E46 M3 or R34 GTR - Which is a bigger headache to own and maintain

jessie

Oct 26, 2004
E46 M3 or R34 GTR - Which is a bigger headache to own and maintain? Parts, servicing, the small stuff that goes wrong, etc

[H] [K] [S]

Dec 22, 2006
True that since you have the dough for anyone of those, why the headache?!

if u have such budget....no headache...just spend some money and ppl will headache for u....
either one is a great car!

Johnny_9

Jul 16, 2005
...er that i dont agree, even if u have a big budget

.......... and u are not satisfied with the workmanship, not impressed with the knowledge of the mechanic/workshop, you know they (the workshop) dont have the EPC. Also M3/BMW uses alot a special tools so how many workshops have them? That what i mean by headache......waiting time for parts....whete to buy M3 spark plugs....

...double edge sword.

K2 stanley

Mar 24, 2009
I dunno about M3, but my god father 3 n 5 series hve bring him some problem. Such as wiring n some parts wear n tear faster compare to Benz. GTR i had no idea bcoz i didn't own it.

frootloops

May 28, 2009
i think m3 would cause more headache....like u said...where to get spark plugs...plus i heard from an m3 owner, he said that the gearbox tends to give problems...he said might be because of the weather here in msia not suitable for that car and wear and tear parts are not that easy to source unless u hv cash can source direct from Auto Bavaria..which is going to burn a deep hole in your wallet

panjunkz

Feb 6, 2009
Ampang
E46 M3 or R34 GTR - Which is a bigger headache to own and maintain? Parts, servicing, the small stuff that goes wrong, etc
OF COURSE GO WITH the GTR.... if could afford those types of car its not a headache...

hon_cs

Jan 23, 2004
for ppl who can afford to buy one of this, i dare to say 90% of them use it as a weekend car. so what's the headache waiting for parts as long as you can afford rite? unless if you are staying far far away from city then different story. like many rich ppl proverb "problem can be solved by money is not a problem" :biggrin:

wsukun

Nov 17, 2008
London Calling
i think m3 would cause more headache....like u said...where to get spark plugs...plus i heard from an m3 owner, he said that the gearbox tends to give problems...he said might be because of the weather here in msia not suitable for that car and wear and tear parts are not that easy to source unless u hv cash can source direct from Auto Bavaria..which is going to burn a deep hole in your wallet
the weather part is just nonsense
so GTR from Japan not suitable in Msia as well?

jessie

Oct 26, 2004
Is that a SMG?

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

[H] [K] [S];4300214 said:
True that since you have the dough for anyone of those, why the headache?!

Dun want to pay thru my nose.......not filthy dirty rich.....

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

I think a new R35 GTR would be less of a maintenance headache, drive it a sell after 2-3 years.............

[N8]

Jan 29, 2010
That's a bunch of bollocks.
There are so many M3s running around in Malaysia and they're doing fine.
Parts, servicing, etc can easily be done by any reputable BMW workshop.

Don't just ASSUME that just because its a continental it WILL give problem.
All my cars are continentals, if you treat the car good, proper servicing,
replace worn parts, there wouldn't be any problems.

To the OP, if you want to buy such a car like an M3 and you're scared about
maintenance, servicing, and such, I think you should look for another car. :idea:

For more infor : E46 M3 (2001-2006) - BMW M3 Forum.com (E30 M3 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | E92 M3)

i'm driving charade aura cb23 1000cc carbie

i couldl smell petrols when my car idle ..
i think the fuel filters needed to eb changed..and any other prosobilities?
any guides?