Ron95

yellowHat

Known Member

yellowHat

Known Member
Jan 19, 2007
wah pk47.how can ur car get better fuel consumption ah?mine become worse.engine sound also get noisier.more "garang" lh!(dunno good thing or bad thing..ha3).but performance i think quite ok.i m using mobil esso 5000.

pk47

1,000 RPM

pk47

1,000 RPM
Jun 8, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
I not very sure how come is work for my ride, maybe my car still new cos i brought it last year dec, a 2003 altezza. :)
This morning try to pump back ron97, RM60 bucks less than 30 litter of fuel. :( Very big different compare with ron95. Please see my 'feel' below. :)

Ron97 - Ron95
1) Better power on low rpm - Smooth, when vvti kick-in can feel more power
2) Can't feel any more 'toque' when high rmp - Getting more 'toque' and power keep going
3) Engine more quite - Engine sound more 'garang'
4) high fuel consumption - Low fuel consumption
5) fuel not fully burn, can smell petrol - No petrol smell

jasonchee98

Known Member

jasonchee98

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
i pumped 60 bucks of RON95 this morning from esso. so far, my tezza is fine with it. just a bit sluggish and lack of power when i push the car with 3rd gear at 6k rpm. engine noise, not much difference. overall, not much difference except power. fuel consumption not yet test. need to wait till i finish this tank first. normally, i get 330km - 360km for 33.33 Liters on RON97. This morning, i also pump in 33.33 Liters. Hope the mileage will be better or not, same with RON97.

wfhan

4,000 RPM

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
I not very sure how come is work for my ride, maybe my car still new cos i brought it last year dec, a 2003 altezza. :)
This morning try to pump back ron97, RM60 bucks less than 30 litter of fuel. :( Very big different compare with ron95. Please see my 'feel' below. :)

Ron97 - Ron95
2) Can't feel any more 'toque' when high rmp - Getting more 'toque' and power keep going

weird.. ain't it suposed to be the opposite ... does SXE10's ecu smart enuf to self-adjust itself to adapt to the new RON value ??

i pumped 60 bucks of RON95 this morning from esso. so far, my tezza is fine with it. just a bit sluggish and lack of power when i push the car with 3rd gear at 6k rpm. engine noise, not much difference. overall, not much difference except power. fuel consumption not yet test. need to wait till i finish this tank first. normally, i get 330km - 360km for 33.33 Liters on RON97. This morning, i also pump in 33.33 Liters. Hope the mileage will be better or not, same with RON97.
pls remember to provide ur review here... :)

coriolis

Known Member

coriolis

Known Member
Jul 9, 2008

Ron97 - Ron95
Uh you sure?

It's actually the reverse for my car, especially on number 5. My car especially engine bay smells of petrol when I'm on ron95.

pk47

1,000 RPM

pk47

1,000 RPM
Jun 8, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
weird.. ain't it suposed to be the opposite ... does SXE10's ecu smart enuf to self-adjust itself to adapt to the new RON value ??

Yes! u r right. SXE10's ecu will automatic adjust the fuel and airflow output and input to keep the engine performance, because the throtlet body is electronic control. :):driver:

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Uh you sure?

It's actually the reverse for my car, especially on number 5. My car especially engine bay smells of petrol when I'm on ron95.

Maybe i change alot of electronic devices and air filter kua.... :)

jasonchee98

Known Member

jasonchee98

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
so far, my tezza is ok with RON95. just that the fuel seems like burned faster. haha. maybe becos it's lack of power and i tend to accelerate more. anyway, will keep you guys updated with my tezza's condition.

wfhan

4,000 RPM

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
so if the fuel burn faster and u tends to accelerate more (i.e.: press more on gas paddle)..
at the end, i think more or less will similar usage (in term of ringgit value), right?

cash1212

Known Member

cash1212

Known Member
Nov 11, 2007
FOR YOUR INFORMATION!

Understanding The Difference between RON92, RON95, RON97 and RON99

The Difference between RON92, RON95, RON97 and RON99

Many said that RON92 oil is the older oil, only suitable for older cars
or for cars that uses carburetor only. There are also some that said
that RON92 oil will make the engine dirty and also said that RON92 oil
is less powerful compared to RON97 and RON99. Before you make any false assumptions, let us see what the real meaning of RON is.

RON stands for Research Octane Number. Octane number or octane rating refers to the gasoline ability to withstand auto ignition (knocking) inside the engine. Higher octane number refers to higher ability of the oil to fight auto ignition. In other words, it means that RON95 is harder to ignite compared to RON92.

Different vehicles are designed to be used with different octane number of oil. Higher octane number oil is basically designed for high
performance vehicles such as sport vehicle and racing vehicle. Why is
that so? This is to avoid premature ignition of oil inside the engine
because of auto ignition, which happens before the spark plug ignite the fuel. This phenomenon is known as knocking. Knocking is not wanted because it reduces the performance of vehicle.

The right usage of octane number based on design and adjustment of
engine will maximize the performance and effectiveness of the vehicle.
Modern vehicles are equipped with knock sensor which enables it to
adjust its combustion timing automatically according to the oil octane
number to avoid knocking or premature ignition of oil.

Not all vehicles require high octane number petrol. You can check your
vehicle fuel requirement inside the guide book of your vehicle or you
can simply check the minimum Octane Rating at the back of the fuel lid
cover of your vehicle. Most cars can still use RON92.

Higher RON number does not means that it is more powerful. It means that it is harder to ignite. It will also cost you more.

jasonchee98

Known Member

jasonchee98

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
actually i agreed with RON definition. but the reality is, lower RON tend to reduce car performance. i tested out last time with my company's CRV. it's first gen of CRV and with 33.33 liters, i can clocked at least 350km mileage on RON97. then i test with RON92 and i manage to clocked at least 350km also with RON92 but it takes 35.29 liters. i usually pump RM 60 bucks. this time with tezza, i think it might be the same case as well.

gti-wly

Known Member

gti-wly

Known Member
Jan 19, 2005
putrajaya
Just finished my altezza with esso ron95... Now just fill with primax.. So far the car works fine.. Didn't notice hard knocks.. Milleage wise.. Almost the same for city driving.. Performance wise, fell some lost torque on he lower rpm.. The other thing, i seem to find my car running quiter.. Lower sound on he exhaust note.. Anther tips that i got was try to reset the car ecu first, than he ecu will calibrate back with the new fuel.. Overall, ron95 is ok for me..

davidgm16

Known Member

davidgm16

Known Member
Dec 20, 2005
This is my experience 1st time climbing up genting with a tank of ron95:

on the way getting up genting, everything looks ok. no significant power lost. But the 2nd day when i plan to back home, after i started the engine and drive towards carpark exit. I feel my car was seriously underpower, and it not allowed me to change to 2nd gear when i use manual mode. After a few minutes, the car only back to normal.

As for the last time i went genting and still using ron97, underpower also happened when the engine still cold. But not as serious as this...

Btw, i'm using SHELL ron95

mokh

Known Member

mokh

Known Member
Oct 18, 2008
im currently running with primax95. previously used primax97. not a really petronas supporter but prefer petronas because the station is everywhere! :P

btw, cannot detect any major effect on my ride. engine feel smoother and less noise. but not test for mileage yet.

i think i will just stick to primax95.

wfhan

4,000 RPM

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
David, nevermind u can pump back ron97 cos i believe u got sponsorship form uncle lim already.
:P

btw, anyone tried BHP's ron95 ? i just fed mine with rm60 of it.. gonna monitor & update here later.

gti-wly

Known Member

gti-wly

Known Member
Jan 19, 2005
putrajaya
This is my experience 1st time climbing up genting with a tank of ron95:

on the way getting up genting, everything looks ok. no significant power lost. But the 2nd day when i plan to back home, after i started the engine and drive towards carpark exit. I feel my car was seriously underpower, and it not allowed me to change to 2nd gear when i use manual mode. After a few minutes, the car only back to normal.

As for the last time i went genting and still using ron97, underpower also happened when the engine still cold. But not as serious as this...

Btw, i'm using SHELL ron95
bro, normally the autobox cannot change to 2nd gear in manual mode if the car is not in its optimal tempreture.. summore in genting :rolleyes:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Hmm...seems to be more bad feedbacks on Ron95 instead. I guess i wont dare to use it actually, but might as well try out and see the outcome.

All this while I have been using either Shell RON97 or Shell V-Power. I realise fuel consumption for V-Power tend to be slightly better than RON97. Tested with hard driving from morning till night, V-Power FC is better for Altis 1.8G 2004 Model. Since now RON97 at the price of RM2.05 and V-power is at the price of RM2.15, i guess i'll rather pump in V-Power since is only RM3.00+ extra. Well thats my point of view lar...

Anyhow, still uncomfortable with RON95 though..scared lost of power and damage engine like u guys said. It is true that i felt the engine performs smoother and better compare to RON97. I won't really say it does increase its power but performance wise, is much better.

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM

AE111_SEG

1,000 RPM
May 18, 2005
Putra Heights
Hi
I have tried ron95 and I find in terms of power I cant feel significant difference. Maybe top RPM
then again it could be physiological. But I did notice fuel consumption is worse with ron95.
I decided to stick to ron97.

wfhan

4,000 RPM

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
my conclusion just after a 50km drive this morning after i pumped in BHP ron95 yesterday night is
the low-end felt heavy... high-end not test yet cos my tire now are 'Semi-slick' :P

jasonchee98

Known Member

jasonchee98

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
i pumped 2nd round of esso ron95. so far , like i said, just lack of pwer only. no other prob so far with ron95. mileage, a bit less for 33.33 liters with ron95. roughly about 320km only which is about 30km lesser if using ron97. anyway, try again on esso ron95. i wan to get a firm constant mileage before deciding on which ron to use.

pk47

1,000 RPM

pk47

1,000 RPM
Jun 8, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
y your altezza can go 300+ km? my beams only can go for 250km for 33.33liters fuel..... :(

jasonchee98

Known Member

jasonchee98

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
haha... bro... it's about control ur foot. :P hehe... anyway, i drive 80% highway and 20% city. i hardly get stuck in jam due to my working hour. but i also believe in foot control. the more u floor it, the more it consume. like this morning, i sped to office. it consumes about 3 bar for 50km travel. normally it takes about 1 or 2 bar of fuel gauge only. :) just my 2 cents.

pk47

1,000 RPM

pk47

1,000 RPM
Jun 8, 2004
Petaling Jaya
Visit site
ic........im driving 80% city and 20% highway. and i just mod my beams to improved the air intake and air output, running smooth and improved of power now. :)

mokh

Known Member

mokh

Known Member
Oct 18, 2008
i reset the ecu yesterday to find out if there were any effects by changing to Primax95.

the 1st engine start, a bit semput. after a while, it become smoother. then take it for a test drive around pasir gudang... the result, smoother ride, better respods, quite engine, but took longer 'zero-to-hundred'.
overall, good.

will test the mileage this evening, jb-kl. holiday!!!

davidgm16

Known Member

davidgm16

Known Member
Dec 20, 2005
you know what.. after 3 tanks or ron95.. i pump back ron97.. this is the 2nd tank now, the FC of mine really bad! last time is around 40L = 360km, now 40L = 320km!

jasonchee98

Known Member

jasonchee98

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
i also get a bad FC and lack of power with RON95. 33.33L RON95 = 320km, 33.33L RON97 = 350km. but i'm sticking to RON95 for a while. maybe in oct will decide which RON to use.

mokh

Known Member

mokh

Known Member
Oct 18, 2008
tested long distance with primax95. everything seems working fine. just lack of power to rempit. :driver:

Primax95 :rock:

davidgm16

Known Member

davidgm16

Known Member
Dec 20, 2005
i also get a bad FC and lack of power with RON95. 33.33L RON95 = 320km, 33.33L RON97 = 350km. but i'm sticking to RON95 for a while. maybe in oct will decide which RON to use.
no bro, i get bad FC on ron97! after used 3 tanks ron95...:stupid:

jasonchee98

Known Member

jasonchee98

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
i pump ron97 esso today cos going up genting. darn... it feel good. the car pickup is great. darn... looks like i wanna stick to Ron97 now.

wfhan

4,000 RPM

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
Yong_5290,
Please treat the lady good and give her good energy drink.
In long run, your engine life is prolong in some sense (although no actual real-life proof).
i believe there are some altezza owners pumping ron95 since it's launched into their altezza,
i really wish to hear more from them that using ron95.

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
yup...tats y i wan 2 know the result also...bcoz i read tat the compression is 11.5.1...which makes it really very high,same like fd2r k20a tat honda dont recommend it to run on ron95.... i blif those running ron95 if high rev the engine will have knocking...
but wat if we use management and then kind of retard the timing?

wfhan

4,000 RPM

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
buy altezza, then u can experiment it on your car.
for me, i'll just pump r97 so that she's rev-happy.
even my other car myvi, also drinking r97, AND fuk r95.
:thefinger: :biggrin:

zeus83

500 RPM

zeus83

500 RPM
Oct 29, 2006
KL-Damansara
im using 3SGTE, i feel no power diff with RON95:hmmmm:

wfhan

4,000 RPM

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
im using 3SGTE, i feel no power diff with RON95:hmmmm:
Zeus83,
tat is what u 'feel' ma. maybe ur 3sgte's knock sensor has higher tolerance level?.

Perhaps altezza's 3sge knock sensor is more sensitive and aggressive in sending
voltage signal to the ecu.

let's say in real the 3sge of altezza tends to knock and ping too often due to lower ron fuel,
in long term, the engine sure kaput (i.e.: shorter piston & conrod lifespan), u won't want your
engine to died off from inner detonation.

Yong_5290,
u were saying perhaps can use management to retard timing.
i'd say the 'idea' is a bit naive. yes, of course u can use management to control that, BUT
i don't think that even worth the management. if i were to have management in my car,
i'd use it for other better purpose, NOT just for using it to compensate the timing because of using
ron95. and one fine day if u decided to use back ron97 (IF later gov down the prices.. * in all's dream * ), u gonna go set the timing again ? why the hassle ?

if one can spent few hundreds/thousands bucks in upgrades of his/her car, and yet want to save
the tiny-winny $ to use ron95, then i dono what to say already... hahaha
:stupid::stupid: maybe one word 'Bengong"

Just my 50cent. today a bit emo...:smokin::nurse::thefinger:

Greytezza

1,000 RPM

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
Yong_5290,
u were saying perhaps can use management to retard timing.
i'd say the 'idea' is a bit naive. yes, of course u can use management to control that, BUT
i don't think that even worth the management. if i were to have management in my car,
i'd use it for other better purpose, NOT just for using it to compensate the timing because of using
ron95. and one fine day if u decided to use back ron97 (IF later gov down the prices.. * in all's dream * ), u gonna go set the timing again ? why the hassle ?

if one can spent few hundreds/thousands bucks in upgrades of his/her car, and yet want to save
the tiny-winny $ to use ron95, then i dono what to say already... hahaha
maybe one word 'Bengong"
You are right on the nose Mike...I would have ask the same question like you too. Why spend money on an ECU management system and pump low grade petrol in my car. The reason I spend money on mods like electronic management system, headers, air filters etc... is too extract more torque and increase bhp on my car. Why would I defeat all this by pumping in lower grade petrol.
YES..you can run the engine on RON95..but knocking will occur at high rev ie. when u floor the pedal.
I have a PowerFC installed in my car and YES I can have the timing retarded or tune to compensate for the RON95 petrol. But what is the point of spending money on the mods and tuning and in the end compromise on the end result. So I only use RON 97 and am not going to risk experimenting and waiting for the outcome of using RON 95..but at the end of the day it really depends on the owner.
Just my humble opinion.....:biggrin:

wfhan

4,000 RPM

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
in the nut shell, i quote greytezza
"The reason I spend money on mods like electronic management system, headers, air filters etc... is too extract more torque and increase bhp on my car. Why would I defeat all this by pumping in lower grade petrol."

big, loud and clear enough.

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM

Yong_5290

3,000 RPM
Nov 4, 2004
Klang
hotmail.com
actually i juz asking for fun as i would like to know from those running ron95
i presonally will run on ron97 if i get altezza coz of the engine's natural high compression

3sgTe is turbo charged,and turbo engines run on low compression

Greytezza

1,000 RPM

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
actually i juz asking for fun as i would like to know from those running ron95
i presonally will run on ron97 if i get altezza coz of the engine's natural high compression
Yong_5290..I see you are a very senior zth member with around 2,582 posts and I should call you taikor already. So in that sense I believe you are a very knowledgeable car enthusiast and becos of that I believe wfhan is a little rile by your question here..:biggrin:

wfhan

4,000 RPM

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
apa la.. use too deep english i don't understand..the 'rile rile' word gua-beh-hiao.
i only understand manglish.. or pasar english ...

haha.. no la... not say angry or what.
if u are noob in car, and upgrading from some noob car to altezza,
then i can see the point u asked the question. but if u r a car person
and u hv been around in the zth scene for quite some time, then
i cannot excuse it lor..

:P... haha...

after 1 more week, we'll be stepping into 2011,
any car would have grown another year older, so 2000yo car can be
consider 11yo in bank terms liao.. fast fast decide.

jasonchee98

Known Member

jasonchee98

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
guys... since it's been a while. I would like to know whether majority is still sticking to RON97 or change to RON95? any issue with RON95 so far with 3sge?

hulkv6tt

Known Member

hulkv6tt

Known Member
Dec 28, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
same as mike ...no issue....more than 9 month use

TopSecret

TopSecret

Nov 25, 2003
no problem, been using RON95 long time during the period ron97 price rise from 2.10 to RM2.30

jasonchee98

Known Member

jasonchee98

Known Member
Apr 23, 2009
i see. good to hear that. Thanks gents. :) u guys run with stock tuning or with some fine-tuning ?