Car to suit my budget.

eswaran

Apr 30, 2005
Hi! It's been a long time since I visited zerotohundred.com (close to 1 year). Had to hit the books but that's alright since I just became a doctor end of April 2006. Phew......that was hardwork. Put my mind to reward myself by get something to move around after all that hardwork. Used car by the way:sad_smile:

Would be greatful if forumers can give me a little help in choosing it. For a start it should meet these criterias:

1. MPV or mini MPV (something like Jazz or Yaris)
2. Door handle : grip type. Preferably with a sunroof
3. Economical engine (something like 1500cc-1800cc VTEC, VVTI or VTC)
4. Japanese or Korean made.
5. Preferably with a sunroof
6. Used car value between RM70K to 100K with minimum repair or maintainenece needed

My options were Toyota Yaris and Jazz but they don't meet the criteria

Thanks for ur help.:regular_smile:

darahhitam

2,000 RPM
Oct 4, 2004
KL
www.cardomain.com
How about Estima dude?
Or maybe Serena?

white_bird

500 RPM
Jul 9, 2005
puchong
dude.. u can hardly find sunroof in this kind of cars.. i mean those more economy ones... my suggest yaris would b a good choice..

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
vr hard to find used Yaris car lor....
yeah, honda jazz vtec is a wise choice... but it has no sun roof lar... u can install it later... hehe...

Ingolstadt

500 RPM
Dec 26, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
www.evomalaysia.com
If you want affordable car with loads of features, count Jap or Korean cars out, Jap and Korean makes have a almost "too" strong presence here till that local importers felt they dont have the need to import better specced models here to sell at a reasonable price, they'd just import some low specced models with "good" selling points such as foldable seats, cheeky "Twin" airbags and mp3 players. If you want affordable cars with well specced standards, and a brand that lives up to your doctorate degree, go 2nd line european cars such as Fiats, Alfa Romeos or Peugeots. These car are very well made, good handling and loads of features and very well specced. a RM80k budget can get you a Fiat Punto with twin airbags, traction control, sunroof, adjustable steering ratio and so on, used cars of these segment are also very cheap and are well worth it, for example alfa romeo 156s, superb engine note, excellent handling and performance, good presence, wont feel light or characterless as a Jap car. Of course, dont get the selespeed version if you are not those perfectionists who will send your car for service on time, yupe many people complained about parts being expensive, but hey, if you dont screw your car, you maintain it well and send for service on time, what kinda major parts will always fail on you? for example ya, i know their side mirrors costs you around RM300-500 per piece, and a wira will costs you less than RM100, but hey, which pretty girl wont costs you more? only ugly indo maids at home will serve you well with minimum cost, and you can fxxk her whenever you like, but is she someone you'll rather wetdream with? i dont think so. :) of course, then many will turn around and bashing me for "bashing" jap cars, but i'm no jap car basher, i'm crap car basher, crap in the sense that the car was made with no passion or soul at all, take the Vios or City for example, these cars are made to sell, for they have the brand effect to assist, they're no well made cars, (doesnt mean they broke down often, in fact, they're so reliable as your indo maid i describe earlier, never complain but only work. Hence seeing that you want a car with sunroof, i believe you're someone who will enjoy your time in your car, someone who will enjoy life. of course, if you cant make up your mind to pay RM300 for a side mirror, then forget it. :) But let me share with you, the experience of owning such cars, joining the clubs, getting passionate about your car and even dreamt bout it at night, is a very special experience to own. Just like a beautiful, high maintenance angelic, pretty goddess girl.

oh, well made jap cars with characters and good overall specifications such as Skylines, Supras, Subarus or Evos are no less cheaper in maintenance and parts such as continental cars. lastly, when considering a conti car, never regard chevrolet and rover as one, they're well badged craps. and again, crap doesnt mean they'll broke down, in fact my crap means they're just as reliable as your maid. :) good luck in going for one.

Ingolstadt

500 RPM
Dec 26, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
www.evomalaysia.com
around RM60-RM75k. Even a 2002 S60 2.0 Turbo costs RM100k only. :) But hard to find one with sunroof. But these are very worthed buys. can check out latest motortrader, a few are on sale within these ranges i mentioned. :)

omnikron

Known Member
Dec 13, 2005
i wonder why station wagons are not popular in malaysia. my family used to own a V70 station wagon and it is absolutely fabulous.

the service center is helpful and competant. car performs flawlessly. comfortable even with 5 adults. the rear can pack in loads of stuff. hignway cruising is good, with minimal noise, and lower fuel consumption than a full size MPV ( estima or similar).

why not look at "colder" cars, Volvo, Saab and Citroen are excellent cars. look for cars with proper servicing from authorized service center and you won't be too far off. of course, if you do plan to buy one, going back to the service center is best, as experienced with my family's volvo.

Don't believe all the bull shi.t that these cars are hard or expensive to maintain. it is no different than maintaining a Jap car ( such as a Honda Accord). Our Volvo performed 5 flawless years, kind of missed it now. our Volvo was sold at 80K, but not sure about the second hand rates now.

Last edited:

omnikron

Known Member
Dec 13, 2005
Eswaran is looking for second hand cars, unpopular cars such as volvo and saab is great for second hand, since the deprecieation is much lower when bough new.

Ingolstadt

500 RPM
Dec 26, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
www.evomalaysia.com
munky said:
keep in mind that continental cars 2nd hand value is not that good compared to japanese cars.

my 2 cents
Hence a Conti 2nd is always tonnes more worthed than a Jap.

p.s. oh ya, i missed out Saab !! one of the best cars.

My favourite brands :

1. Alfa Romeo & Audi & Saab
2. Volvo & VW & BMW

sysh

Known Member
Sep 19, 2005
KL
omnikron said:
Eswaran is looking for second hand cars, unpopular cars such as volvo and saab is great for second hand, since the deprecieation is much lower when bough new.
depreciation much lower when bought new?
err.. shouldn't it be the other way round? depreciation kicks in at its highest level in the first year or so. actually it already kicks in when the dealer passes you the key. the more if you're buying a higher value car.

and speaking of which...continental car might 'worth' more than japanese cars, but in terms of resale (taking into account how many years the car is and the depreciation accummulated over the years..), japanese cars generally have a better resale value over its continental counterparts as one of its reasons is its availability and there is a better demand for these cars.

omnikron

Known Member
Dec 13, 2005
sorry the line should speak

" depreciation much lower compared to buying new" thanks for the correction.

if buying a second hand car, looking at continentals are better.
if eswaran doent mind the cold look sometimes people give when buying continentals, its a great choice compared to japanese.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi ZTHians..
i'm thinking of changing my front bumper to some style like evo 3 ones...
i was just wondering.... because i just got my car around 3 months ago..
if i change my front bumper will i be voiding any warrenty or some sort?
and what front bumper u all recommend... if got any please post some pictures thanks
i like those kind of bumpers that "Evo 3"(ZTH Member) =) has on his car...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience