• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
Gti said:
That is what i am saying....and i would say ur comparison is by no means inappropriate.
It is how it should be.
By getting a honours degree from a famous Uni is always tougher than a lousier one.
The famous Uni do not get high rankng for nothing.
Agreed wit tis.......

Gti

1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
boggysv said:
I'm a engineering student in london. Putting aside the prestige of the school, I feel as if we are paying too much for too little study.

And to the question of do we really know better about our subjects...I cant say so.

I bet the National university of singapore produces more academically superior students.

Heck, even my friend in Uniten is better than me, and I need to ask her for homework guidance sometimes.

You get to see different cultures, but as for me, I can only conclude that Malaysia is not that bad.

Westerners/caucasians may be able to carry themselves better, but they are still as lazy or as greedy as everybody over the world. Yet they still think they are superior to most asians.
Which Uni u r in bro?
I have an intention to futher my study there....
but i heard the living standard is damn kaw kaw kaw kaw high...

Gti

1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
huakenny said:
one of my fren's brother told me this....how they select/recruit new staff....(given both r fresh graduate without any working xp)

but it may vary from companies...
hmmm...now i recalled that last year during my gf's interview...
the employer actually asked her why she did not go oversea bcos as acoording to the employer...it would be very different had she been studying in oversea countries.
I wonder what the 'differences' are apart from what i had mentioned.

But at least it shows that i really mattered to some Co that u are a foreign grad.

nakata86

Known Member
May 18, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Gti said:
Secondly, the way they communicate out there will be so different as there are so much more emphasis on team work and perhaps, like one of the tailo above said, they are more responsible compared to the prima donnas available here.
Ehh tailou, i'm not a tailou, am still pursuing my engineering degree in the overseas nia. student only haha.

:_:

peace out.

bikinigal

1,500 RPM
May 9, 2005
penang
www.multiply.com
it all depends on personality..
whoever are better off, it depends on the capability...
watever best of a person, it depends on his/her quality..

so, it's all about the individuality...

nakata86

Known Member
May 18, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
Gti said:
hmmm...now i recalled that last year during my gf's interview...
the employer actually asked her why she did not go oversea bcos as acoording to the employer...it would be very different had she been studying in oversea countries.
I wonder what the 'differences' are apart from what i had mentioned.

But at least it shows that i really mattered to some Co that u are a foreign grad.
i guesss thats just the quality of the lecturers in the overseas that differs from the local ones u have back in Msia.
i dont know, if u ask me, i would say that the quality of the teaching standards in the overseas is by far more higher if compared with the ones u have back in Msia. Ive actually studied in taylors college subang and to me the difference was rather noticeable.

Gti

1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
nakata86 said:
i guesss thats just the quality of the lecturers in the overseas that differs from the local ones u have back in Msia.
i dont know, if u ask me, i would say that the quality of the teaching standards in the overseas is by far more higher if compared with the ones u have back in Msia. Ive actually studied in taylors college subang and to me the difference was rather noticeable.

hmm..this is something that i forgotten to mention...

But i have personal experience ont this.
My Coll do bring over lecturers from London for visiting lectures...but...
Gosh.........i never lasted more than an hour in any of their classes!!!
They are so damn boring!!!!!!
After a few times...i actually did not bother to enter all those visiting lecturers classes anymore.
Mind you those are the Professors and Doctors and they are not those small potatoes...

There was once actually...that a part timer(an uncle) was so pissed that he went to the face of the professor and said : You're a waste of our time!
The Professor damn Kau pissed and he actually shouted back...hahahahha

Sounds dramatic but it's true!

zephyr3d

3,000 RPM
Apr 29, 2005
near steven's
very subjective thing.. I've seen equally as much flops fr overseas.... very lousy judgement if u must ask, for those employers to say that.

Duke Red

2,000 RPM
Jul 27, 2005
Earth
I studied overseas and as such I can't really comment on local tertiary education. I can only use the secondary education system as reference. I personally benefited from having been overseas because of what I was exposed to in terms of culture, etc. You will find that what I have to say does not suggest which cert is worth more as I don't think either outweighs the other.

I will put more emphasis into the different methods of teaching and learning. I found the quality of lecturers there a whole lot better. They struck me as people who took their job seriously. The teaching methods also required me to think more and interact more with people. It was a culture shock for most of my Chinese School mates who were really regimented by nature. Is was as though they were given freedom and didn't know what to do with it. Please correct me if it's the same here, as I've said, I have no experience with tertiary education here.

The obvious benefit is that I got to learn about another culture which gave me a benchmark to compare ours to. It helped me develop a more open mind. Living alone (with no family around anyway) also taught me to be a little more independant as I had to settle my own bills, make my own clothes, etc.

You will notice that the things I've learnt are mostly immaterial and is more focused on personal improvement. In my time overseas I've learnt more about being street smart rather than book smart which is why I'm not going into which degree carries more weight.

I end by saying I'm not saying that one is better than the other. I'm just sharing what I've learnt abroad. Perhaps it's the same here, I don't know.

Gti

1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
Duke : Which is what i had been saying
First the culture shock syndrome.Then no more spoon feeding. And yes, learn to be independent.

Yes, some local lectures are shitty.But there are some really extraordinary one as well.Some really really great lecturers who inspires you.I met one before and though he is already earning millions, he still have the heart to teach us.
And i have to say that the visiting lecturers from London, who wrote all the txt books of ours, are no where near him.Not even close.
Had you ever imagined that the text books that we used could be so wrong in the first place?
All because it was pointed out by a few lectures of ours.
But overall i still have to admit that the overall quality of overseas lecturer is better.
Some of the lecturer here esp the new one, don't even know what they are talking about if u know what i mean

zephyr3d

3,000 RPM
Apr 29, 2005
near steven's
Duke Red said:
I studied overseas and as such I can't really comment on local tertiary education. I can only use the secondary education system as reference. I personally benefited from having been overseas because of what I was exposed to in terms of culture, etc. You will find that what I have to say does not suggest which cert is worth more as I don't think either outweighs the other.

I will put more emphasis into the different methods of teaching and learning. I found the quality of lecturers there a whole lot better. They struck me as people who took their job seriously. The teaching methods also required me to think more and interact more with people. It was a culture shock for most of my Chinese School mates who were really regimented by nature. Is was as though they were given freedom and didn't know what to do with it. Please correct me if it's the same here, as I've said, I have no experience with tertiary education here.

The obvious benefit is that I got to learn about another culture which gave me a benchmark to compare ours to. It helped me develop a more open mind. Living alone (with no family around anyway) also taught me to be a little more independant as I had to settle my own bills, make my own clothes, etc.

You will notice that the things I've learnt are mostly immaterial and is more focused on personal improvement. In my time overseas I've learnt more about being street smart rather than book smart which is why I'm not going into which degree carries more weight.

I end by saying I'm not saying that one is better than the other. I'm just sharing what I've learnt abroad. Perhaps it's the same here, I don't know.
like what u said... secondary ed.

Lets compare higher educations... tertiary onwards.

I was made to think more and interect wit others ... same as u did. But, of course, i can't deny the fact that the culture exposure and technique definitely differ fr yours. But, if based the techniques, which u briefly mentioned... then i can say it is similiar. Perhaps itz the standard that they had to comply wit the UK uni in order to provide the course and cert endorsed by em.

anyhow, like what narx said.. itz the substance.

zephyr3d

3,000 RPM
Apr 29, 2005
near steven's
Gti said:
Duke : Which is what i had been saying
First the culture shock syndrome.Then no more spoon feeding. And yes, learn to be independent.

Yes, some local lectures are shitty.But there are some really extraordinary one as well.Some really really great lecturers who inspires you.I met one before and though he is already earning millions, he still have the heart to teach us.
And i have to say that the visiting lecturers from London, who wrote all the txt books of ours, are no where near him.Not even close.
Had you ever imagined that the text books that we used could be so wrong in the first place?
All because it was pointed out by a few lectures of ours.
But overall i still have to admit that the overall quality of overseas lecturer is better.
Some of the lecturer here esp the new one, don't even know what they are talking about if u know what i mean
hmm.. i wasn't spoon fed at college wor. I had german, brits, etc lecturers.... true.. everything have to DIY... no more like our regular highschool teachers.

well.. i grad some 5 yrs ago.. i'm not sure bout now. Hopefully the standard of our education hasn't declined.

Gti

1,000 RPM
Sep 5, 2004
Visit site
zephyred : r u local or oversea grad?

I don't know bout your coll, but mine it's well known for spoon feeding and to the more extreme side...breast feeding...hahahahha

desmond937

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
actually u should compare between famous uni and lousy uni, and also HONOURS! this is very important criteria these days, normal degree ppl dun want to look at it. secondly is the uni u study. so wat if u study in england, but dunno what kind uni, never heard b4 one, who will trust u rite?

munky

1,500 RPM
Jul 18, 2004
PJ
www.playboy.com
A lousy university does not necessarily means everything is lousy. The U im in is known to be the lower class U to many ppl, but 5 of our faculties is top in the country.

sooyeshun

Known Member
Aug 2, 2004
Visit site
well, i havent finish reading all comments...cos too lazy..haha...
i would say they are bad they are good...depends on how your parents mould you. If your parents can support you to oversea, its no big deal, dun too cocky.
There are a lot out there can go oversea.

Advantage of being in oversea, you get expose to diff ppl. matsalleh, indon, hongkie..etc, you see a lot things...you see how they do this and that.
how kiasu is he/she..bla bla bla.
I quite praise matsalleh is that when we group for a project.
they do, they dont scare the due date and the works are tremendous.
asian are opp, rush rush rush, sleepless nite, then erase and do again...and lets say you design a building, asian will come out with a square building while matsalleh will have very creative building design.
dun get me wrong, but its my experience.
when you expose there, i wonder some ppl, but for me...it makes me more humble.
of cos there's pros and cons. but i found out it benefits me. you gain experience which money cant buy.
you get to know a lot a lot of stuff lar...

those ppl who come back with oversea degree, and cocky i duno them lar... parenting problem.

sorry if i offended

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Gti said:
I don't know bout your coll, but mine it's well known for spoon feeding and to the more extreme side...breast feeding...hahahahha
wah... .. which U har? :_:
hahaha.

SataniC

Old Is Gold
Dec 9, 2003
Subang
Visit site
the reason why i went oversea instead of going to the same training centre available at terengganu is cos of efficiency...what took me 2months in UK will end up at least 6months in terengganu.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Spraying Brake Caliper Brakes

Anyone know where i can get them? Any hightemp paint i could use? I want gold colour... lol

btw, anyone who has done this before, can pls gimme some tips? lol. me noob... haha
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience