need help on engine rev ** weird experience**

killa626

Known Member
Jan 10, 2006
Guys,

Need some advice. Whenever i start my car in the morning and put it onto "D4" to drive, the first gear change to second gear is ok but the change from 2nd to 3rd gear is a bit problematic/weird. The thing is the rpm would rev up to around 2500 and suddenly my car will feel like loosing power. It tends to try and die at around 2500 rpm and even i i floor the pedal the rpm doesnt go up. Not until a second or two then it resumes back to normal rpm speed and the gear changes are normal.

It is the same case if i park my car for more than an hour and when i put it into D4 the same thing happens again. It is only from 2nd to 3rd gear change.

By d way, im driving a 96 civic auto transmission. Please help guys as i am afraid this small problem might cause to a bigger problem later on.

Thank you.

G.

killa626

Known Member
Jan 10, 2006
finally someone who can help me. bro, oil flush meaning gear oil or black oil?

G.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
I had the exact same problem, but in my case, it was water that somehow got mixed in with the fuel (I pumped at a station, and the bangla thought it suitable to pump while rain was pouring in the direction of the fuel tank hole)

After a couple of tankfuls, the problem disappeared. Mine was around 2K rpm as well, it's like suddenly the engine lost all power. Mine only happens during cold starts and warm up driving though, once the engine is warmed up proper, the problem doesn't exists.

But I did run some diagnostics though, it seems that during the time it looses power, duty cycle of the injector spiked, so if your mechanic has a diagnostic tool, it's worth to try and troubleshoot and understand the problem better.

Last edited by a moderator:

killa626

Known Member
Jan 10, 2006
bro shiro,

Thanks for d info. Glad to know there is someone who had the same experience.

But i have filled up petrol twice and i usually fill up when the warning ligts turn on. And i just filled up full tank 3 days ago but the problem still there.

Are we sure that it has nothing to do with the gearbox? Maybe a gearbox overhaul might help?

How to check if injector is faulty?

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
Well, it's an auto, and since auto is connected to the ECU, and some aspects of the engine is dictated by the auto trans, I would say that it's highly unlikely, but wouldn't rule it out 100%.

Since you seem to want to troubleshoot the problem, just do the usual suspects when the engine isn't running right.

1. check plugs and replace if needed.
2. swap to another set of plug cables.
3. injector cleanup.
4. check fuel filter and pump from the fuel tank.

A question, does it happen intermittenly just after cold starting or even when the engine is hot?

killa626

Known Member
Jan 10, 2006
bro shiro,

It happens after cold starts as well as when the engine is hot. Like the other day, i went to Midvalley, parked it for an hour and when i returned the same problem again.

G.

shiroitenshi

3,000 RPM
Apr 18, 2006
bro shiro,

It happens after cold starts as well as when the engine is hot. Like the other day, i went to Midvalley, parked it for an hour and when i returned the same problem again.

G.
could be something else then. so you might have to troubleshoot the problem one by one by process of elimination.

killa626

Known Member
Jan 10, 2006
yeah...i`ll try changing the plugs n cables n oil, then see if there is any improvements...if not then what???ovehaul gearbox??? By the way, how much does it cost to overhaul gearbox?
Thankss

G.

king_jamez

500 RPM
Apr 13, 2007
hey guys...i had this rev problem wit my eg as well...but not sure if it's the same problem...mine is when during the 2nd to 3rd gear change as well...it somehow couldnt climb up to the next gear when it's supposed to and the rpm will fluctuate up and down a few times....when i pedal it harder, only then the gear changes happen...it's not everytime that i get this problem...only experienced it a few times...is this the exact same problem ur having killa626? is it possible for gear slip in an auto tranny? i asked the mechanic and he suggested for gearbox overhaul...is it necessary or can i flush it? pls enlighten me...thanks!

killa626

Known Member
Jan 10, 2006
bro king...

its exactly the same problem but one bro told me to check the ECU as the ECU is very likely to fail due to the age of the car. I will check it this week and update later.

G.

king_jamez

500 RPM
Apr 13, 2007
yeah...i was told to check my ECU as well...cuz the ECU has just been repaired not long ago by the previous owner of the car...let me know if this has solve ur car's problem...thanks!

killa626

Known Member
Jan 10, 2006
ok guys..recent update..got my car to the service centre and it seems that my gearbox has to be cleaned. They used a machine there to flush out the dirty oil and changed the oil. I havent tested my car yet becasue the car is still in the service centre right now...will update again further this weekend after i collect my car...

G.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello all, i just bought a Toyota SEG 1.6 1992 manual..can u all senior give me a hint where can i got for looking those accessory??got any spoiler?skirting?nose? that i can used ler??HELP ME PLEASE....thanks u
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience