Need help on exhaust manifold on evo IX

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

vaioT17

Known Member
Aug 22, 2005
Malaysia
hi all,
I would like to know what's the response on evo 9 after fixing exhaust manifold, o2 housing(turbo outlet) and wastegate.
The external wastegate came out from o2 housing and a dump pipe was installed to the wastegate.

Boost running 1.4bar. Using ecutek.

Before this setup, i kinda feel that the beginning response is much more responsive than the setup up now. Issit normal or anything wrong with my setup?Pls advise...

anyone can help...?

thanks

lanevo6

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
jb-melaka
Visit site
hi all,
I would like to know what's the response on evo 9 after fixing exhaust manifold, o2 housing(turbo outlet) and wastegate.
The external wastegate came out from o2 housing and a dump pipe was installed to the wastegate.

Boost running 1.4bar. Using ecutek.

Before this setup, i kinda feel that the beginning response is much more responsive than the setup up now. Issit normal or anything wrong with my setup?Pls advise...

anyone can help...?

thanks
wat manifold you using? where did you tune your ECUTEK?

vaioT17

Known Member
Aug 22, 2005
Malaysia
bro, i havent tune my ecutek after installing the exhaust manifold. Before installing e.manifold, i did my ecutek at N1 and power is responsive. I'm using Borla exhaust manifold. Any idea? or issit becos i havent tune after installing the e. manifold,o2 & wastegate...

thanks

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
I have the same problem after changing the mentioned parts... By the way, did u take off you cat. n replaced it with a straight pipe?! I think its the back pressure lost!!! With ori setup, our E9 torque is very much higher than after we did the mod... So, i think its the manifold (after mkt part is much longer in length than the ori 1) and the cat. that give the 'lag'!!!

But our car horse power hv gone up a lot!!! Tht's for sure!!! Onli the torque dropped after we changed the setup!!!

My 2 cents!!! :biggrin:

vaioT17

Known Member
Aug 22, 2005
Malaysia
I have the same problem after changing the mentioned parts... By the way, did u take off you cat. n replaced it with a straight pipe?! I think its the back pressure lost!!! With ori setup, our E9 torque is very much higher than after we did the mod... So, i think its the manifold (after mkt part is much longer in length than the ori 1) and the cat. that give the 'lag'!!!

But our car horse power hv gone up a lot!!! Tht's for sure!!! Onli the torque dropped after we changed the setup!!!

My 2 cents!!! :biggrin:
Thanks bro for ur reply. Yeah kinda feel like the turbo spooling is not as good as b4. Low rpm not so resposive. Before this setup, i already took out the cat when i install the exhaust system. But now my mech installed back a small cat in which to prevent the breakage on the manifold. ...

....confused...

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
btw, re tune the ecu helps?
Yep, re-tuning the ECU will definitely help!!! You got to communicate your current problems to your mech, so that they can pay more attention to it!!!

Currently for my case, am thinking of getting a right set of cams to further improve the 'lag' too!!! Wanna go for another round of upgrade!!! Hehehe... :biggrin:

Besides, u still going on the ori E9 turbo?

vaioT17

Known Member
Aug 22, 2005
Malaysia
yup e9 ori turbo.

Btw, what is the difference installing a wastegate directly to the manifold or installing a wastegate to the o2 housing (turbo outlet)? Will it be the power lack bcos of the wastegate was connected to the o2 instead of manifold?

Mine was wastegate connected to a custom made o2 housing and dump pipe was connected to the wastegate.

Installing cam will help to improve turbo lag?or our senario?

lanevo6

1,000 RPM
Sep 29, 2004
jb-melaka
Visit site
Like what S9 said, the manifold lenght is not the same the flow will be diff. Downpipe how many inch 3?? Is better to get it retune for better response and of course cams helps with the right setting. Sometimes you may loose low end but get better mid and top end. i think it has nothing to do with your wastegate. How many mm??

vaioT17

Known Member
Aug 22, 2005
Malaysia
Like what S9 said, the manifold lenght is not the same the flow will be diff. Downpipe how many inch 3?? Is better to get it retune for better response and of course cams helps with the right setting. Sometimes you may loose low end but get better mid and top end. i think it has nothing to do with your wastegate. How many mm??
downpipe 3 inch. wastegate 38mm 1 bar.
Before this setup, without cat. Now with cat. Dunno whether it makes different there...anyway thanks for replying

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Cant comment on the wastegate thingy as myself havent got any!!! :biggrin:

As for cams, yep, it will definitely help our car's response!!! But the main issue here is what kinda lift and 'angle' of the cams you'll choose in order to match your car set up!!! U wanna it to b responsive or rear end power?! This you have got to communicate with your mech as they will advise u!!! :biggrin:

vaioT17

Known Member
Aug 22, 2005
Malaysia
yeah, i guess i need to retune the ecu. See i can get any differences there with this setup. Anyone with the similar setup can pls share here...

DDgreystar

2,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2004
interesting topic :) let me share mine .....i having wastegate on the manifold....sacrificing the poor nice manifold........n i having a 44mm tial;
there are 2 schools of thoughts having external wastegate on either the manifold, or turbo outlet. Chose the direct plumbing on manifold as many claimed the response to be faster n easier maintenace as compared to having it down there at turbo outlet, in the event when maintenance work needs to be done such as welding on cracks or whatsoever n easier on monitoring too :D

however since u r having a e9.....its difficult for me to say....mine is 7 so its different in terms of power delivery....but 1 thing for sure.....i have seen a e9 having same setup as mine b4....n i even test drove it :D its just as fast.....slight lag yes but very highly responsive in mid range n high end :D

vaioT17

Known Member
Aug 22, 2005
Malaysia
interesting topic :) let me share mine .....i having wastegate on the manifold....sacrificing the poor nice manifold........n i having a 44mm tial;
there are 2 schools of thoughts having external wastegate on either the manifold, or turbo outlet. Chose the direct plumbing on manifold as many claimed the response to be faster n easier maintenace as compared to having it down there at turbo outlet, in the event when maintenance work needs to be done such as welding on cracks or whatsoever n easier on monitoring too :D

however since u r having a e9.....its difficult for me to say....mine is 7 so its different in terms of power delivery....but 1 thing for sure.....i have seen a e9 having same setup as mine b4....n i even test drove it :D its just as fast.....slight lag yes but very highly responsive in mid range n high end :D
yeah doesnt want to sacrifice the manifold which just bought..thats y installed the wastegate to the turbo outlet and at the same time installed back the cat. Yes slightly lag in low range. Not as good/responsive as b4. But rpm can go up to 8k.
Bro,ur setup will lose low range power or not so responsive as b4 on low rpm? :)

vaioT17

Known Member
Aug 22, 2005
Malaysia
Is there any difference exhaust with cat or without with those setup?

Stormvolution 9

3,000 RPM
Jun 18, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Is there any difference exhaust with cat or without with those setup?
To me, i think with cat. the back pressure will b higher thus better pick up response... Where as without cat. the rear end power and speed will b much better due to no back pressure holding it back!!!

:biggrin:

DDgreystar

2,000 RPM
Sep 20, 2004
i think without cat still better.....becoz its not so much restrictive....anyways...its not just how much with or without cat can do.......it also depends on other variables....such as your turbo outlet ....your downpipe sizing....your exhaust piping n box design.......

from my understanding........if sacrificing on low end pickup.....2-3k rpm(response time) in return for a power rockin macam vtec....from 4k all the way till kingdom comes at around 8k way its worth it ;) but of coz....this would need further combinations apart from the ext. wastegate......i cant comment much on e9.....but for other evos....usually the best is with a set of cam kit setup :D

A Post Every 5 Mins

im just a junior wanna a performance Turbo cars, need help from profesional person to decide for me.

Should i go for 2nd hand Wira 1.8(m)limited edition 4g93n/a and add on turbo kit TDO4+E manage+turbo meter.....just boost around 0.6 bar but is more cheaper to feel turbo power, but if modify like this cause is engine n/a the engine will having any problem....

or go on 2nd hand satria 1.6(m) n totally halfcut to evo 4g63t, is it rm25k enough for process turning+transplant+jpj...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience