Driven: Porsche 997 Carrera S

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

The iconic Porsche Nine-Eleven. It all started in 1963 and over the years, Porsche spawned many generations of the iconic sports car. Six models represent the overall evolution – 911, 964, 993, 996, 997 and the most recent 991. It might not be very apparent, but I’m actually a huge fan of the 911 and had several posters of it on my walls when I was younger. Perhaps the person who suffered the most from my fanaticism was my girlfriend – the poor girl was forced to memorize all 18 models of the 997 line-up. That’s right, I wouldn’t settle for just “Look, there’s a Porsche over there!”.

Looks fantastic in Guard's Red, GT3 aerokit and 19" Techart wheels an added bonus.

Aerodynamically sculpted side mirrors.

Stylistically, not very much has changed from the 996 to the 997; as soon as you spot it on the road, you immediately know it is a 911. While the headlamps from the 997 hark back to the glory days of the original 911, I do prefer the teardrop looks of the 996. Typically, a bog-standard 997 S looks sedate – very prim and proper. This particular car, however, has had a GT3 aerokit fitted, paired together with 19” Techart wheels, painted in an unconventional Guard’s Red; this car proves to be quite an imposing sight.

I’ve got to admit; I’ve been looking forward to driving this car. It isn’t the most powerful in the range, but the bulletproof 3.8-litre flat six produces 360PS and 400Nm or torque and has a claimed zerotohundred time of 4.7secs; certainly not numbers to be scoffed at! I’ve not (obviously) driven a 997 4S before (4-wheel drive Carrera S), but I’ve read that the difference between the two are miniscule, with more motoring journalists preferring the more linear 2-wheel drive S model.

3.8-litre flat six makes 360PS and 400Nm of goodness.

Stepping into the 997 S, it immediately feels... very German. Everything is purposeful, and placement is intuitive minus any sort of visual drama. In typical German fashion, everything is straight to the point. Build quality was good, finish was excellent. The instrument cluster is perhaps the only item in the cockpit that helps to relieve the blandness. While the 997 has a total of four seats, the rears are best left for folks with smaller build; I’m 5’10” and struggled getting in and out of the rear seats. Seated up front is an altogether different story – the bucket seats are wide and provide fantastic support with ease of adjustability. Visibility out of the car is good, and it didn’t take me long to figure out the dimensions of the car. Perfect.

Seats provide plenty of support, even for a big sized guy like me.

Typically German; slightly bland, but incredibly neat. Inclined slightly towards driver.

View from the top; sun-roof was a pleasant surprise.

I start the engine and listen as the quad-exhausts bark to life, and settle to a raspy idle. While most Italian supercars settle to an almost inaudible idle, the 997 S pops, whirrs, ticks, and purrs. The sensation is different; your mind gets you excited when you sit in an Italian supercar (even when the engine is turned off), but the Porsche makes you feel excited sitting in it (with the engine purring). Pushing the button that engages sport mode (firmer dampers via Porsche’s PASM – Porsche Active Suspension Management), I navigate away from Bangsar to find some open roads.

Expectedly, the 997 S was fitted with Porsche’s Tiptronic, two-pedal sequential six-speed box. Located on both sides of the steering wheel, I found difficulty in getting used to the layout (opposed to more conventional flappy pedals located behind the wheel). Changing gears via buttons just didn’t feel as dynamic as pedals do, so I opted instead to drive in full-auto. Gun the throttle and response is immediate; the gearbox shifting slickly through the entire range. Although lacking in outright power, the 997 S accelerates plenty quick, especially when you pass 3,000rpm with another surge of power delivered between 5,000 – 6,000rpm as you make your way towards the 7,300rpm redline.

Quad exhausts look really good on this car...

...as does that large wing.

Instrument cluster provides a refreshing change from the monotonous black interior.

Handling and balance are also strong suits of this Porsche; it’s rear-engine layout helping with traction. Flicking left and right, the steering feels lithe and nimble. There are occasions where it’s rear does feel a little slippy in corners, and where small corrections are necessary. However, this is indicative of the communicative steering that provides incredibly detailed feedback from the front tyres. Braking comes in the form of Porsche’s PCCB – Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes, an option across the entire 911 range. The ceramics deliver plenty of stopping power, and although one might argue that it lacks in pedal feel, these feel much better than the first generation ceramics in older Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

I'm starting to want every car I test... this is a bad habit!

You've got to admit; this is a good looking car.

As the sun began to set, I found myself devising ways to spend more time with this car. The 997 is well-built, practical as a daily car, and in Carrera S guise – fast, stable, precise, well-balanced… it is no wonder why this really is a legendary sports car. Finding flaws with the 997 S is difficult; it really is that good. Supercar with all the practicality – this is what has made the Porsche 911 unique for the past 40 years, and I finally understood why. Lying on my bed at night, staring up at the ceiling, I wondered how the new 991 would drive…

Many thanks to the owner, Mr. CHT, for letting us review his stunning car. For more pictures of the Porsche 997 Carrera S, click here.

Porsche 997 Carrera S
Zerotohundred: 4.7secs
Top Speed: 290km/h
Engine: 3.8L flat-six, direct injection
Power: 360PS / 6,600 rpm
Torque: 400Nm / 4,600 rpm
Weight: 1492kg (kerb weight)
Fuel Economy: N/A
Wheels: 8.0 x 19" (front), 11.0 x 19" (rear)
Tyres: 235/35 R19 (front), 295/30 R19 (rear)
Price: N/A

Attachments

Last edited:

paohyean

Known Member
Jul 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Nice..
I think I'm going to list every variant out..
Don't think I remember it all..
But please chip in those that I left out..
1. Carrera
2. Carerra S
3. Carrera 4
4. Carrerra 4S
5. Targa 4
6. Targa 4S
7. Turbo
8. Turbo S
9. GT2
10. GT2 RS
11. GT3
12. GT3 RS
13. GT3 RS 4.0
14. Speedster
15. Carrera GTS

Damn it..
I almost have it all at the back of my head..
:embarassed:

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

Alamak, dun haf sport chrono and Bose sound package?
Why need a sound package when you have the wonderful flat 6 singing behind you??

ekolgue

Jul 15, 2009
Bro, this is NOT a PDK version, and is just a standard Tiptronic automatic gear box!!

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Bro, this is NOT a PDK version, and is just a standard Tiptronic automatic gear box!!
Thanks for the correction; rectified now!

Nice..
I think I'm going to list every variant out..
Don't think I remember it all..
But please chip in those that I left out..
1. Carrera
2. Carerra S
3. Carrera 4
4. Carrerra 4S
5. Targa 4
6. Targa 4S
7. Turbo
8. Turbo S
9. GT2
10. GT2 RS
11. GT3
12. GT3 RS
13. GT3 RS 4.0
14. Speedster
15. Carrera GTS
You're basically missing out on the cabriolet versions :biggrin:

Last edited:

ekolgue

Jul 15, 2009
All the variants should be:

1) Carrera
2) Carrera S
3) C4
4) C4S
5) Cabrio
6) Cabrio S
7) C4 Cabrio
8) C4s Cabrio
9) GTS
10) GTS Cabrio
11) C4 GTS
12) C4 GTS Cabrio
13) Targa
14) Targa S
15) Turbo
16) Turbo S
17) Turbo Cabrio
18) Turbo S Cabrio
19) GT3 MK1
20) GT3 MK1 RS
21) GT3 MKII
22) GT3 MKII RS
23) GT3 RS 4.0
24) GT2
25) GT2 RS

This should be a complete list!!

paohyean

Known Member
Jul 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
All the variants should be:

1) Carrera
2) Carrera S
3) C4
4) C4S
5) Cabrio
6) Cabrio S
7) C4 Cabrio
8) C4s Cabrio
9) GTS
10) GTS Cabrio
11) C4 GTS
12) C4 GTS Cabrio
13) Targa
14) Targa S
15) Turbo
16) Turbo S
17) Turbo Cabrio
18) Turbo S Cabrio
19) GT3 MK1
20) GT3 MK1 RS
21) GT3 MKII
22) GT3 MKII RS
23) GT3 RS 4.0
24) GT2
25) GT2 RS

This should be a complete list!!
If we include Mk I and Mk II then the list is way longer..
The Turbo and Turbo S have both Mk I and Mk II..
Mk I was based on the Metzger racing engine while the Mk II was based on the production engine with direct injection..

There's also the Sports Classic and all pre facelift 997 since they do not have direct injection..
Facelifted 997 comes with direct injection engines and internally they are more known as 997.5 or 997 Gen II..

Won

500 RPM
Sep 2, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The variant list by ekolgue is very complete; the model list is generally shorter (i.e. does not discern the various MKI/MKII variants, etc). Of course, the variance also differs in different international markets.

It's clear that there are some Porsche-philles in here, though :biggrin:

paohyean

Known Member
Jul 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The variant list by ekolgue is very complete; the model list is generally shorter (i.e. does not discern the various MKI/MKII variants, etc). Of course, the variance also differs in different international markets.

It's clear that there are some Porsche-philles in here, though :biggrin:
I have to admit that I'm quite a sucker for the 997..
Especially the Turbo S and the GT3..
:biggrin:

Looking forward for the higher performance variants of the 991..

ekolgue

Jul 15, 2009
Yup, MKI and MKII should be ignored, else, the list will be damn long.

BTW, i'm a PCM member! therefore, knowing them :)

paohyean

Known Member
Jul 28, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Yup, MKI and MKII should be ignored, else, the list will be damn long.

BTW, i'm a PCM member! therefore, knowing them :)
Wow..
That must be awesome..
Sadly I'm gonna need to cut off both my hands and legs and sell off my liver and both kidneys to afford one..
But that time I can't even drive it already..
:bawling:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
r3k4hsttub : I officially and unofficially hate and like you at the same time. You get all the cars! Dammmmnn!

And I'm much shorter than you (actually a lot of people are shorter than you) and I can safely say the rear two seats are a waste of time. And they get hot after a while, I don't think they were meant to be sat on. I think only the Boxster had proper heat insulation that didn't melt your ass off after being driving in a Porsche.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Nice looking car, I prefer this than the 996 actually cause somehow it manages to look retro like the classic 911 of old but yet also look very modern at the same time.
As for the rear seats, probably just big enough for kids, or a couple of nice petite chicks! :biggrin:

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

URgent !!!! every member in ZTH please help , if u saw this white toyota alphard with WSQ 3334 please call 0111-6128628 (voltex)

SPEC
1.Aftermarket sportrim
2.without sun roof
3.interior brownish colour
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience