Hump defender

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
i think csl your over analysing the situation ler. Its a car so its bound to get scratches and i bet the designers thought of things like this before charging you.
I hope I'm over worrying as well. But the 2 little hump at the showroom place really made me felt bad. Base on 9 years back, during my Satria era, scratch almost everyday for about a year also still ok. Just some minor rust at the bottom. But really jialat when a lot of people looking at me suffering on the hump. But I do have 2nd plan, which is modifying a electric pump to the absorber. With switches to control the front and rear absorbers to raise/lower the car. It will be more simple but less challenge.

If this country has a standard height and type of hump, it will be nice. No hump will be perfect. :_:

Last edited by a moderator:

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
What happens if the Hump Defender breaks on impact, then all the small yellow rollers start to drop gila all over the place. Like Japan fighter plan drop bomb and then kamikaze oni.
Bro, I think you gave me the best reason to stop making this. Potential hazard of murdering other road users. I think I'll go to find Titan guys and ask them to consult on adding a pump on the absorber or jack.

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Kinda stupid if you ask me . Why all the damn rollers that would fail sooner or later. Why not just a long strip of nylon or abs plastic ? It would be cheaper and easy to replace.
Bro, I think the best similar material you mention is teflon, which is the strongest. It won't crack but wear out also very fast wor. In long term, it may cost more money.

theseira

Known Member
Oct 18, 2006
Dude.....try the sideways and over bump technique most of us lowered car owners do. Always works. If it doesn't then get the city council to get rid of those humps(bumps) as they could cause major damage to cars as it's not within specifications. It's there to slow people down and not kill car undercarriages. Anyway....with most modern car owners like yourself, I'd say you'd keep the car for about 2 years or less because of newer models so not much damage incured on the car anyhow. So it really doesn't matter if it gets scratched as when you go and visit the mechanic or the tire shop anyway....they'll still kill the underneath of your car with the jack. It's pointless I guess for the rollers.:shades_smile:

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
Sideways for RX8 is quite difficult becos of the wheel base lenght.... RX7 around 24++mm, RX8 is 27++mm.......

Alchemis

1,000 RPM
Dec 13, 2005
RX8 is no where near as low as RX7.... we have been having pain for such a long time.. undercarriage scratches is normal day to day issue for us :P unless those who made their car stock height or higher than stock height.

as for the energy absorbsion during the impact, material science able to answer the question.

instead of using metal rollers, why don't consider silicon rollers or PU rollers... just like those roller blades... they will wear out after a long time.. and it will absorb the force istead of designing complicated suspension systems.

just my 2 cents.

atkt

Known Member
Jan 9, 2007
Bro, you think too much about your car, the more you worry the more problems will come. By the way, good idea, but don't think it will work. Just keep it simple.

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
RX8 is no where near as low as RX7.... we have been having pain for such a long time.. undercarriage scratches is normal day to day issue for us :P unless those who made their car stock height or higher than stock height.

as for the energy absorbsion during the impact, material science able to answer the question.

instead of using metal rollers, why don't consider silicon rollers or PU rollers... just like those roller blades... they will wear out after a long time.. and it will absorb the force istead of designing complicated suspension systems.

just my 2 cents.
As Goober had point out a very important issue - Safety, I guess it is not worth to risk others (car from the back). When wheels on rollers, it will lost control. I'll try those bling bling car technology, where the absorber can raise up and down (but not jumping).

Lennon

1,000 RPM
Apr 11, 2005
How about we hoover above those hump???? Just JK...... CSL try to avoid humps, that's the only way to survive in Malaysia...

Last edited:

effie

Known Member
Aug 17, 2004
Shah Alam
www.rx8clubmalaysia.com
This is the trouble with humps in KL (Klang Valley, Shah Alam)..... They're TOO HIGH....... The Johor (JB) ones are much lower coz even the works department (polis, jpj, MPJB.....etc etc) drive VERY LOWERED (personal one of course) cars....... Ive come across many out of spec (like in KL) humps while i was living in JB....BUT..... they were removed within a week by council workers coz prolly they scrapped their cars on em too....LOLZ........

Last edited:

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
In my home town, they can put whatever type. size and quantity of hump in front of their house. Just need to pay $$. So far, the highest record found was at my friend's house. In a roll of 10 houses, got 5 (minimum 4" high) humps. When ask them, they said wanna ensure their children's safety. Cannot argue much. And I'm not those type of people who will throw red paint at their house. Really sad.

theseira

Known Member
Oct 18, 2006
Bro CSL....don't throw paint....no good-lah. Just pay $$$ and build one outside each of their homes. 10 inch ones. Walla! Surprisingly here in USJ we have lot's of humps....but of very reasonable heights. Before you can scrape the car....the back wheel starts to come over the humps. So....no grinding at all. But you can't have it all as the jam here sucks big time. So...maybe we can start buiding our cars to fly like Lenon suggested.:_:

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Bro CSL....don't throw paint....no good-lah. Just pay $$$ and build one outside each of their homes. 10 inch ones. Walla! Surprisingly here in USJ we have lot's of humps....but of very reasonable heights. Before you can scrape the car....the back wheel starts to come over the humps. So....no grinding at all. But you can't have it all as the jam here sucks big time. So...maybe we can start buiding our cars to fly like Lenon suggested.:_:
Bro, if the springs are not too hard, the car actually won't grind on the hump if drive at a higher speed. I tried to drive a ori 13 years old wira at 100km/h to pass a hump. And surprisingly nothing happen. But drive at 60km/h, the whole car jump up. Who wanna use their sport car to test (how many KM/h on a hard spring)? :_:

atkt

Known Member
Jan 9, 2007
I think this topic is pointless......and you should spend more time on mod the car in a proper way and not this...:_:

csl

1,000 RPM
Aug 22, 2005
Malysia
Well, bro, at lease tried. Anyway, I'm on my rotational off days now. 24hrs free for 30 days :_:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

We have with us a 2012 VW Passat Sports, unlike the CC that has lots of nice curves, this is the slightly boxy one, netherless its brand new, but been through hell before sent to us.

The car was picked up at the dealership a day before we were asked to come...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience