Defi vs Shadow

chromeibanez

Known Member
Aug 17, 2008
I've got a friend used shadow oil press. but the sensor last about 2months. but to think it is about you get what you pay. but the accuracy I'm just not sure.

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
friend had these shadow gauges too...he had issues with them eventually

malice

Known Member
Dec 6, 2003
www.keiconcept.net
Defi got the unique function called "daisy chain".

Sensor --> Data received --> control unit --> gauges --> gauges

Looks nice and clean, without any wires clutter around.

Source: www.defi-shop.com

Last edited:

huakenny

LB Performance
Feb 24, 2005
Kota Kinabalu
Visit site
im using blitz,greddy,hks,defi n M7..all no issues

shadow once in my myvi...not really satisfied with it....

if just want a digital monitor reading, can cosider those info touch etc that plug into OBDII port. it shown almost all reading

Last edited:

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
but the stock/oem water temp would move unless its already overheated bro which means its too late.

an aftermarket one will indicate as the temp is going up, so you can prevent running the car while its boiling....

thats the thing about defi, maybe its highe cause its more accurate etc...i prefer to get another jap brand for water n oil temp...hope somebdy can give a review on other brand besides defi
YES. OEM WATER TEMP IS NOT THAT ACCURATE.
i am currently using shadow water temp gauge and oil temp gauge. both mechanical type

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

My experience I found Defi gauge temp will slightly higher than those Taiwan brand but how accurate I also don't know because never I validate it. For water temp infact I more trust the oem water temp eventho there are no show the actual temp. Because after market water temp is plug on radiator hose for sure it will have a variance versus oem water temp. Put it this way if your after market water temp show warning overheat maybe it could be due to radiator water already getting less or somewhere leak but it oem water temp overheat it mean it yr engine really overheat.
that's the sole reason why TC, SC and other valve lift and timing tech engines, and high CR engines opted for external water temp gauge rather than depends solely on OEM.

because it gives you early warning..you can set your gauge to what ever value that you consider as danger level. (provided that the gauge has warning option)
I.E: mine was set at 105 degrees C.
so that when your engine cooling system is on trouble, water temp gauge gives you warning first. OEM water temp are slow to react. no matter what. by the time you realize that your OEM water temp reaches more than 3/4 reading to hot, the water temp gauge has already rise up earlier...means that your engine is ALREADY OVER HEATING.

i am not saying that OEM water is not good, what i am trying to say is that water temp gauge is good and much-much more reliable than OEM. and even the sensor last longer than OEM.

p/s: either oem water temp or water temp gauge, both serves the same purpose. telling u that you engine is getting hot. the difference is how fast it tells u about it and the reality is water temp gauge will always give you earlier warning than OEM water temp. tested and proven countless time.

Last edited:

mines998

1,000 RPM
Dec 1, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
MKMD428 said:
i am currently using shadow water temp gauge and oil temp gauge. both mechanical type

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

that's the sole reason why TC, SC and other valve lift and timing tech engines, and high CR engines opted for external water temp gauge rather than depends solely on OEM.

because it gives you early warning..you can set your gauge to what ever value that you consider as danger level. (provided that the gauge has warning option)
so that when your engine cooling system is on trouble, water temp gauge gives you warning first. OEM water temp are slow to react. no matter what. by the time you realize that your OEM water temp reaches more than 3/4 reading to hot, the water temp gauge has already rise up earlier...means that your engine is ALREADY OVER HEATING.

i am not saying that OEM water is not good, what i am trying to say is that water temp gauge is good and much-much more reliable than OEM. and even the sensor last longer than OEM.

p/s: either oem water temp or water temp gauge, both serves the same purpose. telling u that you engine is getting hot. the difference is how fast it tells u about it and the reality is water temp gauge will always give you earlier warning than OEM water temp. tested and proven countless time.
Ya I do agree with the statement above. Water temp is really give warning ahead of OEM.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Today I when to Viswork ask them how is the quality of Shadow meter they told me they sell quite many unit so far no complaint but they told Shadow meter was a bit over price compare with other Taiwan brand.

MKMD428

500 RPM
Aug 21, 2005
johore
i do like drift gauges...but sadly they don't come in 60mm size and warning features..
i always look upon those two requirement..it's my kind of 'rule of thumb' in choosing gauge.

aranny2001

Known Member
Jun 29, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
my civic eg currently using prosport digital gauge. it's actually a very useful and ggod gauge, for me I think it's accurate. I can see the temp different between after and before wash my blocked radiator. previously when I rev my engine, I can see the gauge show very high temp first then only my OEM temp start to raise after 2 min. after I wash my radiator , the temp is nice, and I rev all the way without any problems. one more good thing is it also shown volt for 1 min every 15 min , seriously I think it's a good gauge, not so expensive, worth money!

pupjoint

Known Member
Jun 3, 2007

fully agree. i find this issue very common with japanese cars. most conti cars have a full scale gauge.

this is the reason why i fitted a water temp gauge on my newly purchased old junk.

i fitted a cheap gauge called NRG, however after fitting i am actually quite impressed with the quality. dual stepper motor tech. how long it will last? let's see.

planning to fit oil pressure and temp just for fun, but i have probs finding a good location to mount them. car is just an old saga, 12v 4G15.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi All,

Anyone here have experience different reading when dynoing with different gear(example 3rd or 4th or 5th) on a Dynojet?

Knowing that dynojet utilizing fix mass and how fast(time) to accelerate the dyno roller,so I was thinking if we were to use lower gear,examples 3rd gear ,we may have better acceleration/shorter timer compare to dyno with 4th or 5th due to shorter gear ratio which may lead to higher whp reading?
I heard some tuner will use gear with gear ratio near to 1,but...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience