getting an MR2

H22-C

500 RPM
Jul 23, 2007
hi all sifus, i am going to buy a MR2, 91/95, SW-20 non-turbo auto . pls help answer me some questions.

1. some ppl told me engine & gearbox (auto) is exactly same as old camry, so very easy to find sparepart for the engine & gearbox, how true is it?

2. what are the expected repairs as this is an almost 20 yrs old car, will it cost me a bomb ?

3. this car come with T-roof, how to check water leaks ? (pls dun ask me to pour water...)
do you guys actually always go and open the T-roof? is it troublesome to open it ? where to keep it?

4. this car is basically almost all original, no ABS, what other things need to check ?

5. how is the fuel consumption (non-turbo, auto), is it ok compared to other typical street car ?

P/S: i have to find auto so that in case my wife and other ppl can drive.

iexit

1,500 RPM
Aug 18, 2005
Selangor
iexit.multiply.com
1. Engine spares are available no worries.
2. Typical wear and tear stuff, bushings, rubber lining etc. It can sometimes cost quite a bit but the ori parts last a long long time
3. Go for a car wash and sit inside :-)
4. DO the typical chk, toyota's age well so just need a good look around and under the car
5. Consumption was never an issue, its quite ok, typical of a 2.0 car...

oblivion

Known Member
Oct 6, 2006
So far, i do not really have any problems with getting parts. You have to know some MR2 kakis and they also have their sources, so network is rather important.

the engine is really tough, if you leave it stock. if it ain't broken, don't fix it :)

water leak, well, the only way to test is really to pour water :) expect it to leak, there are ways to fix it.

However, more importantly, i think you need to understand the driving characteristics of a mid engine car.

Good luck in your car hunt, although i can safely say that most of the MR2s out there, are pretty well kept.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey just wanna hear ppl comments on how to mount the changer below the seat coz currently mine is hanging below the seat and it keeps falling on the floor ..... stupid feller ..... dunnno how to put .... go put like dis
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience