How to check brake pad

ah lee

Known Member
Dec 28, 2004
:huh: ,,always listen to ppl brake pad is thin,,need to change..but i never know how to check it.

Any sifu out there can point me a way to do it. This is extra important when i go to visit any type shop...coz they will for sure say ur brake pad thinning and need a change (can't blame them as they are also cari makan)

So... how to measure the brake pad thickness and comfirm when to change... :)

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by ah lee@Jan 12 2005, 16:29
:huh: ,,always listen to ppl brake pad is thin,,need to change..but i never know how to check it.

Any sifu out there can point me a way to do it. This is extra important when i go to visit any type shop...coz they will for sure say ur brake pad thinning and need a change (can't blame them as they are also cari makan)

So... how to measure the brake pad thickness and comfirm when to change... :)
There are a few indications:

1) U hear screetching sound when u brake
2) U no longer can do late braking, and have to brake early with much force

ah lee

Known Member
Dec 28, 2004
:unsure: i was thinking how to check it mechanically... do u all know how to do it ah,,like spark plug,,, just measure. But the brake is a bit tricky. Wanna to make sure the shop doesn;t con me..

By the way,, how much is a pair of stock brake pad.. or those PVC one etc..
any sifu for brake pad here? :D

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
i went to a couple of workshops b4... they juz look at it even wif the rims on they know whether it's thin or not.....can 1 ah? :huh:

but i dun think they con lo coz not all the time they'll say thin 1...
n they r close workshops to us.... ;)

afatevo3

Known Member
Jan 13, 2005
sometimes u can hear some sound with u brake.....or when ur brake it not grip anymore

bryan90s

500 RPM
Nov 24, 2003
Visit site
yes the brake pad thickness is visible from outside..with / without tyre on

Erix7

Known Member
Oct 11, 2004
Visit site
easy way...

spray water on to the disc rotor..
then it will go rusty colour rite..
then try to brake...if got line, or the rusty colour still visible
then better go change liaw..

hope it helps..

"make sure ur disc rotor is cold b4 u do this"

dzach2

Known Member
May 11, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Visit site
another trick... put ur gear to reverse mode... reverse a bit hard n hit the brake.. if got 'scrieekekkkk' sound please change ur pads... i mean ur disc pads... ehehehe.. my 2 cents..

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
If brake pad is thin, you take it out and you see that the hard-like-metal rubber surface is close to the base already, then its thin. If like others said, got sound, or got lines on the disc, that does not indicate the pad is thin, this may mean you need to skim your disc brakes. If you see lines, try to skim you disc, take out the pads, get a piece of sand paper, put it on the floor with the sand surface on top, take the pads, and start to sand/scrub until it has a flat surface, sand as many times to get the flattest and smoothest surface. Then you are good to go with brakes spanking new again.

gillbates

Jan 24, 2005
Also some pads have a pad wear indicator - a vertical line in the middle of the pad. If you don't see the vertical line anymore then it's time to change the pads.

edgar_raphael

1,000 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
Visit site
New modern pads has a sensor, not electronic sensor la, but there's a thin metal at the end of the pads, say at certain level of the pads, around 10-15% left, the metal plate will scrub on your disc, thus, making a scretching sound when you are moving, thats the time to replace pads.

man10681

Known Member
Oct 25, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by gillbates@Jan 24 2005, 19:59
Also some pads have a pad wear indicator - a vertical line in the middle of the pad. If you don't see the vertical line anymore then it's time to change the pads.
this might not be true,my pad also have this vertical line in the middle of the pad,when new of coz got,but after a few run it will gone but my brake pad still thick,it's just an indicator that u have break/run in ur brake pretty well,not that it cant be used anymore or time to change already...although the pad is visible from outside,it is better for you to open and see it with ur own eyes instead of listening to taiko kedai saying,oh!ur brake pad has to change juz by looking at the disc brake from outside...what rubbish??they onli can tell whether it is thin or still thick but they also not sure how long it can be used..i agree with edgar,when the times come to change it will give a screeching sound...

man10681

Known Member
Oct 25, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by Erix7@Jan 13 2005, 22:00
easy way...

spray water on to the disc rotor..
then it will go rusty colour rite..
then try to brake...if got line, or the rusty colour still visible
then better go change liaw..

hope it helps..

"make sure ur disc rotor is cold b4 u do this"
sori to comment a lil' bit,this still doesn't show that the pad has to be changed,it might be the pad or it might be the disc rotor itself,it is not 100% flat/smooth n still has some rough spot on it...

escaflowne

1,000 RPM
May 4, 2004
Visit site
if ur rim is like 4 spoke or wat...then u can see the caliper..and like for my saga. the pad can be easily view.when u see the inner layer of the pad is thin then u need to change,and yeah,u can hear squeeking sound too.

acura

Drifter & Racer
Jul 4, 2004
selangor
leonachin.com
Originally posted by dzach2@Jan 17 2005, 12:26
another trick... put ur gear to reverse mode... reverse a bit hard n hit the brake.. if got 'scrieekekkkk' sound please change ur pads... i mean ur disc pads... ehehehe.. my 2 cents..
ohh.. my car like that ah... time to change the brakes liao??
aiyaahh.. soo mafann!! :(

InitialD

1,000 RPM
Aug 27, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by acura+Jan 30 2005, 22:39 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (acura @ Jan 30 2005, 22:39 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dzach2@Jan 17 2005, 12:26
aiyaahh.. soo mafann!! :( [/b][/quote]
Acura, of course lah.. ur car so powderful wan.. got Evo engine inside wan.. don't play play.

kher

1,500 RPM
Aug 30, 2004
Klang, Selangor
Visit site
Originally posted by acura+Jan 30 2005, 22:39 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (acura @ Jan 30 2005, 22:39 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dzach2@Jan 17 2005, 12:26
aiyaahh.. soo mafann!! :( [/b][/quote]
sometimes not accurate 1.... coz sometimes is brake pad quality problem.

i also hav this problem now... ask mechanic to check he say brake pad stil ok wat n i believe him la coz i juz change oni the end of last year.

he told me sometimes different brake pad quality just giv u many type of strange sounds wic r annoying... :angry:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

From BadBoyBen This is a video we put together of the Lotus X BadBoyBen Exige S at Zerotohundred.com's Time To Attack 2010 Final on 12 Dec @ Sepang International Circuit. The Exige was brand new and had only been on the road for 2 weeks leading up to the event. This was its first track day...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience