Engine Mounting & Evo-6 Cam Set (Repair & Upgrade)

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
When I gotten my car back in over 3.5 years back, I've already felt vibration during in-gear idling. So after so many years, it got worse. Whenever I shift to D or R, the dash and other panels will vibrate.

Anyway, it's time to get this problem resolved. For those who had this done before, you know that it's not cheap. The new original mountings + labor easily reaches RM1.7K. So I had it done. Pictures as shared below:

The new engine mountings.

Damaged old mountings. Hmm.. no wonder the vibration is bad.

This one is severe.

When I was at Ah Wah's workshop. 4 Airtrek Turbos, 1 Caldina GT4 and 2 Evo 8.

Attachments

Last edited:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Okay, I've done an internal upgrade this time. I've swapped my camshaft set to Evo 6's. What's the difference? Well, Airtrek's setting are much softer compared to Evo's. Additionally, Evo's open earlier, closes later and are much higher too. So together with the engine mounting replacement, this was performed in my car. Since the rocker cover, cams, springs are coming off, I had my valve seal replaced too. This is to avoid having it opened again in the future.

Cooling the car down first before removing the rocker cover.

Evo 6 camshaft.

Evo 6 valve springs. This is important as Airtrek's original spring has lower rate, hence due to Evo's higher cam setting, the springs are needed to avoid sticky valve when used with the Evo cams.

Exposed internals. Replacement work taking place. :)

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

RESULT:

Engine mounting - Well, as expected, no virbation or what so ever in any gear positions. It's a leisure to drive and the cabin felt so quiet. Money well spent in this department!

Evo 6 Cams - Difference? Hell YES! Turbo comes in much earlier, when it starts to pull, it gets stronger as the rev climbs. It never fades off around 5500rpm (as the original engine does, but mine has improved after I upgraded the exhaust system). I can feel that the torque is stronger and power band is much wider too. Giving me lotsa smiles. Can't wait to get behind the wheels again. :)

Coming next, remap (again) + higher rated fuel pump + fuel pressure regulator + adjustable cam-pulley to get the best out of it. Will need to stay with stock TD04 because I know many trekers have issue of turbo lag (due to AT) unless I am getting the 2.2L kit, else I'll stick with the original TD04 for now.

Last edited:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
UPDATE:

After 4 days of driving with the Evo cams, I get a better feel of difference.

1) The turbo comes in noticibly sooner. Therefore turbo lag is lesser.
2) The car seems to be very responsive. In original, the same amount of pedaling, sometimes it felt heavy and reluctant to move until the turbo kicks in, then it will charge ahead. With this mod, that feeling is so much lesser. Butt-feel comparison, I think around 50% more responsive than original.
3) Car felt so much lighter. I used to tell my wife that I always drag a 'cow' at the back but now, the feeling is gone.
4) As said before, the pulling g-force is much stronger. I got a g-meter in my car. Usually, the same amount of partial depressing of pedal used to give me around 0.35G but now, the same amount of pedalling will get me 0.40-0.42G. Of cos, this is pretty subjective but I can feel the difference.
5) No more dipping of power above 6000rpm.

I have yet to test the century sprint improvement but my best time before this was 6.671 secs. Let's see how much faster this can improve.

For those whose not into extreme mods, I highly recomend this modification. I was being told last time that this modification was VERY GOOD but I never really believe it until now.

ipin

Known Member
Oct 24, 2004
How about fuel cosumption? Getting lesser or a bit drinker... What the evo6 cam degree? Mind to share..

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
So far, I have NOT refueled yet as I've been driving only short distances. Based on the declining fuel guage, I think the FC has improved. Actually, I do not know the cam degree until you asked, I went to search and found the following.

Attachments

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Yes.... Evo 4/5/6/7/8/9 can be installed in Airtreks. But be really careful because you can't really differenciate between Airtrek and Evo 7/8/9 cams by visual. My mech said Evo 7/8/9 and Airtrek have exactly the same design by physical apperance. They are 'hollow center' designed, hence lighter.

Cams from Evo 4/5/6 are solid cams, that is why it can easily be differenciate between Airtrek cams.

Heard some are selling Airtrek cams as Evo 7/8/9. U can't be sure unless you witness them being removed from the engine. That's what I've been told.

And some even took Evo cams and engrave HKS on it and sell as used HKS cams. :S

Last edited:

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
hehe... TD05 will come last lor... Ah Wah told me it'll be very bad with stock AT tranny due to turbo lag. As far as I know, some members changed to TD05 reverted back to TD04 due to that. The only way to use TD05 without lag is to go for 2.2 lor... so slowly... one at a time. Haahaa...

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
When i drove mine(evo4) compare others with detune 4g63 with td05.detune 4g63 has longer turbo lag.engine n turbo must balance.driving a full evo setup is more efficient.if time allows i let u test drive my atr.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

y can't just change the rubber thing?y the whole thing?i mean the mounting

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

if u really wan td05 the cost is higher la,injector,walbro,fmic,alu radiator,low temp termostat,evo fan,fan controller.this upgrade almost cost 5k haven plus turbo yet.td05 save more in fc.even driving around 140kmh u can get -boost.td04 u getting 0.3bar boosting edi.

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
I agree that to go td05, a lot must be done to go with it. I usually leave it to Ah Wah to take care of everything as I trust him with my car. So far, I'm quite happy with what he reckons.

Mounting, I think the inner rubber insert can be changed but not sure if it'll be good as original. Now when the car is idling on N or D, I don't feel a single vibration at all. Just to make things easy, I got néw original mountings.

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
yea...he knows wut he doin n won't simply change anything unless necessaries.

kaninbu

500 RPM
Dec 2, 2008
KL
i learn quite alot from him n ah keong.until a time i even know how to diagnose my own trek.juz tow to his place nask him chg tat particular part only.

calvin9683

Jul 5, 2004
JB
Sorry, highjack a bit... How much u bought ur evo6 cams??? I'm thinkn to sell off my stock E7 cams... But dunno wat price is reasonable...

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hai guys..

my story...
i want buy a 2nd car, so now i try to find out a new car model Honda Civic 1.8 and bmw e46 1.9.

so any opinion can share with me what the best car should i buy?
honda civic 1.8 or BMW e46 1.9. :burnout:

what difference endurance honda civic and BMW e46 ?

any opinion can share with me..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience