
Jun 8, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
To all bros,

U never try and u never know the end rusult. I'm using ron95 (Shell) for my beams now, i feel the engine running ok and feel more powerful, lower fuel consumption. Usually i only put in RM60 for 33+litter of fuel, for ron97 i can only go for about 220-250km (max), but now with ron95 i can go for min 250km when the refuel light's on.

I dono what is the result for others member here, and all the above is my own opinion yah. cheers.... :)