Exhaust emitting white smoke.

Nov 9, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Greetings guys,

I'm currently driving a V6 Perdana year 2000, and it has been giving out a lot of white smoke recently. Also I have to keep refilling my engine oil as it runs out quickly. On the other hand, when the engine is cold (eg. In the morning), on start-up the engine produce this clanky sound but the sound soon fades away after the engine is warmed up properly.

As I roughly know, this has something to do with the piston rings or gasket seals (if i'm not wrong). Just would like to hear from the experts here :).

The engine and gearbox was previously overhauled 3 years back (mileage back then was 170k km while current mileage is 275k km). It would suck if I have to overhaul the engine again. What's your 2 cents?

Cheers!

one1002

Known Member
Jun 4, 2009
i'm having similar problems...the clanky sound you mentioned, does it sounds like tappet or hydraulics lifter sound?it's like "tet tet tet tet tet"..

waiting for other's feedback as well...

YYC

1,500 RPM
Dec 30, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
terrytkf,
I am afraid you have to overhaul the engine again because of the worn out piston rings leaking engine oil into combustion chamber and emitting as white smoke. This may explain why you need to top up engine oil frequently.

terrytkf

Nov 9, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
i'm having similar problems...the clanky sound you mentioned, does it sounds like tappet or hydraulics lifter sound?it's like "tet tet tet tet tet"..

waiting for other's feedback as well...
Yeah I'm not sure what component is related to that sound, a friend of mine said something about the Perdana V6s using autolash? :S

time for top overhaul, u could buy the kit yourself & get your foreman to do it.
Yup, I'll be sending my car in for roughly a week in the next 2 weeks to finally get everything done.

NeuroOne

WFH
Sep 11, 2006
Putrajaya
if its the piston rings worn out, u have to do full overhaul, not just top overhaul.
and the sound "tet tet tet" is beocz of the tappet lash adjuster (valve lifter).
this is very common in Mitsubishi.
i've read that the newer generation of valve lifters eliminates the sound but i found those things in Aus or US forums.
just use semi or mineral to minimize the sound.
or check your oil pump (NOT fuel pump) if its working nicely to pump enigne oil to all the engine part including the engine head.

mymax

Known Member
Oct 13, 2008
just ignore la the tappet sound.. unless it's louder than it shoud be..
without tappet sound it's just like watching the video clip without music.. :biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hello..
newbis here...my turbo just 'kong' and want to know the suitable terbo for k3-vet...just a simple one but have a little more power from stock and not to lag...hehehe poor english,sory...my frend said better take vf14 wit ball bearing, same said go for vf33...actually wt is the deffrent btween tis 2...and FTI my vet dont have a manegment...:confused:
tq
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience