MoTec M4 need help

klgauto

Over 10,000 RPM!
Oct 27, 2004
Klang Sentral
www.klgauto.zoomshare.com
after install this Motec M4 by myself & friend into my Toyota 4age20v VVT and can't start the engine,

1, the original 20v ECN removed without cutting wires,

2, a adaptor socket /brige socket/convertor socket is made to connect from the original 20v ECN socket to MoTec socket.

3,using M4 distributor ( is the MoTec original single coil using distributor configuration)

4,after connect the MoTec M4 , switch on engine key on , notebook shows ECU on and conneted to engine TPS,when I depress the accelerator the notebook shows TPS moving and we even calibration zero TPS to maximum TPS.

5, the water temp reading ok

6, the air temp reading ok

7, allot of sensor reading ok, except RPM always =zero

8, when we start engine , must see RPM 100 or so , but it says zero ( from notebook) I and my friend think because the ECU read RPM zero , hence it didn;t tell the iginition coil to fire , hence engine cannot start,

9, we have input allot of setting according to MoTec website advice for the category of single coil distributor , download from www.motec.com.au/drawings.htm

there are many type so we always choose M4 with single distributor but still can't start the engine ,

so all sifu here can you guy pls help me to find out what the problem is , or any sifu you have MoTeC M4 in your 20v

TQ

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
I think it must be something related to RPM signal to ECU,try checking Crank angle sensor,Cam angle sensor,and whatever sensor related...And also These sensors setting in your MOTEC software,unless if you have your ECu pre-Map from MOTEC,so it should start first time..

klgauto

Over 10,000 RPM!
Oct 27, 2004
Klang Sentral
we are using M4 with single distributor setting , and 20v was no crank & cam angle sensor,

f8.

Known Member
Nov 19, 2003
single distributor refers to your ignition output setup.

cuscostrutbrace is right, your problems lies with the crank and cam sensor.

in motec talk this is the Ref and Sync respectively. And there is such sensors on the 4AGE, its in the distributor itself. look carefully near the distri you should find a 4 pin connector with 3 wires one each for Ref, Sync and GND.

its a magnetic sensor and you need to configure the Ref Sync items in Main Setup tab under the General Setup. refer to http://www.motec.com.au/drawings/t11.pdf on how to configure the setup. it lists the respective fields: rFSn, sYSn, rEF, cr T and criP.

you must configure these properly otherwise the motec cannot tell what the engine rpm is and which cycle which cylinder is in.

good luck!

klgauto

Over 10,000 RPM!
Oct 27, 2004
Klang Sentral
thank guy for the info , will check my sensor and recheck the wiring to distributor , will let you guy know how it work ,TQ

cuscostrutbrace

500 RPM
Jul 10, 2004
MOtec is a superb ecu and very high in quality,no way it is broken unless you screw up pretty bad,check the software setting under crank and cam sensor signal as f8 suggest..Good Luck to you..:regular_smile:

acmotor1011

Jul 21, 2004
Hi klgauto,
I m insterested in what you are working on. i have had a 4ag installed with haltech e6k, and after checking from the motec wiring drawing. it seems more or less the same, if you don't mine exchange opinion you are welcome to call me (kolo) 019-2221011, or mail me at [email protected]. cheers. AC

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
I heard from klgauto now the motec can read RPM, because previously didn't change the previous owner's HALL sensor PIN to MAGNETIC sensor.

There was allot of ERROR on REF and SYNC ..... and after getting advice from IPOH ECU SIFU Mr Leow the distributor wires too closed to the spark plug wires, hence probably got noise / interference. So after separate them further, no more error.

It now starts but dies after 2 seconds..... probably base map not correct.

I helped klgauto with the wiring adaptor socket design, hence I know. As you can see from his website, we help each other with allot of toys :)

We are going to Ipoh this wednesday and we'll be meeting Mr Leow again for fun :)

Kolo, did you cut the 4AG original socket to connect the E6K or did you make a bridge socket like klgauto?

As you know we didn't cut the original socket, hence there's allot of PINs in the original loom unconnected. We didn't change any other wiring / relay / switches etc.

Purely plug the motec into the bridge socket into the original loom.

We have questions about PINs like STA, HT, OX+ & ISC

OK, I better end here, else kena sounding kepo :)

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
Brian..... I am getting married tomorrow (wednesday morning)...... can borrow your SUPRA for a short trip ???

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
hahahahha, brian, still awake???

I no wedding dinner lah :( - original plan small small...... then now got a few people ....... don't worry lah.... just asking for fun ......... praise your car mah :)

acmotor1011

Jul 21, 2004
Acoustic said:
I heard from klgauto now the motec can read RPM, because previously didn't change the previous owner's HALL sensor PIN to MAGNETIC sensor.

There was allot of ERROR on REF and SYNC ..... and after getting advice from IPOH ECU SIFU Mr Leow the distributor wires too closed to the spark plug wires, hence probably got noise / interference. So after separate them further, no more error.

It now starts but dies after 2 seconds..... probably base map not correct.

I helped klgauto with the wiring adaptor socket design, hence I know. As you can see from his website, we help each other with allot of toys :)

We are going to Ipoh this wednesday and we'll be meeting Mr Leow again for fun :)

Kolo, did you cut the 4AG original socket to connect the E6K or did you make a bridge socket like klgauto?

As you know we didn't cut the original socket, hence there's allot of PINs in the original loom unconnected. We didn't change any other wiring / relay / switches etc.

Purely plug the motec into the bridge socket into the original loom.

We have questions about PINs like STA, HT, OX+ & ISC

OK, I better end here, else kena sounding kepo :)
Hi guys,
i used to bridge the wire to a hardness and plug into ori socket too, like u guys do. can send u guys some photos if u let me hv ur email address.

About the pin, STA its onli sent signal to ecu tht tells the ecu when it's cranking time, normally not used on management, HT, if i m not mistaken its the heater sensor signal. and OX, its oxygen sensor signal, ISC. is the idle speed control. hv fun guys.

Acoustic

1,000 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Hong Kong
www.my-acoustic.com
Brian, I go to Shen Zhen on 13th Feb, this week busy with wedding ..... next week I call you :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

problem 1 :

i got a set of 9.8mm spark plug cables for my diahatsu espri g202.
(BRISK SPARK PLUG CABLES 9.8mm)
the head cable kepala patah, how to replace??

problem 2 :

3cables left (its a 3piston car), i installed those 3cables, i on the engine. when i closed the hood, the alarm goes haywire. anyone can troubleshoot these 2 probs?? man thanx....
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience