Manchester united football club

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search
Seraph said:
In another incident, Gerard tripped himself trying to score also can get penalty and how come no card?

Why ref's love controversy so much?

im sure he did..gerrard wud hav hammered that ball in the roof of the net la hadnt the leg been ther..steven gerrard is not a player who goes down that easy la..unlike sum other players..which i dun think its appropriate to mention

well.. it is a good start for Manu. But then again, as usual, u can still see manu's sudden "switch-off" ..... suddenly u see they down the tempo of the game...

but as we all know.. good start... see alot of running off the ball.. wit the ball... no more typical manu's kicking the ball up to striker kind of game.

Seraph said:
when you're the best people are jealous of you and always give you problems.

thats bad... isnt it chelsea player more popular since chelsea is making a debut now!

Some people are like what the Chinese like to say; "Eat full, no shit to pass, look for fight".

I also like how some people try to convince themselves that Stevie G is an angel when he has been known for malicious tackles and diving. Sure, go ahead and believe what you want.

Penalty fuels Gerrard dive debate

England midfielder Steven Gerrard
Gerrard won the penalty - but Lampard missed it

Former England striker Ian Wright defended Steven Gerrard's "dive" to earn a penalty in the win over Hungary.

Replays showed there was no contact from Csaba Feher on Gerrard but Wright did not condemn the England midfielder.

"Other teams will do it against us, so why don't we? It will happen to us again, so we should," he said during the BBC's Match of The Day coverage.

Ex-England skipper and fellow BBC pundit Terry Butcher said he believed Gerrard dived to get the spot-kick.

Butcher told Five Live Sport: "It was never a penalty, Gerrard dived. You can't give a penalty for that.

"Feher came in two-footed to win the ball and Gerrard took it to one side and then went down, there was no contact whatsoever.

"Had there been contact he would have been stretchered off as it was a reckless challenge."

Crystal Palace keeper Gabor Kiraly saved the resulting penalty from Frank Lampard in England's 3-1 win at Old Trafford on Tuesday.

A Football Association spokesman said it had no comment to make.

Opinions on the penalty from our 606 message board:

I think the dive (and it was a dive) was very sensible. The defender was coming in with both feet. Gerrard jumped out of the way, doing the dive in the process. Good bit of self-preservation. But still cheating, I admit.
SocratestheGooner

If this had been another country, there would have been cries to high heaven.
Tonyaaa

Wrighty should keep quiet if he has the 'they'll do it to us, so let's do it to them' attitude.
UpTheRovers

606 VIEW
It irritates me (and not just when it involves England players) that as soon as players go down there is an immediate assumption that it must be a foul or a dive. Sometimes it simply is a fall or a trip.

The guywithnousername
606: Have your say

England shouldn't have this in their game, and to be honest I'm glad we didn't score the penalty... even though I want us to win the game. We shouldn't have been awarded one, so I don't think a goal would have been right.
SuperEdgarsGoggles

You can't have one rule for one player - ie Drogba or Pires - and another for English players like Gerrard.
Irishlad

Why would Gerrard dive in a pre-tournament friendly? You see what you want to see.
Panchopuskas

Great foot work by Steve G or else he would be missing the World Cup with that two-footed challenge by the Hungarian. And then where would we be...?
KOP_QPR

If it's a non-English player, the English are very quick to call others cheats. But when they do it themselves, then it's all fine and fair?
Soccer guru

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/5033004.stm

si|verfish said:
Some people are like what the Chinese like to say; "Eat full, no shit to pass, look for fight".

I also like how some people try to convince themselves that Stevie G is an angel when he has been known for malicious tackles and diving. Sure, go ahead and believe what you want.

im sure cristiano doesnt dive..

The EPL is alive! The club bashing begins! Been too long hasn't it?

I'd personally much rather point out strenghts on our own teams than weaknesses in others. Afterall I'd much rather win a game because we played well than because the opposition was shite. Time and time again we hear people saying that big clubs have it harder but they also get away with more, there are two side to the coin here. In the end, one can only focus on how the team performs and not on how external influences caused them in. Circle of control right?

I watched last nights game with some mates of mine (most of them mancs) at Breakers and almost fell off the chair when you lot went four up in the first 20 mins. Maybe the critics were right to point out that Fulham were amongst the favourites to get relegated this season. Many a time I hear my Manc mates moan about how they have injury or suspension worries and to be honest it sickens me? Why? I first started watching the Mancs play back in 1988 and if there is one thing I noticed, you lot aren't about having big stars (not until recently anyways). What impresses me most is how the team functions, it was never about one single individual. You could field Van Der Sar in midfield and he wouldn't look out of place. The team has always played fluid football which is why I constantly have to tell my moaning friends to shut it and get on with it, because you have never relied on just a couple of players.

Fulham were totally outclassed last night. Their fullbacks could not deal with the overlaping runs on either flank. Being a defender himself, Coleman must have been left pulling the hairs out of his head. His defenders constantly failed to pick up the surging runs of Saha, Rooney and Ronaldo and when they did, they failed to clear their lines. The signing of Jimmy Bullard was greeted with much excitement after an impressive introduction to the Prem with Wigan. He was however far from his element last night. In the end, the Mancs proved once again why they are amongst the elite even with injury worries.

With reference to the Stevie G dive prior to the World Cup Finals, I'd be the first to admit it was blatant and I am thoroughly disappointed with him. I don't think it's fair though to say he has a reputation for doing so after just one incident.

Duke Red said:
If I have one drink, does that make me an alcoholic?
u did consumed alcohol rite? doesn't it sum up to be an alcoholic? itz just the matter of to what extend of alcoholic u are.

minor, or major.

lets put it this way, given an opportunity to win something out of something... y not? i'm sure most players would do it. But til now.. i definitely say..... ronaldo faked it at the WC.. same goes to Henry...

and now to Gerrard... and also to other players whom simulated.

my point is you have to commit something consistently before being labeled lah. Ronaldo didn't get his reputation after just one dive mah. As you said, almost every player has gone down a little easy at least once. Reputations are earned, not given.

An alcoholic is someone that consumes alcohol frequently, hence the lable. If you have only consumed alcohol once, you are not an alcoholic regardless of what extent.

What? Am I mistaken about something?

Did you guys bother to watch the YouTube links?

So far as I can see, Gerrard has dived more than once. You know it, I know it, just depends on whether you want to believe it. If you are pro-Scouse, you'll probably try to deny it. And don't bother arguing it may or may not be a dive either. Youse never give Ronaldo a benefit of a doubt when he goes down easy. Why should I give Gerrard any benefit of a doubt?

And not just that; remember this?
_38623863_gerrard150.jpg

Ronaldo dives but at least he doesn't launch into potentially career ending tackles at another player.

You can try and bring up Keane's attack on Haaland, but the fact is I don't go around acting like Keano is an angel. In other words, I'm not a hypocrite when I chastise other players for wrongdoings.

-fRëɧt¥£3R- said:
hahha..best..
ill let my signature speak on behalf of me

you mean ajax is better than barcelona ?

Last edited:
si|verfish said:
What? Am I mistaken about something?

Did you guys bother to watch the YouTube links?

So far as I can see, Gerrard has dived more than once. You know it, I know it, just depends on whether you want to believe it. If you are pro-Scouse, you'll probably try to deny it. And don't bother arguing it may or may not be a dive either. Youse never give Ronaldo a benefit of a doubt when he goes down easy. Why should I give Gerrard any benefit of a doubt?

And not just that; remember this?
_38623863_gerrard150.jpg

Ronaldo dives but at least he doesn't launch into potentially career ending tackles at another player.

You can try and bring up Keane's attack on Haaland, but the fact is I don't go around acting like Keano is an angel. In other words, I'm not a hypocrite when I chastise other players for wrongdoings.

gerrard prolly dives once in every 10 games, ronaldo prolly 10 times in 1 game.

munky said:
you mean ajax is better than barcelona ?

no..Liverpool is better than united. n ive facts to back it up..n i dunwan to post it up again..thanks..

hit us back, when u get 2 keep a Champions League trophy

-fRëɧt¥£3R- said:
gerrard prolly dives once in every 10 games, ronaldo prolly 10 times in 1 game.
Sure, go on...find more excuses...thats' gonna help.

I'm sure if you murder one person that somehow makes you better than someone who murders 3.

Do you have physical, irrefutable proof and statistics of Gerrard diving once every 10 games and Ronaldo 10 times every game?

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom