Project " Saving the Old Lady "

dfws77

Known Member
Jul 9, 2010
Penang
hi guys... i am currently working on a 280zx 2+2 that i bought a month ago. currently is under body works now. kinda hard to find sifu's that willing to spend time on doing it. alot of them told me that i can find these sifus in alor star or sp or butterworth in penang. problem is i do not know my way around to get them so luckily got some ol skool mechanics recommend one place for me in the island. this shop only work on wind screens but the ol timer has alot of lurve on ol cars and he agree to work on my car.
right now.... i am just waiting eagerly to look at it. went to his shop couple of times but my car is not in his shop but in his garage. he will only let me see when it's 50% done. so far i have seen his work on my windscreen before i agree to let him do my whole body and his work is pro. doesn't charge expensive but reasonable. i am posting some pics for you guys to see the before work. i got it from KL and drove it down to penang.
enjoy.

Attachments

dfws77

Known Member
Jul 9, 2010
Penang
externally it looks ok but when you take a close look at it, it needs alot of work to do especially on the rust. now i am getting it stripped down and have it rust remove and anti rust the whole car. later on i will need to find a body shop to work on the bumper rear and front then i will make a heart transplant to it. i am still ding dong on RB25det or SR20det.

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
dfws77...where did u find your 280zx? i'm looking for a decent unit(still drivable) too but cant seem to find any...would prefer it with the original engine if its a 280zx...any ideas? just love the shape.

yrs still looks in very good condition. rust n body panel knocking is just small matter...its the perishables u should worry about such as the bushes n suspension arms...the trims will also kill u from what i heard...

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

hahaha....no wonder the # was so familiar...this exact 280zx was for sale here a few months back. nissan laurel 2.0l engine convert right?

dfws77

Known Member
Jul 9, 2010
Penang
hi arturo.. yes bro. it was on sale in mudah and i got it from KL. it was able to drive from KL to Penang but was running at 80. Now me still deciding whether SR20 or RB20.
anyways.... what you said is true that there are lots more stuff to take care than the body but it has to start from the body first. the sifu asked me b4 i agree to let him do it was "Are you going to use it for 3 years and sell it off or have it for generations to come?". that's where i decided to ensure the whole body is done properly.
about the other stuff like the absorber, bushes and the rest, i was able to find some parts here and there. I did reply on your other thread. like the absorber, it's using bluebird 910. so i was able to replace 2 fronts. then i replace the clutch pump and also the break sills coz it's leaking oil like no body biznis. for the other's stuff that has not broke down yet, the mechanic told me next time just get them to take out the parts and search for it in physical comparison coz if you gonna ask around about 280zx parts, they gonna tell you a big NO.
good luck in finding one of these beauties coz it took me 2 years to get 1 decent wan.

thanks shy for the compliment.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Wah... im so jealous, I love classic fairladies haha!

I vote for the RB20, sounds so sexy on full throttle. The SR sounds nice too, but the tone like x matching with the looks haha. RB engines sound so sexy :love:

And dude, is that an EG bumper at the front?

dfws77

Known Member
Jul 9, 2010
Penang
yea bro.. i was favouring more towards RB20 or RB25. :D
and yes... i believe it's a honda bumper and also the 2 front seats also honda wan. i think the previous owner loves honda. hahahaha.
i am removing both front and rear and also the side skirt. later will look for body shop guy to special made some body kits for the lady. maybe wanna do something like this..

Attachments

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
if i not mistaken he said it was dc2 front seats...if my memory correct...i called him to ask but didnt want to take the car cos engine aredy modified hehehehe

my vote goes for the rb20. since u aredy modded the engine...the car cant qualify for classic status so the bigger the cc...the bigger the roadtax so need to take care...

dfws77...thanks for yr advise over the other side...very hard to get info on this car...wished somebody would sell it with the ori engine. rigth now really preferring a 240z...if not mistake the silver color z picture u posted is a 240z n yah....i much prefer it with the air scoop at the nose. looks more mean hehehehe

LWW...like that oso u noticed hor...now u mentioned it yalah...it does look like a eg6 bumper...but not bad...moded to match. no big gaps.

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
@dfws77 Yeah wei... I rather drive it bumperless. Haha thats nice and classy, I like :love:

BLANk

1,500 RPM
Dec 28, 2007
Sardine
www.zerotohundred.com
im curious that why most of the Z owner here doesn't wanted to maintain the ori L-series instead of convert the engine to RB???

L series engine part hard to obtain,the carbie problemo or low power???

sorry,i just wanna knw why....hehe

arturo

nooB
Aug 5, 2004
SateCelupLand
blank...the l28et power leh....180hp wooor...from wat i read in US forums most of them maintain the ori l28et engine since the power is good, but here u know la, its cheaper to just plonk in an RB n mechs here oso a lot know how to fix n tune n maintain + spareparts easier to find. thats from my understanding la...but i personally prefer to ori engine...more classic mah.

by the way...the L series oso got something called "Electronic Concentrated Control System (ECCS)" not sure if it means it is EFI or carb...anybody knows n can educate?

Last edited:

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
blank...the l28et power leh....180hp wooor...from wat i read in US forums most of them maintain the ori l28et engine since the power is good, but here u know la, its cheaper to just plonk in an RB n mechs here oso a lot know how to fix n tune n maintain + spareparts easier to find. thats from my understanding la...but i personally prefer to ori engine...more classic mah.

by the way...the L series oso got something called "Electronic Concentrated Control System (ECCS)" not sure if it means it is EFI or carb...anybody knows n can educate?
Sounds EFI'd... who ever heard of electronically controlled carbs? :biggrin: Hahaha. Eh but 180hp for a 2800cc car is pretty sad wei. Some more roadtax here in M'sia and all that.

Imagine that VS a stroker RB26 bumped up to the same capacity. Now thats power right there for ya :burnout:

dfws77

Known Member
Jul 9, 2010
Penang
hi arturo... no problem with the advice. i just love to share it so that future Z owners will know what to expect. as far as i can tell RB engines are much newer than L engines and are easier to get parts and maintain. here in malaysia, we have limited resources to find parts and to get expertise in maintaining L engines, thus RB engines start to get their way into old Z. whatever it is, whether original L or modified to RB, as long as the owner loves it, that's the only thing that matters. plus RB engines are quite fast: RB20det (210HP) and RB25det (250HP). oh yea, one more thing that all old Z owners shud take note: most old Z will have exhaust fumes problem. i am facing it but will only take care of it later on.

hi LWW... i too love the garang look of the bumperless but also dun want to make it look too garang also coz it's a Lady mah. hahaha.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi ALL,
Wondering whether there are any GSR-ians who have tried its performance on the highway with the new BMW 3series... I have tried it last two Friday night... fr Kuala Kangsar up to Jelapang toll. Just to many traffic on the right lane as I needed to brake many times, else... sayonara, babe :proud: !!! Pls share your experiences....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience