Hydraulic Lifters for 4G93T

tonytony

Known Member
Apr 11, 2004
lol, like i said, sumtimes i just go whacky..

here is the long elaborated story of how my lifters came back to lives and haunt me, lol

after adding the extra washer, it was all okie.. den, i found out dat joshua eliminated the ticking diesel noise in a modified hilux turbo diesel by using a mono50 weight oil. dat diesel was running smoothly witout the well known clatter of any diesel engine.

after sum time, i cam to a shop and accidentally saw a mono40 weight oil, and the crazy light bulb in my head lit up, lol. just to try maa, u know? if a mono50 is able to quiet down a diesel, den a mono40 weight oil shud be able to help a petrol, at least in my case to keep the noise suppressed down. during dis time, i found out dat my fc got better, but 2 days after i poured 200ml into the crank, i notices a slight noise dat is very well known, a slight only.. den, worrying dat the noise wud get worse, i decided to try a well known oil additive (again, wit the crazy bulb..), the bardahl-1 and the slight, slight noise again disappear for a couple of days.

today, the noise isnt apparent, but as i said the fc got better and iam still on my last fuel fill, 20hengget since last tuesday, it has been around 200km since den
ic ic ic, bro....this is from my experience. just use regular semi-syn (if ur engine din makan minyak). i say this because after i've done my washer thing, lifter noise was on a gradual improving trend. what i mean is lifter noise reduced from week to week and oil change to oil change. by reduced i mean after week 1, lifter was already working like new with no tik tik tik.....and the situation has been improved by so much that now i complain about my K&N breathing sound while idling !! with old engine, i din expect my lifter/HLA to operate like new, so i only get the tik tik noise when cold start in the morning, but that also for the first few revolutions on the engine (that is only at max 1 second). once oil is pumped up to engine head, no lifter/HLA noise at all. therefore, no need to experiment with different different oils any more bro....

hope this info helps.

matnors

Known Member
Jul 5, 2004
Ipoh
up the thread..
dear all,
despite adding washer to the relief valve spring, can we just change the spring with higher pressure?

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
up the thread..
dear all,
despite adding washer to the relief valve spring, can we just change the spring with higher pressure?
I don't recommend that. Cause:-

1) u don't know what spring ratevu're running now.
2) u don't know how much difference u're adding into it.

Explaination:-

when u're adding 1-3 washers, u'll roughly know that the difference is not so much. But good enough to make the difference. What if u've over tensioned the relief valve with over rate spring? U'll have too much oil on the cylinders head and too less oil in the pan/block. So, ur crank and other moving parts may suffer from oil starvation and too little lubrication. This could damage the following items:-

1) conrod bearing
2) main bearing
3) thrust bearing
4) cylinder wall + pistons(no oil)
5) crank(worse case scenario)

tonytony

Known Member
Apr 11, 2004
bro speed,

howz the engine ? better now or still ticking like atomic bomb?

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
bro speed,

howz the engine ? better now or still ticking like atomic bomb?
Hi Tony, thanks for the concern. I gave up trying on oils. And I've ordered the aussie's lifters. Still haven't get it installed cause working 6 days a week and 12 hours a day. Will update the thread once I have them installed.

Well I was even more convinced when a friend of mine tht's using it told me that his putra's engine oil sump was left open for 1 month + and had all the oils in the engine drained out completely. When
got everything installed back and had the engine started, not even a single ticking sound was heard.

Now waiting to get the lifters installed into my engine. Feeling is like waiting for wife to enter the room on the first day of marriage... Hahaha...

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
speed, can u get a pix on those lifters up? i wanna see ler, is the hole made bigger? much bigger ker?

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
When I dismentle the old lifters, the I'll take the picture compaRing those lifters.

tonytony

Known Member
Apr 11, 2004
wow, good project on the way. yes, pls update us on ur progress. how much did the new lifters costs you ?

is this normal for mitsu engine owners to order new lifters from aussie-land? for mazdas, heard of some doing it, the HLAs were much cheaper in AUD or NZ as well

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
Just a guide for Kenny,

Oil Pressure readings for the 4G93 without oil cooler
Idle (Hot) - 1 -1.5bar
Normal driving - 3.5 - 4.5bar
Boosting - 5 - 6bar
I'm using all sorts of engine oils but my peak oil pressure during boost is at 4bar only. Any concerns for this ah? with oil cooler that is... normal driving 3bar only. but so far my engine bearings still in good condition after 2 track days... already added washer to the oil pump spring. :bawling: anyone can donate their 4g9x oil pump for me to test it out? :adore:

Gave up on tappet noise... if you can't beat them join them... :mad:

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
I'm using all sorts of engine oils but my peak oil pressure during boost is at 4bar only. Any concerns for this ah? with oil cooler that is... normal driving 3bar only. but so far my engine bearings still in good condition after 2 track days... already added washer to the oil pump spring. :bawling: anyone can donate their 4g9x oil pump for me to test it out? :adore:

Gave up on tappet noise... if you can't beat them join them... :mad:
Look for mivec pump. They have higher pressure.

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
s2h, your australian lifters fix already ka? let us know if the bitch still tick or not.
MYR800 for all 16pcs man....

AlucarD

1,000 RPM
Jan 15, 2004
Ftzone, I had the lifters installed on my evo and running super silent now. Can even hear my timing belt sound... damn noizy.... huhuhuhuh... :P

s2h, how's the car wei? the monster out edi??

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear sifus and otai

Need some advise here,my ride is proton persona 1.6 auto,is it recomended to change to open port air filter?currently i am using drop in air filter.What is the pros & cons on this?,also is it worth and recomended to add e-manage if my ride is standard and just changed the exhaust system only?your comment is highly appreciated :burnout:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience