Putra

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

judas_evo

Apr 17, 2005
aiyaaa...dont u worry about parts la...so many part like mount kinabalu la.every kedai potong got part for 4g93.u can also use mitsubishi 1.8 engine for part,it all the same.

acbc

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
KD
Back in 2000, my dad gave me his old Galant E33A (VR4's 2WD cousin) and I wanted to sell it off due to numerous problems here n there.

So I went to the nearest Proton Edar (USPD at that time) to enquire about a trade-in offer for the Galant to a Putra (they only have auto).

But at last, the sales fella told me, "Sorry sir, Putras no longer in production. Would you like to opt for Waja or GTi instead". I rejected both for 2 reasons - both cars are HOT stuff for thieves.

With only an old car... I went to my family's mechanic for some advice - was not too fond of Galant at that time. He did a quick check and price estimates and set a budget. For RM 15k, he will rebuild the whole car (more like 70%).

Took him more than 3 months to complete the job.

Items:

1. Change current 4G63 DOHC 16V N/T (Cyclone) to late model Galant - 4G63 DOHC 16V N/T (ECI-Multi).
2. Remove / upgrade all old wiring from engine harness to minor such as lightings.
3. New interiors, carpets and roof liner.
4. Wrap all seats with leather. The old man (the one who sew the leather accidentally wrapped the seats with black leather).
5. Upgrade to '89 VR4 bodykits from E39A.
6. Upgrade to '87 VR4 front bumper and headlamps.
7. Spray metallic black for entire car + oven baking.
8. GAB absorbers all round.
9. El-cheapo Taiwan 15" rims.
10. Upgrade to '89 VR4 front grille.

I kept everything else stock until 2003 from exhaust, auto tranny, disc brakes / pads and radio.

2 years later, I plonked another RM 10k for other upgrades.

Looking back at the stack of bills... nightmares! :o

Overall, I would still take the Putra still for 1 reason... it is a coupe. Sporty and hot. And... highly moddable! Yes, the keyword... moddable! :lol:

Well, I'm happy with my Galant now... yeah, there are problems here n there but being the family for 15 years - it is kinda to part away from it. My dad love the car so much that he went out and bought another Galant into the family... this time a pure stocker, grey in colour. Got some plans for this baby once its stock SOHC engine gives up.

Right now... I've a new goal... to darken everything! Colour? Black! :P

judas_evo

Apr 17, 2005
take a look at proton/produa section then go to the proton putra collective topic.u can see many modified putra there.u will sure damn love it..trust me man

Vlad

Known Member
Nov 18, 2003
Crapper

dont you worry about the spare parts. u can get them practically anywhere. most parts are similar to those of a wira/satria

maintainence for a putra is low. just like maintaining a wira. of coz parts will be +-20% more compared to a wiras. however , putra generally do not give you much headache.

get a 2000year one. its newer n will have less probs.

xingyu_tze

Mar 21, 2005
just get the putra, it has a unique "coupe" looks, eventhough i do own a 2000 sgti, i still like the putra, if i'm not mistaken, our putras was based on the "mitsubishi mirage coupe"

anttyk

Known Member
May 5, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Get a Putra. 2000/01 Putras will have less goodies compared to the 1997 ones (example, no Momo steering). But are a lot newer, so less problems. Parts are plentiful as they are Protons. Don't worry. The engine is exactly the same as the SGTi - 4G93P. Try to buy from a seller straight. That way, you can gauge and assess for yourself whether the seller is a person who loves and takes care of his car. Makes a lot of difference - compared to buying from a second hand dealer (hard to get the car's history). You never know if the car was used by a gangster... :) Good avenues would be to look at the 'For Sale' threads on ZTH, TMM, SGTI Forum... Good luck.

Nov 29, 2003
agree on putra 2000 has less goodies. however, having own one, a 2000 blue color; got it new, no major problem.

running on 205/45/16 tires. some minor exhaust mods and filter (nothing much).

fuel cosumption currently RM52 or about 36.5 litres will give me 450~500km with mixed driving (city & highway)

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Wow.... RM52 for 450 to 500km? Mine's a 1997 Putra and I can only get 430km on really good days, usually its about 350km like that only (mixed city and highway driving too). But then again, i am quite heavy right footed also :lol:

trex92

500 RPM
Aug 10, 2004
KL
Visit site
Oh, yeah forgot to mention this too. My friend bought a 2nd Putra from a second hand car shop. Everything looked okay when he bought it, then the problems came. ABS was faulty and the worst was that when he sent his car for an Evo 3 engine transplant, they discovered that his car had an accident last time and they chop the front engine bay and reconnected another one. At that time, it was already too late coz he used it for nearly 1 year liao. Too bad...

Putra3

2,000 RPM
Jan 26, 2005
Subang
Visit site
trex92 said:
Oh, yeah forgot to mention this too. My friend bought a 2nd Putra from a second hand car shop. Everything looked okay when he bought it, then the problems came. ABS was faulty and the worst was that when he sent his car for an Evo 3 engine transplant, they discovered that his car had an accident last time and they chop the front engine bay and reconnected another one. At that time, it was already too late coz he used it for nearly 1 year liao. Too bad...
omg, sad story to hear that man.

carl_eqkul

Known Member
Oct 14, 2004
KL
ehalcyon.multiply.com
judas_evo said:
take a look at proton/produa section then go to the proton putra collective topic.u can see many modified putra there.u will sure damn love it..trust me man
Dear all,

Yes indeed we do have our happening putra collective team here in ZTH. Everyone's invited to join [putra owners only] for the exhilirating never ending fun of TT's and Events organised by our team members.

Also our discussion forum for putra stuffs are at http://groups.msn.com/PutraCollective .

See you there,

-- Carl

nuggyn

Known Member
Feb 12, 2004
i'm driving a 97 putra since year 2000.

apart from wear and tear, no problem with my car, except for the defect new water pump that caused my timing belt to snap. apart from that, it's OK...

if you are worry about power window problems, dun get a proton. If you still insists on proton, get the first few batches of Proton Sagas. Hehehe!

one thing i noticed about my 7 year old Putra, there's still no squeeking and rattling sound from the dashboard.

and who said that 4G93 engine fuel consumption sucks? if you drive like an F1 driver all the time, of course the FC will be high. Even a kelisa FC would burn a hole in your pocket. Drive decently, and you'll be impressed with the FC and please be reminded that it's a 1.8 DOHC engine. Hahah!

LancerEvorry

500 RPM
May 5, 2005
KL
putra for u..........

crapper said:
im a still studying and considering to get myself a car. im thinking of a proton putra, since it has sleek design and sporty look (im still in my teens). Do u people think i've made a wise decision. i need a car that's reliable, low fuel comsumption, low maintainance, and affordable price(im still a student). yet with a sporty teeny(not too grandpa look).

p/s: to putra owners, how's the fuel comsumption?

thanks
Hi Crapper, Terence here. I am sitting a putra now. I can tell u that is really powerful car. Mine one auto transmission also.
Especially the back of putra look. I think this is the best local car. somemore still is Coupe look. Jst want to ask u, where u can find a car in 1.8cc below the 50K. All japanese car or even sparepart is quite expensive compare with local car.
I am sitting my car abt 2 year already. notihing big problem with it. Now i am thinking to change to 4 door car coz now i am already marriage person so 2 door is not so suitable for family car.
Mine is year 1998, metalic blue. milleage is 90K
If u really interested jst let me know.....

Cheersssss........

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
that's have another way to save ur 4G93 fuel consumption ...

change ur wiring to mitsubishi one, use 4G91 air flow and ecu ... power is same and the fuel consumption like 4G91... believe it or not ... ?? but my fren already done it .. :D

mazaziman

Feb 7, 2005
KL
i think we've in the same situtation crapper. i'm about to finished my study (perhaps end of june 2005) and i'm thinking buying a car (after i've knocked out my saga's engine, so sad...). well, the 1st car popped out of my head was putra. i really like this car. like other people said, it's hot, sleek, smart n bla.. bla.. bla.. but the most important is fuel consumption.considering all of the putra's owner comment here, i'm going to get one soon. eventhough my dad didnt like my option. stop listening what other people said. u like it. own it n be proud of it. but make sure u make the right choice. hisshh... ape yg aku membebel nie?

LancerEvorry

500 RPM
May 5, 2005
KL
crapper said:
heh. my parents are asking me.. how is the maintainance? is it worth it? what if the car breakdown? how to find parts since they stopped production?
Hi crapper, Terence here.
I can offer you a good price.
jst sms me at 0162589605

;-) :cool:

cl_wajaEvO

Dec 3, 2005
Hello everybody. I'm a going to be graduated student, looking for an affordable car. After gone through several models, i have come to the decision to get a Putra. However, it's hard to get one nowadays especially the one which is still in stock-condition with manual transmission. Perhaps, i could get one if i'm lucky enough.

Anyway, how's the fuel consumption of the car? What are the common problems facing the car? Thanks. Have a nice day...

sebastianloeb

Known Member
Dec 26, 2006
Crapper, i believe u already make up ur mind by now. Dont worrylah, owning a car is just like learning how to walk when we still a child. fell off many times but still trying until u can... Good luck.

gsr6625

Known Member
Oct 20, 2005
get a 97 model...it's the best if u want to keep in standard in engine wise....this is because onli the 97 model is using mmc ecu compared to the later model that r using siemens ecui was using a putra before i change to a gti...fuel consumption wise...no matter wat it's still a 1.8 4g93p so bear that in mind....with 50 ringgit petrol in ur tank it will bring u about 270 - 300 km depending on driving style....market price for that car is going about 22-25k depending on model in the sense of if it's modded or stock....good luck in getting this car bro....it's a nice car to roll around with in town...cheers

mototo

Known Member
Mar 2, 2004
NSW
Visit site
sigh... late here and nbtd so i might add my 2 sen to this thread.

Just bought a putra... or well.. its actually a lancer coupe but yeah.

Neways the car was bought DIRT cheap ($1.3k Aus). Needs some minor attention to it (interior wise..kotor).

But i absolutely love the car. Its bright red, 1.8 SOHC (done like 260000kms but still has alot of poke in it). :shades_smile:

Going to be doing it up slowly right after i get my current car sold.

Did a 200km or more drive to bring it home. Fuel consumption: I pumped about 30 litres of fuel (or the line between the full and the half tank) and i still had a little more than half tank when i came home. VERY VERY VERY impressed with that.

Doing the car up myself. Future plans include AWD +4g93T. But for now... handling and suspension is the first thing to attack. Watch out for a worklog.. hehe

So far this land has enabled me to get 2 cars that i dreamt to own when i was younger. :regular_smile:

Mweheheheh.. get the putra... there will be no regrets

Cheers

Last edited:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

bad days comin already...

i found out my Accord SV4 2.0 engine was leaking engile oil~~~

can this be repaired? how much? at where?

if the repair cost is too expensive, then i rather buy a bottle of 4L engine oil and top up when needed...

:(
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience