Lube oil Grade & Engine Flushing

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

jemey

Recently watching a DVD about the VTEC from Japan, owner of Spoon answering a question been raised, somehow a question been asked regarding the grade engine oil for VTEC for daily driven, street etc. And the answer was 10-30W. But my question is are these grade applicable to our environment? considering the climate, temperature etc whilst in Japan mostly a cold area and the most interesting was he did'nt recommended using of engine flushing for those who having high running mileage engine but still did'nt understand the reason behind it. Please comment..

i guess this have always been a question to all owners...finding the rite engine lube...for me it's more like trial n error...see which one is good then stick to it...hopefully our confusion can be solved someday...any sifu willing to enlighten us?? :confused:

as for me motul turbolight is the best and reasonable.....:itsme::itsme:

for me i stick with mobil 1....
but it pricey a bit...

If you look at the honda car manual for B-series and K-series, the oil grade for 10w30 and 10w40 falls within the range of our climate temperatures. I've just heard rumours that honda oil's are actually repackaged products from Idemitsu 10w30 and 5w30 oil. I have been using Idemitsu's and Honda Oil for quite sometime but now changed to OWS synthetic oil 10w40. Reviews have been good so far for the oil by others but i just change it coz i find it cheap for a synthetic oil.

My engine flushing procedure is to flush it with the same type of oil for 100km and running it hard and then change it to a fresh one. I wouldn't run those engine flusher into my engine if my engine wasn't in a good state. I just like to do it that way thats all. Maybe someone might chime in on the matter. What i know is the detergent content in engine flusher is high and will definitely clean out the dirty chunks but i'm just not that fond of doing it with an engine flusher. I rather take out my oil pan and start my way from there.

If you look at the honda car manual for B-series and K-series, the oil grade for 10w30 and 10w40 falls within the range of our climate temperatures. I've just heard rumours that honda oil's are actually repackaged products from Idemitsu 10w30 and 5w30 oil. I have been using Idemitsu's and Honda Oil for quite sometime but now changed to OWS synthetic oil 10w40. Reviews have been good so far for the oil by others but i just change it coz i find it cheap for a synthetic oil.

My engine flushing procedure is to flush it with the same type of oil for 100km and running it hard and then change it to a fresh one. I wouldn't run those engine flusher into my engine if my engine wasn't in a good state. I just like to do it that way thats all. Maybe someone might chime in on the matter. What i know is the detergent content in engine flusher is high and will definitely clean out the dirty chunks but i'm just not that fond of doing it with an engine flusher. I rather take out my oil pan and start my way from there.

Yes, that's might be correct regarding the engine flush content. It's effective to clean the dirt of the engine but at the other hand it could harmed your engine in the long period of time because of the chemical reaction containment. It's actually a chemical based not a lubricating detergent itself and i think it's logic. Just take an example of the turbine detergent, ZOK-27 if you ever heard of that, very effective for engine washing, i mean for the engine bay but at the same time it could harmed to the rubber console, seal, rubber gasket, etc..because of it chemically reaction with rubber.

Exactly the reason why I don't use the Engine flusher. Atleast we share the same thoughts on it. By the way, i know who you are jemey hahaha.. I still owe you time to do your car... :sleep: Lets keep it :slug: slow :rofl:

I'm of the opinion that oil grades are just a factor of how thin it is.

If the engine runs hot, running slightly heavier oil shouldn't matter. But it'll probably affect oil pressure. Come to think of it, I should try that once.. write down the current oil pressure, then try a full synth like 0-20w or 5-30w and see if it affects oil pressures.

In for Shiro's result...

I'm also in the opinion that oil thickness depends on milleage of the motor too if no rebuilding has been done and also in built motors, running the right thickness is also important.

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom