Possible Wheel Falling Off : Honda Civic

MeraBoy

Feb 6, 2007

Honda Civics are generally respected as reliable transportation, and aren't supposed to be prone to things like, say, wheels falling off. But that's the reason Honda is recalling more than 182,000 of them made in 2006-2007 (USA model).

Honda says the trouble comes from a leaky O-ring in the wheel speed sensor. Water could damage the wheel bearing, which could result in one of the four wheels falling off, "possibly resulting in a crash." Ya think?

Owners of the affected Civics can expect a note in the mail from Honda, offering to fix the problem and replace any damaged parts.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V399000

Mfr's Report Date : AUG 30, 2007

Component: WHEELS

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 182756

Summary:
ON CERTAIN VEHICLES, THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR HOUSING USES AN O-RING SEAL TO PREVENT LEAKAGE TO OR FROM THE WHEEL BEARING. IF ASSEMBLED IMPROPERLY, THE O-RING MAY NOT SEAL PROPERLY ALLOWING WATER TO ENTER THE WHEEL BEARING AND EVENTUALLY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE BEARING, ESPECIALLY IN AREAS WHERE USE OF ROAD SALT IS PREVALENT. IF THE DRIVER CONTINUES TO DRIVE WITH THIS CONDITION IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE WHEEL BEARING TO BECOME LOOSE, WHICH COULD CAUSE THE BEARING TO FAIL.

Consequence:
THIS COULD CAUSE A WHEEL TO FALL OFF OF THE VEHICLE, POSSIBLY RESULTING IN A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR ABS SENSORS AND WHEEL BEARINGS FOR DAMAGED PARTS AND REPLACE THEM FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT SEPTEMBER 17, 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.

Notes:
HONDA RECALL NO. Q56. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Source:
Report: Honda recalls 182,756 Civics to fix wheel bearing O-ring

es2611

500 RPM
Jan 10, 2006
so..izzit only for civic in the US?how bout the civic over here in msia?
i wonder..

bien335

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2009
Johor Bahru
only in US i think.

if there was an issue here, HMSB wud notify all the owners and the respective dealers/service centres.

i wud have received a letter from HMSB if my civic was affected.

ayumiboa

Known Member
Jun 25, 2006
www.takumiphotos.blogspot.com
Oh man!! Are our units here ok? Big blow to Honda......fame......

zephyr3d

3,000 RPM
Apr 29, 2005
near steven's
i wont think its a big blow.. at least they are responsible to do something bout it. Unlike our.. ahem.. u know who i'm referring to. ;)

David_SGTi

Known Member
Aug 15, 2007
alot of ppl's said proton lack of this and that in terms of qc...but now look guys, even big company aso like dat...

zephyr3d

3,000 RPM
Apr 29, 2005
near steven's
but we're talking bout the frequency of the "lack of qc" and also taking the responsibility and initiative to work on it... which our local manufacturer is severely lacking off.

Dont u think so? think bout it.

bryang-unit

Known Member
Mar 21, 2005
Kelana Jaya
yala agree wif zephyr la.. n proton they tell u probs come standard.. if nothin wrong wif yur car...then there is sumting wrong wif proton..

eyong

4,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2006
alot of ppl's said proton lack of this and that in terms of qc...but now look guys, even big company aso like dat...
Ya, "You know who" also responsible mah ... They are responsible to make you pay for their under-quality and horse-shit faults as well ... :mad:

detomaso_runna

1,000 RPM
May 21, 2005
PeNAnG
www.friendster.com
agree with eyong. if they sell everything full specs, the budget buyer cant buy the car. easy to say... everything got pro and cons. you want go quality. buy the expensive one. wanna budget. you get this kinda problem.

QuickRide

Known Member
Aug 31, 2007
still it is a big blow to honda. imagine, honda civic trying to run for best design award again. b4 the results come out, boom.. this news comes out. also, *thumbs up* to honda for being responsible.

MeraBoy

Feb 6, 2007
still it is a big blow to honda. ....
...agreed. Dun forget the std of requirement for Proton & Honda r different & can't b compared, especially related to "SAFETY", cos people r paying premium price, & that's y they should b responsible in rectifying it.

bien335

1,500 RPM
Aug 3, 2009
Johor Bahru
it IS a big blow to Honda, but they maintain the lowest recall rates in the industry.

Earlier this year, a list of 2007's 14 most recalled models in the U.S. was released with not a single car from Honda listed. The details of the Civic recall didn't specify the number of vehicles recalled for each year, but if the list was re-released, Honda could now rank as high as 3rd for most recalled vehicles, trailing only Toyota and Volkswagen.

In a separate recall, Honda is recalling 19,904 2006 Civics for a brake light that could fail.

With Toyota — and now Honda — experiencing an increase in recalls, it appears as though the Japanese automakers are going through some serious growing pains associated with becoming so large — the same that plagued American automakers in the past.

Toyota had more recalls in 2007 than all of the US domestic automakers combined."

E-CB3 - 666

Emperor
Apr 25, 2006
Kuala Lumpur
been reading around this wheel bearing issue.

i also face same problem with my honda elysion rear wheel bearing. previously change both side rear bearing hubs. after 6month it started to revisit me with cupchai motorbike attached to my rear end. damn it.

i believe it is expensive as my last change cost rm1.6k

perhaps this wheel bearing issue can be fix by purchasing it directly with Bearing Supplier.

we need to have the bearing manufacturer / brand & its Product No in order to find it.

im going to search this wheel bearing with near by bearing supplier soon.

i've been told that honda bearing OEM manufacturer are : NSK, NTN & SKF.

This may depend on your honda model & bearing parts no :.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Since we are at the topic of GT-R's, check out this 90's cheesy fun video, created Initial D style, ported in real life dramatic driving. 2 cars set to battle each other in an older Datsun Skyline GT-R KPGC10 and a newer Nissan Skyline GT-R R32. As they drive comically up and down the mountains, they do the amazing J turn around the cone as like Initial D races (in a funny way) and they got lucky and managed to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience