Proton Persona going to Australia

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

After all the bad news lately for Proton with Volkswagen ending talks about a co-operation and 5 straight quarter losses for the Malaysian car manufacturer, we can finally bring some good news.

Firstly Proton has broken its downward spiral with the Proton Persona, resulting in a 3,5 million Malaysian ringgit profit. “Clearly Proton has a long way to go. Notwithstanding, it should be acknowledged that Proton has progressed,” said Proton Chairman Dato Mohammed Azlan Hashim.

With this boost in convidence, Proton has today announced the export of the new Proton Persona to Australia. Australia will see a single, high spec model powered by the 1.6 liter Campro engine producing 82 kW (110 hp) with 120 Nm of torque coupled with a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission. The Proton Persona is based on the Gen2 Hatch platform and has sold over 20.000 units in the three months since its Malaysian launch.

How long until Europe will see the Persona?

Source:
Proton Persona Ready for Australia

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
transplant or not..its not our business..or is it?
giv em a break. let Proton "breathe" a bit. don't slam the weaks, support them.

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
First, no, they are not going to transplant an Evolution engine into it, because the engine itself is expensive. Then there is the issue of engineering certification for the transplant, and of course, the cost involved.

Secondly, they shouldn't be even breathing if they continue to produce cars of low quality (even the Koreans are doing better), powerless, and non ESP equipped. If they want to stay in the game, they've got a LONG LONG way to go. Exporting to Australia is a joke.

Thirdly, yes, they have funny names that doesn't appeal to Australians.

Finally, 82kW and 120Nm for a sedan? What year are we living in? 1990? For goodness sake, if you cannot produce at least 100kW and 180Nm out of a new generation late model 21st century engine, you cannot survive in the market.

Let's face it, only in Korea and Malaysia, do small capacity under-performing inefficient engines exist, for the rest of the world, 2.0l is the benchmark for small sedan, and hatchback may come in 1.8l but they are making at least 100kW and 175Nm from the Corolla Hatchback. Even the 1.5l engine makes 80kW and 141Nm from the Yaris, so much power and more torque for a little car half the size of a Persona.

Proton is so NOT in the game, sadly.

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
First, no, they are not going to transplant an Evolution engine into it, because the engine itself is expensive. Then there is the issue of engineering certification for the transplant, and of course, the cost involved.

Secondly, they shouldn't be even breathing if they continue to produce cars of low quality (even the Koreans are doing better), powerless, and non ESP equipped. If they want to stay in the game, they've got a LONG LONG way to go. Exporting to Australia is a joke.

Thirdly, yes, they have funny names that doesn't appeal to Australians.

Finally, 82kW and 120Nm for a sedan? What year are we living in? 1990? For goodness sake, if you cannot produce at least 100kW and 180Nm out of a new generation late model 21st century engine, you cannot survive in the market.

Let's face it, only in Korea and Malaysia, do small capacity under-performing inefficient engines exist, for the rest of the world, 2.0l is the benchmark for small sedan, and hatchback may come in 1.8l but they are making at least 100kW and 175Nm from the Corolla Hatchback. Even the 1.5l engine makes 80kW and 141Nm from the Yaris, so much power and more torque for a little car half the size of a Persona.

Proton is so NOT in the game, sadly.

Proton got their own way to live ma....no fear ma,....gov support ma....go UMNO support oso ma.....

bangkai_jk

1,500 RPM
Sep 4, 2005
m
seriously.. percentage that i can see a proton now is aussie is 1/100 or more than that :S

GT_AUTO

3,000 RPM
Oct 25, 2005
K.Trg
www.facebook.com
transplant or not..its not our business..or is it?
giv em a break. let Proton "breathe" a bit. don't slam the weaks, support them.
what i mean is those aussies gonna turn the persona into a monster la bro.
i no it got nothing to do with us.we can only watch it go down 1320
like a bullet.that all i'm trying to say.not slaming or kicking anyone.:hmmmm:

skazareth

Known Member
Feb 8, 2007
what i mean is those aussies gonna turn the persona into a monster la bro.
i no it got nothing to do with us.we can only watch it go down 1320
like a bullet.that all i'm trying to say.not slaming or kicking anyone.:hmmmm:
alrite bro..sory2..very2 sorry..my bad..my bad..:adore:
my words (down here) doesnt refer to ur comment.

i just feels like umm..u see..when we talk about Proton, then we will get bad comments here n there which is, yea..good for some reason. but to me..in ZtH, no matter we say this n that about em, do they care? do they listen? do they read and say "Ow, maybe theyre right..tomorow we have to supercharge our Campro and sell it at 40g's..".

i can see many so-called engineers in zth talk about their opinion with technical-thingy here n there. y not just tell Proton about ur opinion, if they cant do it still, y not u volunteer to work with em..join their team, re-structure the whole thing. if u really wanna help them laa...but if u wont, u may keep telling ppl in zth abt this n that and wait for the Proton to fall lah i guess. then clap ur hand with joy and buy Sorento.

Proton is a big company. They wasnt built in a day or with 10 dollars. they r not stupid..they know much-much better than u guys..they also know ppl dont like them. Engineers, directors, technical staff, many of em tukar tempat kerja already. The culprits are politicians, those who dont involve with technical at all. to them, to push the profit margin is to pull the overhead while putting aside d performance. thats what ppl buy - a tin can with side mirrors.

sorry, im not pro-Proton..i used to have wira-window problem, i have waja-window still problem. now i drive neither of both. but i dont wasting my time barking.

hoxy

Known Member
Oct 8, 2007
alrite bro..sory2..very2 sorry..my bad..my bad..:adore:
my words (down here) doesnt refer to ur comment.

i just feels like umm..u see..when we talk about Proton, then we will get bad comments here n there which is, yea..good for some reason. but to me..in ZtH, no matter we say this n that about em, do they care? do they listen? do they read and say "Ow, maybe theyre right..tomorow we have to supercharge our Campro and sell it at 40g's..".

i can see many so-called engineers in zth talk about their opinion with technical-thingy here n there. y not just tell Proton about ur opinion, if they cant do it still, y not u volunteer to work with em..join their team, re-structure the whole thing. if u really wanna help them laa...but if u wont, u may keep telling ppl in zth abt this n that and wait for the Proton to fall lah i guess. then clap ur hand with joy and buy Sorento.

Proton is a big company. They wasnt built in a day or with 10 dollars. they r not stupid..they know much-much better than u guys..they also know ppl dont like them. Engineers, directors, technical staff, many of em tukar tempat kerja already. The culprits are politicians, those who dont involve with technical at all. to them, to push the profit margin is to pull the overhead while putting aside d performance. thats what ppl buy - a tin can with side mirrors.

sorry, im not pro-Proton..i used to have wira-window problem, i have waja-window still problem. now i drive neither of both. but i dont wasting my time barking.
I second that, It is all about profit and market. Not everyone who use Proton car for performance, most only as a vehicle to go to work. I am for sure that proton people know that their car is so underpower and all... but then again they are trying their best to improve their car, keep the price down by having more quantity, than can focus on more quality, hopefully then they can bring a car that have good performance and reasonable price. Cmon la, japanese have a market for the whole world... they have the advantage of quantity, so they can make profit by selling cheap quality product while still investing lot of money into RnD. For me, i know for a fact, that we is just as smart as japanese or even better. The thing here is every good invention came from many2 of years of researches and great ideas. It is not that you can duplicate it... it is patented. You must pay royalty if you want to use the same technology. Alternatively, you can create new technology. Tht is what proton is doing with campro and CPS technology. It is very hard if you are 17 years old, just graduate from highschool trying to invent something that others at the age of 30++ have been doing it so long and with help from each other(referring to the way of Japanese). Have respect for our Malaysian Proton engineer. Trust in them cause they is also representing our country's technology capability. They will become the best.

munky

1,500 RPM
Jul 18, 2004
PJ
www.playboy.com
it doesnt really matter if proton engineers is a former chief engineer from Ferrari F1 team.

The Big Bosses of Proton is the main problem. All they want is 'enough' money in their pocket at the end of the day. As long as the car can move, looks ok, PASS.

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
it doesnt really matter if proton engineers is a former chief engineer from Ferrari F1 team.

The Big Bosses of Proton is the main problem. All they want is 'enough' money in their pocket at the end of the day. As long as the car can move, looks ok, PASS.

yahoo...Right into the "G" Spot!!! bravo....:itsme:

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
Seriously, do you guys know exactly what you are talking?

Proton can only work in Malaysia. It has been sheltered from import impacts ever since it was born.

I rather have them stay in the Malaysian market than to enter into the highly competitive Australian market.

Like I said before, there is no place for them here, seriously. Dodgy trim, powerless unresponsive engine, low-quality build and finish, slightly high retail price, and not much after sales support, is definitely something to consider.

Most cars sold in Australian soil now comes with ABS and the multi-airbags (curtain, knee, side, head restrain) as standard, what's more, by 2008, the Australian market would like to see ESP (Electronic Stability Program) or VSC (Vehicle Stability Control for Toyota) as standard fitting to all model line-ups, something Proton has yet to developed in any of their cars.

Not to worry though, because the cars are too slow to even initiate the ESP to engage, how funny that must be.

The Korean car manufacturer Hyundai, has delivered the i30, which came with a diesel variant, that completed the fuel consumption figure of only 4.7L/100km, and for the price of under $22,000 accompanied with the country's first 5 years/130,000km warranty, it would outbeat the Proton anytime.

For this I must say to Proton, "Balik Kampung".

Last edited:

JINEIL2EN

Over 10,000 RPM!
Sep 6, 2004
Island Of Pearl
team99ers.2.forumer.com
Seriously, do you guys know exactly what you are talking?

Proton can only work in Malaysia. It has been sheltered from import impacts ever since it was born.

I rather have them stay in the Malaysian market than to enter into the highly competitive Australian market.

Like I said before, there is no place for them here, seriously. Dodgy trim, powerless unresponsive engine, low-quality build and finish, slightly high retail price, and not much after sales support, is definitely something to consider.

Most cars sold in Australian soil now comes with ABS and the multi-airbags (curtain, knee, side, head restrain) as standard, what's more, by 2008, the Australian market would like to see ESP (Electronic Stability Program) or VSC (Vehicle Stability Control for Toyota) as standard fitting to all model line-ups, something Proton has yet to developed in any of their cars.

Not to worry though, because the cars are too slow to even initiate the ESP to engage, how funny that must be.

The Korean car manufacturer Hyundai, has delivered the i30, which came with a diesel variant, that completed the fuel consumption figure of only 4.7L/100km, and for the price of under $22,000 accompanied with the country's first 5 years/130,000km warranty, it would outbeat the Proton anytime.

For this I must say to Proton, "Balik Kampung".
this called "Bring Out Our Country's Culture"....
let the aussie taste the Proton...hahahaha...:rofl:

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
I second that, It is all about profit and market. Not everyone who use Proton car for performance, most only as a vehicle to go to work. I am for sure that proton people know that their car is so underpower and all... but then again they are trying their best to improve their car, keep the price down by having more quantity, than can focus on more quality, hopefully then they can bring a car that have good performance and reasonable price. Cmon la, japanese have a market for the whole world... they have the advantage of quantity, so they can make profit by selling cheap quality product while still investing lot of money into RnD. For me, i know for a fact, that we is just as smart as japanese or even better. The thing here is every good invention came from many2 of years of researches and great ideas. It is not that you can duplicate it... it is patented. You must pay royalty if you want to use the same technology. Alternatively, you can create new technology. Tht is what proton is doing with campro and CPS technology. It is very hard if you are 17 years old, just graduate from highschool trying to invent something that others at the age of 30++ have been doing it so long and with help from each other(referring to the way of Japanese). Have respect for our Malaysian Proton engineer. Trust in them cause they is also representing our country's technology capability. They will become the best.
On the royalty thing, the cost always transfer to the buyers. It is not the main problem for the point of business. Even people can make tons of money just by getting a franchise and start the business with minimal knowledge.

When you look at proton car, what you can get? Can't enjoy the quality, can't feel the passion, can't drive with pleasure, can't save the petrol, can't be confidence with the safety....and etc. I just can't find a single selling point. Their balls are just too small to invest and come out with something with a feature that convince people to have a second look.

Perhaps, start with an engine with the same engine mounting point with B16/B18 series or 4G series is a good start.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear all,

I'm driving the Saga BLM (A) 2010. Currently suffering powerless braking problem. Let me elaborate more on this matter.

When new car the brake feels ok but not really too good. After bout 9months feeling that the ORI pad cannot stand for high heat so decided change to Bendix Titanium. After change to Bendix Titanium, cool brake feel nothing while pedal have been fully pressed. For the Bendix Titanium i believe it can withstand for higher temp but too bad its fail me too...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience