- 255 at rear 225 at front
- 2 points Ultra Racing strut bar
- Yokohama rubber
- KW Sport Suspension with Koni damper
- 30psi front / 32 psi rear
- camber 0 ( front ) / -1.5 ( rear ) factory default, unchangeable
- toe ( 0 front / 0 rear )
- 1450 kg kerb weight

Tried many-many times..the car refused to oversteer...but understeer all the way..like driving FF. Any proven methods to induce overtsteer ?

MK84

1,500 RPM
Nov 16, 2003
www.mk84.com
Your car is front heavy... tank ma... hehehe.

Things you can try.
38psi rear.
Toe out rear.
Use weight transfer to induce oversteer.
If all else fails, handbrake! :p

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
by right ur car should have a tendency to oversteer (it FR)...

my 2 cents... why not try to adjust the front cambers to negative a bit, so the front has more bite and not understeer...

minivan

1,500 RPM
Jun 11, 2004
BBBangi/KL
Visit site
another thing... while in the corner at throttle, you can try left foot braking, little by little only kay... this usually induces some oversteer or it pulls the car back in line, if you are from understeer...

bazet

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
I have to buy addition kits like K-Mac camber, Pillow Ball mount..to adjust the camebr setting...standard BMW can't change the camber setting.

But I heard kedai tayar can pump the suspension to whatever camber setting you want, issit dangerous ?

niceputera

Known Member
May 4, 2005
Bazet,

To reduce the tendancy of your car to under, try this:

1) increase the front tyre pressure a bit reduce the rear pressure a bit.
2) Use bigger anti roll bar than std. or change the rear ARB to smaller one. (Ultra Racing can custom made one for you - this is one of the best mods you'll ever do on your car).
3) Set the front damping/spring rate softer and the rear stiffer.
4) Driving technique : Brek early before corner, try to carry the speed in the corner more consistently so that less body roll = less under.
5) Use carbon fibre hood - it saves on average 15kg than std which helps in weight distribution under heavy load.

Try all the method listed and you should feel the imrovement.

Cheers.

Kookaburra

Known Member
Apr 29, 2005
Koala Lampost
minivan said:
by right ur car should have a tendency to oversteer (it FR)...
For safety reasons, most FR and MR road cars set to understeer.

Bazet, playing with camber/toe etc will shorten the lifespan of the tires. If you want oversteer, give the rear more power to lose traction! Put in 3.5l, then you will be scared to drive it in the rain :p

bazet

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
3.5L with 2.0 roadtax...and my full 80litres tank can go 320km max ...truly a weekend car......

I'm playing with suspension setting on my M3 GTR ( ps2 GT4 simulation X )

well thanks a zillion guys..........

BoatOwner

Known Member
Feb 25, 2004
morris-racing.com
niceputera said:
1) increase the front tyre pressure a bit reduce the rear pressure a bit.
2) Use bigger anti roll bar than std. or change the rear ARB to smaller one. (Ultra Racing can custom made one for you - this is one of the best mods you'll ever do on your car).
Dude,
Are you trying to make his car understeer like a pig? I'd go opposite on both counts.

I'd increase rear pressure (a fair bit perhaps) and if you'd change roll bars in hope of inducing oversteer/getting rid of understeer i'd definitely go for a stiffer(larger) rear and softer(smaller) front, rather than the way u suggested.

niceputera

Known Member
May 4, 2005
BoatOwner said:
Dude,
Are you trying to make his car understeer like a pig? I'd go opposite on both counts.

I'd increase rear pressure (a fair bit perhaps) and if you'd change roll bars in hope of inducing oversteer/getting rid of understeer i'd definitely go for a stiffer(larger) rear and softer(smaller) front, rather than the way u suggested.
Bazet,

Sorry I've mistakenly wrote the other way around on one of the points.

1) Change the REAR ARB to a bigger one or change the front to a smaller ARB.

Other points as I mentioned above are correct a per track setting guide.

BoatOwner,

I do not know you but I must say that I was a bit offended when you use "pig". My mistake is just because of typo error. Please do not use harsh words when it comes to me. Thanks.

BoatOwner

Known Member
Feb 25, 2004
morris-racing.com
niceputera said:
BoatOwner,

I do not know you but I must say that I was a bit offended when you use "pig". My mistake is just because of typo error. Please do not use harsh words when it comes to me. Thanks.
niceputera,

no offence was intended, as "pig" was most certainly not directed towards you.

The use of the word "pig" was merely to describe the handling of the car, not you. Do a quick google search for "understeers like a pig" or "understeering like a pig" and you will see that it is quite commonly used. It means the same as "understeering a lot," or "understeering like a bus."

With tyre pressures i agree that reducing the rear pressures a bit(from optimum) will reduce rear grip... we were just going for different extremes i think. Up to a point increasing pressure will give a better CF but when that point is exceeded there will be a drop off (most likely a much greater drop off in CF than just going a bit lower in pressures).

With regards to the front arb another thing bazet could try is removing it altogether for a more extreme setting. :)

niceputera... a slight comment on your driving style suggestion(no.4). I don't see anything wrong with your suggestion but just an observation. Often times if a driver brakes early then the unloading of the front early caused by getting off the brakes causes increased understeer. It would be best to stay on the brakes a bit to keep the front end loaded, or at least to pay attention to not coming off the brakes too abrubtly.

niceputera

Known Member
May 4, 2005
BoatOwner said:
niceputera,

no offence was intended, as "pig" was most certainly not directed towards you.

The use of the word "pig" was merely to describe the handling of the car, not you. Do a quick google search for "understeers like a pig" or "understeering like a pig" and you will see that it is quite commonly used. It means the same as "understeering a lot," or "understeering like a bus."

With tyre pressures i agree that reducing the rear pressures a bit(from optimum) will reduce rear grip... we were just going for different extremes i think. Up to a point increasing pressure will give a better CF but when that point is exceeded there will be a drop off (most likely a much greater drop off in CF than just going a bit lower in pressures).

With regards to the front arb another thing bazet could try is removing it altogether for a more extreme setting. :)

niceputera... a slight comment on your driving style suggestion(no.4). I don't see anything wrong with your suggestion but just an observation. Often times if a driver brakes early then the unloading of the front early caused by getting off the brakes causes increased understeer. It would be best to stay on the brakes a bit to keep the front end loaded, or at least to pay attention to not coming off the brakes too abrubtly.
BoatOwner,

Yes I agree with your suggestions. Actually that was what I meant by "try to carry more consistence speed through out the corner" . We can play with the brek and the throttle to balance the under and over effect on the car.

Setting the suspension is a black art I must say ( so goes to driving skills and techniques) . Different person might has diffrent set up but the principles will always be the same. Stated above was the principles and not the details of tuning set up. I believe with that principles, Bazet will be able to "over" his car sufficiently. Thanks.

p/s : I know that pxx is the term that commonly being used, but being a Malay guy, it's not nice to hear (read) that word. Anyway thanks for clarifying.

Cheers.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

National carmaker Proton Holdings Bhd has announced a voluntary recall of its Gen2 and Satria Neo cars made between 2004 and 2008 due to a clock spring malfunction that raises potential safety concerns.

The voluntary recall, which is part of its Global Quality Assurance programme, affects 15,911 (two per cent) of 660,000 cars produced and sold over the four-year period.

The clock spring connects...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience