My FSAE Car Designing Diary - [T51r]

cqloh

Known Member
Aug 1, 2006
do you have numbers for roll center change in roll and ride for those set ups as well?

generally i'd op for the setup with the least amount of rollcenter offset unless you have tyre data..
camber change is one of those double edged swords...

i can;t tell much from your curves.. you seem to have only .5 inchs of bump travel and 1 inch in droop... why have you done that? if any, i'd limit my droop travel unless you were on a very bumpy course ie rally.. the reason is that you would never want your car to go into positive camber in droop..
i would forget the pink line.. parallel arms have no place in race cars... they found that out in the 70s... the reason being that your front view swing arm is at infinity.. that causes other geometric problems.. and you certainly would not make them level... the last thing you want is for the cars shocks to extend on braking...

t51r

Jan 23, 2009
dont be disappointed..... we know the formula.....wider track width reduce lateral weight transfer. due to nature of tire, the lateral force gained at outer wheel is always less than lateral force loss at inner wheel, so too much lateral weight transfer would reduce the performance of a car in corner. so wider track width reduces total lateral force loss.

would you have a fsae car with much wider track width than others to compete in FSAE by giving a reason to have more grip in corner? 2 cones is likely to be only 2-3m apart and the chance to hit cone is also higher, 2 sec penalty is given for hitting a cone and there are countless cones you have to slip in a lap, i think rear wheel hitting cones is worth to consider in FSAE event, however in racing circuit like sepang is not applicable. how do you think?

siput, your designed bump and droop travel is way too less....that graph does not fully describe the trend of camber change. commonly 2-3inch bump and droop travel is chosen in fsae, however the number comes from your analysis and consideration.

Last edited:

cqloh

Known Member
Aug 1, 2006
would you have a fsae car with much wider track width than others to compete in FSAE by giving a reason to have more grip in corner? 2 cones is likely to be only 2-3m apart and the chance to hit cone is also higher, 2 sec penalty is given for hitting a cone and there are countless cones you have to slip in a lap, i think rear wheel hitting cones is worth to consider in FSAE event, however in racing circuit like sepang is not applicable. how do you think?

yes i would... simply because FSAE is a design event more than it is a race competition... you would gain more points by stating that you have forsaken hitting cones for lateral grip in the static event..
hitting cones might cost you a 2 second penalty.. but the weight on the design part is heavier..
alot of guys in FSAE get caught up in the dynamic events that they forget about the static events...

again.. you can train your driver not to hit cones.. but you can't train your car to have more lateral grip.... so as the saying goes.. you need to spend the same amount of time testing the car as you did building the car... a handful of FSAE cars are tested for the first time 2 months before the competition.. some 1-2 weeks before.. most have their first testing session on the first day of competition... so its not uncommon for a driver to hit the cones... practice and testing is what gives you a good chance at winning a race..

most FSAE cars have a shorter track at the rears because they are set to oversteer.. not because they want to avoid cones..

Bump: i deleted my post... there are too many people out there that do not grasp the concept enough to use...

t51r.. i'm glad you understand what i was trying to say.. now you just need to apply it to a real car and see the changes for yourself... sometimes you have to go against principles and theories to get the results.. not bad.. so maybe there is a future for motorsports in malaysia.. :rofl:

Bump: i deleted my post... there are too many people out there that do not grasp the concept enough to use...

t51r.. i'm glad you understand what i was trying to say.. now you just need to apply it to a real car and see the changes for yourself... sometimes you have to go against principles and theories to get the results.. not bad.. so maybe there is a future for motorsports in malaysia.. :rofl:

t51r

Jan 23, 2009
you can train your driver not to hit cones.. but you can't train your car to have more lateral grip

most FSAE cars have a shorter track at the rears because they are set to oversteer.. not because they want to avoid cones..
Good points.... thx cq:wavey:
(i had forgotten these points)

Last edited:

t51r

Jan 23, 2009
going to get the data from uni today....not sure if i can get full data....

anyone wan a copy of RCVD? pm me if u wan...i wont give the detail here...it is against the copyright ^^

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

To all you Ken Block wannabes, Ford is giving you a hand in getting one step closer to your very own Gymkhana video with a rally kit for the Fiesta.

The Fiesta R2 rally kit is a tuning package for the Fiesta that includes a host of hardcore rally-spec mods that are now available to the general public...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience