New crackdown soon on tinted vehicles

honggas

Known Member
Mar 21, 2006
Be Careful Guys !:shocked:

PETALING JAYA: The kinks have been ironed out, new equipment has arrived and a minor adjustment in law is now in the works. Then, the Road Transport Department (JPJ) will go on a nationwide blitz against cars with heavily-tinted windscreens and windows.

The JPJ have acquired new light transmission measuring meters that can be used even at night.

However, they are awaiting a minor amendment to the law governing tinted windscreens before the crackdown.

“Once the amendment is done and endorsed by the Transport Minister, we will conduct the operations nationwide,” JPJ director-general Datuk Ahmad Mustapha Abdul Rashid told The Star.

He said the JPJ had bought 150 Autolight Plus meters from Melbourne-based Autotest Products Pte Ltd. They took delivery of the equipment, worth about RM1mil, from the Australian company last month.

Unlike the previous light transmission meters, the new device has its own light source that can calculate the light penetration level through tinted glass even at night.

“This means we can carry out the operations round-the-clock,” he said.

He said the JPJ would come down hard on owners whose cars have heavily tinted windscreens and windows.

He said in the last four years, JPJ had scaled down such operations and there were many vehicles on the road with heavily tinted windscreens and windows.

“Heavily-tinted windscreens and windows can pose a hazard to other road-users, especially during rainy days or at night. Hopefully, these motorists will be wise enough to remove the heavy tint from their windscreens before we act against them,” Ahmad Mustapha said.

Under the Motor Vehicles (Prohibition of Certain Types of Glass) Rules 1991, the level of light penetration should be at least 70% in the front windscreen and 50% on the rear windscreen and side windows.

Car owners face a RM300 fine if the tint is too dark.

The rules can be relaxed on VIP vehicles and those with official exemptions, such as for safety or health reasons. To be eligible for an exemption, car owners need to obtain an official letter from JPJ.

Autotest Products export manager Paul King said their device, which had been in the market for the last two years, is used by the police forces, road transport regulators and garages in Australia, the South Pacific islands, United Arab Emirates, South Korea, Indonesia and Singapore.

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
they have been cracking down for the past decade, as far as I am concerned, but still, who cares? blame the sun in Malaysia :)

ongteckweng

5,000 RPM
Jul 15, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
hahahaha....
agree with ed...mine are illegal....law is 50% on d side but mine is around 35% while front is legal...same spec for all my cars...hopefully they will crackdown on those MPV & SUV 1st....***touchwood***

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

any one heard of full throttle development(ftd) before?
its at usj area, near goodyear court there

seems like they are proton modding specilalist, and they had tuned many proton cars before
i am thinking to have some mod done there, but before that i would like to have some advice for it
anyone had heard of them before?
hows their workmanship?
are they reliable?
any info about them?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience