RC heli pilots?

DRFT_240sx

Nov 15, 2003
Edward Chew: I would like to correct what you said on the heli more channels is better. for normal operation every heli maxing out would only have 5 channels and 1 more for gyro gain ( say heading hold or rate gyro) , the extra channels if you say for a 7-14 channel radios, are mainly for scale flying where there is smoke screen launching , landing gear retract etc which is quite useless to know the basic of heli flying.

Helis are separated into 3 categories , fixed pitch ( dragonfly gws , walkera #4 etc) , collective pitch ( falcon 3d , trex , walkera 36 , 60 , 52 , raptors and a lot more 3d helis) , multirotor or co-axial which means they do not need a tail motor to counter the main blades torque( lama v3 , blade cx , etc which u will see 2 main blades on the heli spinning and opposite direction).

willie_hwl: fixed pitch helis which only uses 4 channel , so you get forward motion , backward, roll left , roll righ but no inverted flights( upside down) . fixed pitch helis as the name suggest means the main blades already have a certain amount of pitch fixed which u cannot change at any time and how the heli flies depends on the motor speed/rpm which u raise with the throttle stick. it does teach you how to hover a heli , do fast foward flight and banked turnings( stall turns) .

a 6 channel , actually 5 channel+1 ( the 1 channel is for gyro gain which you dont really mess with unless u go into intermediate stage) , is a collective pitch heli , the headspin ( motor speed/rpm) will be held constant and how the heli lift off is with the chance of pitch that you can control with your throttle stick , if u move it up and down u can actually see the main blades change position which u cant see on a fixed pitch ( 4 channel) heli. well all helis are hard to fly , crashing is always lurking somewhere that is how they learn how to fly better , u just have to learn how to crash( so u get minimal damage). as heli pilots loses orientation easily( cannot differentiate left to right , then u thought it was right but it's actually left)

try the blade CX if you can get it in malaysia. really tough heli , or better dont even start with a lama or anything , get a fixed pitch heli like a GWS dragonfly , ESKY honey bee FP , century FP . there is a lot more on the market , with a fixed pitch at least u learn how to hover like a real heli does compared to a multi-rotor which u dont have to control the tail and it is "too" stable.

Starting out
:do not buy the stock walkera RTF kits , as the electronics are horrible and you will end up frustrating yourself more. there is always an initial "dump " of money into the hobby to get you goin but later on the cost will go down. if u want to get a collective bird. get a A-tech Falcon 3d or a Esky Honey Bee CP2. Those comes in rtf and can teach u a lot , the sky is the limit to see how fast u learn.

I also dis-agree on edward's "training" of bolting the heli with ropes on the table , yes you can limit the heli travel lift off height but once u get used to it , it does not fly like that without the ropes on , unless it is a co-axial heli or multirotored one. a fixed pitch or collective pitch in no way can behave the same. He is right , get a good simulator and practise there. if not try this flight program below if u do get the heli. discipline is the key here.

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

jasonchan: fake or original doesn't really matter , get the cheaper one or whichever heli that you can access to spare parts with convenience . it's easier to learn that way so give your local hobby shop a visit. they will be the same , as in china , taiwan and japan market they are copying one another and US is following the trend.

the video edward showed , i've seen Alan and Danny Szabo flew his raptors , trex600 and a trex450 marvelously here in Las vegas, though he is only 20 years old but he's been flying since the age of 8 . so that gives him 12 years experience already.

i didnt know this thread revived , so hope i can contribute to some of you .

Pardon my lengthy post , i just couldn't help it but contribute my experience as 3 months ago being a noob myself i have the same problem deciding myself.

I fly the TREX 450 , Honey Bee Cp2 , Honey Bee King , Falcon 3d , and a Helimax mx400.

cheers

Last edited:

jasonchan

500 RPM
Jun 1, 2004
wah good explanation...i was about to get a LAMA v3 cause my fren told me other types easier to crash...so he say learn with this first wo...

DRFT_240sx

Nov 15, 2003
the lama or any co-axial helis will teach u 1 thing which is orientation , it's faily simple to hover and just ridiculously stable if you dont do sudden movement. just remember it does not tolerate wind too much , a gust outdoor can send it crashing to the ground.

if i were you I will look for kapster he is in the forum. if i were you i would start with a FP heli which teach u a lot more than a co-axial/multirotor heli. i bet u'll get bored of it in just 1 month.

better yet if u can get it , an ESKY honey bee CP2 is your best platform to grow on keeping cost down compared to other birds.

cheers

willie_hwl

Known Member
Apr 9, 2006
First of all thanks for the breakdown and reply.
So lets break it down.

Which do u suggest beginner to fly? Fixed-Pitch or Collective-Pitch?
And how do we check a Heli is FP, CP or multirotor? Do we check if
there are 2 main blades that spinning opposite direction is multirotor?
So definitely dont get that type?

You said try the Blade CX but its multirotor as you stated that its not
that good compared to FP and CP.

Whats RTF kits? Sorry but really noob here, hehehee
Do u mean Walkera brands not reliable?

I would like to get Honey Bee's Heli but I dont think I can get it here,
about T-Rex yes but Im sure it will cost alot.

Thanks again,

Cheers,
Will.

Last edited:

kapster

Known Member
Dec 1, 2003
thanx DRFT_240sx for introducing me....hehehehe!!

well...DRFT_240sx is right about what he says.
I have the art-tech falcon and esky belt cp.
I've let a pro rc pilot tried both and he said both are good but he has a feeling that belt cp might me better as it was very stable even when the blade tracking were out. Frankly i prefer the esky belt cp too but 1 thing some people might think bad for beginners is it comes in kit only.means you have to configure your own radio. The art tech falcon is really easy as it comes RTF.

I have walkera #4 and 22E.Both are cheaper models.
I'm not saying that its bad but if you have the budget then go for a more expensive ones that comes with brushless motor,li-po cells and belt/shaft tail.

coaxial heli like the lama v3 are good if u just wanna see it fly but you wont learn alot because its too stable.

Many customers have asked me to bring in coaxial heli to sell but i havent dont that yet,most probably i wont. its easy to sell,cost are cheap and easy to fly but not much to learn. I'm into RC because i wanna learn and teach others too in the future.

I'm not sure what you guys think but i think that FP or CP birds are much better once you get used with the controls.the learning part takes lots of patience but once you have mastered it,i'm sure you'll be addicted.

DRFT_240sx

Nov 15, 2003
no problem willie_hwl

not that dont start with a co-axial(multi-rotor) , just that i think within 1 month u will get bored of it , then if u were to sell it , it wont fetch a lot of money too as used helis.

here is how u tell a fixed pitch from collective pitch

FIXED PITCH

Notice how the main blades are curved which defines the pitch.

COLLECTIVE PITCH

Notice how on this main blade , the blades are symmetrical , and they are almost flat no curvature at all.

fixed pitch(FP) helis have 2 servo to control the rotor head cause all it need is to be tiled front/back , or left/right.

where as a collective pitch (CP) heli has 3 servo to control the rotor head as it needs an extra servo to control the pitch( which changes with the amount of lift u need). and in CP birds , they are mechanical cpm CP heli which uses 90 degree swash and a electronic cpm(collective pitch mixing) which uses 120 degree swash. if u guys want more details let me know. but i will spare the details for later =).

well choosing heli , comes down to your budget. its the cost of heli+crash cost . I know it sounds bad but seriously all new pilots crash one way or another.

If the shop closest to you sell esky products go with esky , if trex then go trex. I know trex is a bit expensive but that is just the initial cost , the crash cost will be almost identical to a lama v3 , but the pay off is u get a real quality heli to learn and progress on.

if budget doesn't allow it a FP heli is your best toy to progress on as it can fo FFF( fast forward flight) , resist wind , more robust ( compare to CP helis because more moving parts) , banked turns and stall turns as good as a CP just that no 3D stuff . but by that time if u are good enough a trex would be nice or any other CP helis( rule of thumb is get a belt-driven tail heli or shaft driven tail heli) the esky CP2 has a separate tail motor which is quite horrific to control as it is very "squirelly".

I guess i provided the best unbiased viewpoint of which heli to go with.

Jason: Well that heli is ok to learn hovering , but honestly a lot of people have trouble with the parts quality (screw stripping) , radio glitching , u want it to fly up , it went right etc. it is a good heli if u have your own electronics to put inside the walkera. if i were to choose , i would get a Esky honeybee Cp2 instead of any walkera , cause the frustration even for an expert pilot to set it up properly , on the stock gyro etc it just wont fly properly as advertised.

Any more enquiries guys?

Last edited:

DRFT_240sx

Nov 15, 2003
kapster: I will definately go with the ESKY Belt-CP , a lot of americans here loves it so much. I would recommend it to any new pilot as well if you guys are willing to spend an initial amount on it ( a good 6 channel radio , futaba , JR , hitec etc and your own electronics , the esky ones are not too shabby) , im sure kapster is willing to help you set it up to fly it right.

The art-tech falcon 3d has a thread here and huge support if u have quesiton and being RTF means u dont need anything else to fly it. A lot of beginners learn on this heli since it came out and has a lot of fans for it. If you dont belief me you can read about it here =)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4436222/tm.htm

btw kapster, how much are u selling the belt-cp for? im coming back in december and hope to pick one up from u too if u are selling it at a nice price compared to the US vendors here.

Some great r/c heli forums with gobs of information:

http://www.runryder.com
http://www.helifreak.com
http://www.rc-groups.com
http://www.rcuniverse.com

Last edited:

jasonchan

500 RPM
Jun 1, 2004
okok thank you all sifu...

here is wat i understand...

if i wanna just see a rc heli hover in the house..get esky lama

then for walkera is a crap brand who does not do as it advertise and got lots of pats problem (even the forum in their oficial web site say this too) but some claim they got no issue...

just asking wat is the reasonable price for a esky LAMA v3?

willie_hwl

Known Member
Apr 9, 2006
Now this thread is really reliable. I like it.
But I still not getting what RTF really means,
dont need anything to fly it as in ?

And kapster quote "comes in kits only"?
Is that mean all the parts are separate and
we build it on our own? Like we buy the
Remote Controller, Servos, what else?
hehehehee

So its better to buy Heli with a belt-driven tail
or shaft driven tail heli.

Yeah kapster, how much u sell the esky belt cp?
Do u do shipping for RC Heli? Hehehee..
If yes, maybe to Miri Sarawak or Brunei Darussalam.

Thanks all.

Cheers,
Will.

kapster

Known Member
Dec 1, 2003
Hi DRFT_240sx,

hehehe...dont get me wrong.i can help them set it up but i'm still learning to fly.i spend alot of time fixing the radio and setting up the bird but less time flying.setting up is quite easy once you understand the movement of the servo.the most challenging part is ccpm 120 degree swashplate.

below is the parts that i'm selling:-

belt CP EK1-013C kit(with servo,BL motor,ESC and gyro)=rm 676.
belt CP EK1-014D kit only=rm 351.
E-DO 6ch radio(TX+RX)=rm 232. not bad,i'm using t with my belt cp.
Art-tech 6ch radio(TX,RX,servo*3, tx battery and charger)=rm 255
E-DO 11.1 2250mAh 20C Lipo=rm 158.
Art-tech falcon 3d RTF =rm 850

Last edited:

DRFT_240sx

Nov 15, 2003
erm well i wont say what i think is good or not.

but for an indoor heli , i think FP bird is the best option. and by the time u are good at it , u can "transfer" your skills into better helis where as lama v3 , if u get very very good , the skill is kinda uselss as it is different to fly that.

indoor=fp , outdoor=cp =) .

have money go get a very good radio then a reasonable heli (cp2 , walkera , trex falcon) , if you are serious on heli ( get a good simulator) , if not much money just want to have the heck of it and just think heli is a toy , get a lama.

Kapster: I find this is the best manual out there to set up 120 swash ccpm. have a read through it. really simple to understand

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/T-REX_450SA_ARF_Manual.pdf

or if u can download the huge videos , here is a step by step on trex plus other helis , but since its for 120 swash its practically the same

http://www.helifreak.com/viewforum.php?f=95&sid=5c1b038a3aa32730ea4651e1f778da87

Last edited:

kapster

Known Member
Dec 1, 2003
thanx DRFT_240sx, will read about it.

willie_hwl,

RTF means ready to fly.you can take the bird out put batteres on the TX and just fly.need some fine tune.blade balancing,clade tracking.

ARF means almost ready to fly.have to fit and set the radio.certain kit comes with servo and motor,some comes with kit only.means the heli itself and some servo linkage.

Shipping to miri is ok,i have ship some to miri before.shipment is about rm 40 per heli. brunei i'm not sure.as it is out from malaysia mayb its slightly more expensive.

jasonchan,
its all about luck.some lucky ppl wont have problems with their walkera.my concern with walkera is their price.the walkera hm-60 comes without BL motor or li-po,at its selling price you can get an art-tech falcon which has BL motor and li-po.dont compare those price in lelong.com.alot of price jackers there.
I think the lama would cost around 350-400.

jasonchan

500 RPM
Jun 1, 2004
kapster said:
thanx DRFT_240sx, will read about it.

willie_hwl,

RTF means ready to fly.you can take the bird out put batteres on the TX and just fly.need some fine tune.blade balancing,clade tracking.

ARF means almost ready to fly.have to fit and set the radio.certain kit comes with servo and motor,some comes with kit only.means the heli itself and some servo linkage.

Shipping to miri is ok,i have ship some to miri before.shipment is about rm 40 per heli. brunei i'm not sure.as it is out from malaysia mayb its slightly more expensive.

jasonchan,
its all about luck.some lucky ppl wont have problems with their walkera.my concern with walkera is their price.the walkera hm-60 comes without BL motor or li-po,at its selling price you can get an art-tech falcon which has BL motor and li-po.dont compare those price in lelong.com.alot of price jackers there.
I think the lama would cost around 350-400.
http://www.lelong.com.my/Auc/List/2006-11DSale4253261.htm

this guy claim got fake LAMA v3...maybe he say tat just to jack price up kua...hehhe

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey guys, I have an 05 Camry which is a company car. When I got the car the car has been previously used by another person. So what I noticed was that when I closed the boot lid it sounded very metallic and hollow like closing a standard Viva door with its hollow metallic sound.

Since it's a company car I'm not going to spend loads of my money on a car which isn't mine. So I took this opportunity to try out some DIY acoustic damping to dampen the metalic banging sound when you close the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience