Nissan Livina 1.6AT vs Sentra 1.6AT

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi All, I'm currently still trying to decide between these 2 cars which one I should buy as both are around similar price range. I realize they are different types where the MPV has bigger space while the sedan should have better performance & handling. I'm more interested about their respective fuel economy, overall comfort, and if there are any specific defects/quality issues/weaknesses from these 2 cars. So if anyone has any info/experience, I'd really appreciate if you would share here.
Thanks a lot.

keevan

Known Member
Mar 6, 2006
SumWhereInEarth
hi.... i m using sentra N16 1.6 SGL...not say prefect compare to others in the class...but it is really comfortable for long drive...fuel wise also good but in one condition keep the rev below 3.5K in long drive rev at 3000 can be up to 120km/h 3.4 something 140 km/h since the car heavy should feel the fuel burn a bit faster...stability is ok....interior look like normal cars..no special things....For Livina.... good in flat road if climbing hills i think kancil can beat you...no pulling power if many people in car...as long u wan play with other MPV on road this is not the car....but for slow steady users is ok....if me i would go for sentra 1.8 xgl...really good..make me regret a bit now for buying 1.6...:hmmmm:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
hi.... i m using sentra N16 1.6 SGL...not say prefect compare to others in the class...but it is really comfortable for long drive...fuel wise also good but in one condition keep the rev below 3.5K in long drive rev at 3000 can be up to 120km/h 3.4 something 140 km/h since the car heavy should feel the fuel burn a bit faster...stability is ok....interior look like normal cars..no special things....For Livina.... good in flat road if climbing hills i think kancil can beat you...no pulling power if many people in car...as long u wan play with other MPV on road this is not the car....but for slow steady users is ok....if me i would go for sentra 1.8 xgl...really good..make me regret a bit now for buying 1.6...:hmmmm:
Thx, I know the Livina 1.6 will not be strong cus it's rather heavy, but I prefer 1.6ltr engines due to the much cheaper road tax. :) For me, performance is not very important in this kind of cars cuz this is just for the family to go around. (I already have a very specific preference if I want real performance car).
Btw, any specially nagging issues/quality problems with your Sentra so far?

skf

Known Member
May 8, 2005
U will suprise after u test drive g livina 1.6, coz got good torque

gt6334a

Sep 10, 2010
Penang
hi 6ue5t,

i think in terms of fuel economy and space the livina/latio will definitely outperform the sentra.

i own the latio 1.6 and it gets me 6-7 L/100km on the highway+urban road. the space is incredible, rear leg space is like accord or camry level.

one thing for me is that u are comparing an mpv with a sedan. why are you not considering the latio?

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
i would recommend you to choose grand livina since u mentioned the primary use is for family leisure.

sentra and livina doesn't share the same engine code.
but both share quite the same tech, timing chain, coil on plug and if im not mistaken livina is electrically driven power steering which the sentra dont have.

i dont have experience driving grand livina, just a passenger based experience only.
but i do have experience on sentra. this car is heavy, with the standard QG16DE engine, the power to weight ratio is not good. it is quite comfortable though. rear seats are big enough to occupy 3 persons medium size body. parts are quite source-able from half cuts.
many of my friends who owned sentra 1.6 have experienced engine overheat. why? as i stated before, the power to weight ratio is not good. to pull a 1200+ kg body with an oem rated on crank HP of 98hp is really bad.. (bare in mind, case was in an AT sentra)

grand livina's gearbox are suited differently as it is an MPV. ratios are different from sentra, hence u can expect a good power delivery through out driving.

but its up to u... whatever car u choose..my tip is:

1. drive the car. make an assessment.
2. sit beside the driver and let the car dealer drive the car. make an assessment
3. sit at the rear seat of the car (for grand livina, try 2nd row and then the last row) let the dealer drive the car. make an assessment

both 3 steps above are quite good to distinguish the car satisfies u or not. hope this helps, thanks

Last edited:

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
nissan latio?no many at outside road lo..why ler?nissan sentra look also just lose to honda /toyota same class.engine performance ok also just lose to honda/toyota too...overall is ok also just lose to both old rival too...resale value?cheap after few year win over honda/toyota which still higher price after few year same year same engine cc
any one complaint.?:hmmmm:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Thx all for the input. I've already got the Livina for about 1,5 weeks now and so far it's ok. :) Comfy, quiet, pretty smooth, enough space, just slow (which is as expected) and not as fuel efficient as I like it to be but still not bad and it's only the first time measurement.

markblurberry

Known Member
Jun 24, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
bro...overall good choice....i drive a sentra...its a good and reliable car...probably need to change engine cos its dinosaur edi...but in terms of look, with bodykit...i think still looks better than city and vios...cabin space tapau city and vios....value for money tapau city and vios...hmmm...can match 17 to 18 ince rim without looking out of shape....at least city and vios cant do that!!

Livina 1.8 is also a good choice for spirited driving, 1.6 should be ok too

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
err i dont purely agree with that..

cabin space for the new vios is much better than n16 sentra (be it any model..FL1 etc..)
driven both of these cars almost every week..

if u are refering to the old vios..then yes..n16 is more spacious.

musang

Known Member
Sep 12, 2005
Nilai&Bangi
Sentar FL2....

Best car better then proton hahahahahahahahahaha..

Living with the car nearly 2 years.. maintanace, per 3 month or 5000km.. Oil chagege and filter RM 100.00 only....

Everything is cheap and for the no power issue.... U gain fuel economy drive like orang tua full tank can go from nilai to perlis round round 3 -4 days to kedah.... 580km per 40 +/- L

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
bro...overall good choice....i drive a sentra...its a good and reliable car...probably need to change engine cos its dinosaur edi...but in terms of look, with bodykit...i think still looks better than city and vios...cabin space tapau city and vios....value for money tapau city and vios...hmmm...can match 17 to 18 ince rim without looking out of shape....at least city and vios cant do that!!

Livina 1.8 is also a good choice for spirited driving, 1.6 should be ok too
I totally agree with you. I personally would prefer the Sentra than any Vios or City! Despite it being an old design, it still looks WAY better than any Vios or City, esepcially with the latest IMPUL body kit. In terms of engine power, it's also better than the 2. The only downside to it is that the Sentra on sale now is already downgraded somewhat (rear drum brakes, no ABS) and the cabin is actually a bit on the small side.

Jeff Wong Jf

From Facebook
Mar 30, 2011
www.facebook.com
totally agree with u dude! my n16 is in 17" rims n it seems so nice!!Even though sentra latest model alrdy few years n never update the outlook but i think with Nismo body kits, it still look elegant, nice exterior, big boot lid, n much more better than vios n city in almost same price range.beside,i think old vios look better than new vios at least. pick up i think sentra will definitely faster. (manual). the only thing sentra not good is soft suspension, absorbers and rear brake drum).

markblurberry

Known Member
Jun 24, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yes...we can only blame TC for not bringing in new Sentra..which i think should be coming very soon, what price still not sure yet...Well the suspension is a bit soft but it is comfort - suitable for bloody Msian road, fill with pothholes and whatever holes u can think of!!

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
just blame TC,why pay so much money for sentra still using rear brake drum?other already using rear disc brake...overall,sentra still best car.good buy up for 2nd hand car...no new car.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

sifus out there!!

i need to know what are the downside to knife edge crankshaft lightening?? better to know the downside first i reckon.and what are the goodsides?? i'm re building my engine,so kinda have this in my list.thanks!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience