Engine compression

normality78

3,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
JB
Visit site
Guy's,

Other than reffered to manufacture spec list, is there any other way we can tell the actual compression ratio of our engine?

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
talking bout compression, is it possible for us to skim the lower part of the engine head or the upper part of the engine block to increase the compression? would it have any side effects? what i meant by skimming here is to shave off just a lil bit of the top and bottom of the block and head respectively to get a clean new flat surface and also to maybe increase a lil of the compression. is it possible to do so?

this is for NA cars btw =)

boyzone

2,000 RPM
Mar 13, 2005
Need to watch out on engine internal parts balancing... and cooling system.

vantageX

Known Member
Apr 29, 2006
gavan said:
talking bout compression, is it possible for us to skim the lower part of the engine head or the upper part of the engine block to increase the compression? would it have any side effects? what i meant by skimming here is to shave off just a lil bit of the top and bottom of the block and head respectively to get a clean new flat surface and also to maybe increase a lil of the compression. is it possible to do so?

this is for NA cars btw =)

Sure its possible. But why would you wanna do this? If its to gain a few BHP then I don't think its worth it in the long run. A lot of things would have to be taken into consideration, like how much of an increase are you gonna get. Even a bit off the top will be a significant difference and if you do so will a standard gasket be able to handle it?

Will your valves have enough clearance and not collide with the pistons. This especially comes into effect if you have an aftermarket camshaft.

As for measuring compression, you can use a compression gauge to check the health of your engine but to get a car's actual compression ratio then a lot of things will have to be measured. All depends on what your final goal is.

Doink

3,000 RPM
Aug 1, 2004
House
Visit site
u can skim the head...but there is a limit to how much u can skim...if u skim too much the valve will knock onto the piston...
or u can use a thinner gasket to increase compression..

i did my old car with high compression...by skimming the head...
the benefit of higher compression is improved torque...even at quite low RPM(my old car is 1.5 and can climb steep hill at barely 2k rpm...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i need to know which is better???
1) install k&n filter but air intake is hot coz air taken from the hood......the k&n filter i am using is those 360 degree type for caburetor engine
2)stock air filter but modified for cool air intake....stock air filter are those paper type 1

choice 1 or 2????
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience