engine capacity and horsepower

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Dear SiFus,

For cars with say 2.4 litres, they have, without mods, horsepower usually like 240 hp.
Likewise, a 3 litre engine can produce something like 300hp.

While turbo charged Vios can produce 145 hp, why is Vios 1.5 litres only producing 109hp without mods?

regards
Richard
:driver:

j_l200s

Dec 16, 2004
keep this theory in mind. Nothing replaces displacement, except more displacement.

2ndly, it depends on the engine spec. vios's engine is 1NZ-FE. Notice the 'F'? F is for fuel economy. I'll show u another example. We take 4A-FE (Local spec) and 4A-GE (Japan spec). Both are 1.6 litres. 4A-FE churns out 113HP (according to WIKI) while the 4A-GE (assuming the 20V Blacktop) churns out 165 HP (on paper).

another theory is, usually bigger CC engines are meant for bigger/heavier cars and vice-versa so that it won't upset the power to weight ratio for that particular car. How come a kancil with a standard daihatsu L200 660cc turbo has just 64ps (63hp)?

above 3 is only from my knowledge la... hopefully it answered your question. if not, other sifus kindly correct me or top up more info... :)

didie

Known Member
Feb 19, 2006
Sorry but what is exactly ur question? Because as far as im concern, the example u use aren't comparable. Ur comparing a 1.5 N/A and a charged 1.5, and with different displacements? Ofcoz theres different in the power output as the turbo-charged are forced induction. :D

Dayline668

1,500 RPM
Aug 4, 2007
KL
TS was asking y a vios 1.5 not producing 150hp haha... funny question.. A engine is design for a car, not the other way around. j_l200s was right. Take the 4age 1.6 hav a range of 140 to 165hp.

didie

Known Member
Feb 19, 2006
TS was asking y a vios 1.5 not producing 150hp haha... funny question.. A engine is design for a car, not the other way around. j_l200s was right. Take the 4age 1.6 hav a range of 140 to 165hp.
Ohh isee. Thanks for the enlightment. Was abit confuse with the question. :p

meg_omen

Known Member
Oct 28, 2004
Home - Klang; O
Visit site
find or use a 'G' spec engine instead of 'F'...
another example is celica/mrs engine...
you can notice it by this - VVTi & VVTLi...:hmmmm:

richardtan

Known Member
Mar 23, 2009
Thanks dear SiFus,

I now know the diff between FE and ZE and engine code meaning.

Yup, my question was a bit strange. I just wanted to know more about displacement and horsepower. While 2.4 l Camry does not produce 240 hp, what i meant was there are many engines where from the displacement, can tell the hp it can produce. Of course, loosely speaking. There is a pattern.

So, does it mean that the FE engine can have 150 hp if the controlling or limiting by the ECU is removed? So, technically speaking, can I say that the Displacement does correlate to the hp eg. 1.5 litres can get 150 hp. 2.4 litre can get 240 hp assuming the unladen weight is the same . Its just that the power will be lower when the engine is controlled for Fuel Economy eg. FE model?

Nice day yall.

regards
Richard

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
well...thats depend on the manufacturer to design and built the engine according to the need....

like for street use and carry heavy load they put more focus on torque delivery instead of maximum power....while for racing/sports car where they need more HP..then u got high powered engine....

well....now honda i think still holding record for highest hp/liter engine for production car...
Honda S2000 F20c engine with 250hp translate to 125hp/liter....

ferrari i think around 115hp-120hp/liter

both was normally aspirated engine....for turbo engine i not sure who was holding the top status... :adore:

j_l200s

Dec 16, 2004
F = Economy oriented setup.
G = performance oriented setup.

Most of the G family heads are developed by Yamaha.

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
Dear SiFus,

For cars with say 2.4 litres, they have, without mods, horsepower usually like 240 hp.
Likewise, a 3 litre engine can produce something like 300hp.

While turbo charged Vios can produce 145 hp, why is Vios 1.5 litres only producing 109hp without mods?

regards
Richard

I think I know what are you referring to. No, a car that has 2.4 L does not necessarily produces 240 hp. The power and engine capacity is not directly proportionate. The power from an engine depends on a lot of factors i.e the engine design, the tunning/mapping, the materials used.

That is why for a 2.4 L engine, some produce 150 hp, some 160, some 170 hp. That is the standard. We refer to this as "specific output" and it is expressed in power per litre. A normal modern NA engine in a passenger will normally produce around 65 - 80 hp per litre.

Race bred NA engines will have 95 - 125 hp per litre.

Forced induction engines might have 95 - 200 hp per litre.

For the camry 2.4 L you've mention, it produces lower specific output than normal 2.4 L because it runs on atkinson cycle. You can google about that. It gives better fuel economy by sacrificing a little power.

for vios, 1.5 L producing 109 hp, I would say it is healthy for a modern valve-timing engine. It means it has 72.6 hp/litre.

Turbocharged engines will almost always have higher specific output than NA engines because it increases the "effective displacement" of the engine. For example, a vios turbo might have a displacement of 1.5 L. But because of the turbo, its "effective displacement" might actually be 1.8 L (just roughly).