c160 6 speeder gear oil

EDRA

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2006
hello, selamat berpuasa n hari raya to alls zth members..
I just need an advise regarding the suitable gear box oil for c160 gearbox. since i transplanted my engine to bt 3 year ago i never change the gearbox oil even when in transplant process. i never pull out the drive shaft so no oil replacement needed. so now, after 3 years the gearbox oil seal for driver side drive shaft leaks. seems the oil still good but need to refill or change a new one. what i curious is which gear box oil should i buy lsd one or non lsd. can i use lsd gearbox oil if the gear box not a lsd gearbox? i am confusing coz some ppl said all c160 got oem lsd some said no lsd..anyone can help me.

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
U may use lsd gear oil on non lsd gearbox if stated on the product itself. But 3 year never change gear oil ah?! salute!!!:congrats:

Last edited:

EDRA

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2006
yup bro..3 years ++ coz i dont know when last japanese change the oil..haha..no issues at all until now the oil seal leaks. if not i still using the same gear box oil..n for info the oil seem still good. why i do that becoz last time my old ae80 and ke20 gearbox damage due to change of gearbox oil..malaysian gearbox oil not suit compare to japan gearbox oil unless using the expensive one like motul or other aftermarket oil. just my 2cents..

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
F.Y.I doesn't mean expensive gear oil then can use without hazard. Selected wrong products is the key issue! ex: minimum GL5 standard but use GL4 standard, sure damage the gear box!!!

Last edited:

xMika

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
Selangor
rated GL-4 also cannot use GL-5 oil because GL-5 contains sulphur elements that will damage brass syncros of the gearbox under high temperature ..

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Thread starter claimed mahal!!!:rofl:
*Tat's y 3yrs nvr change gear oil...
funny la...got money for engine transplant, but saying mahal for G/B oil....
Like driving big cc BMW, but cannot afford roadtax/insurance.

Anyway,

when ppl transplant engine from halfcuts, change all fluid is highly recommended, all belts should change too...God know how long the fluid remained in the engine, and whether it has been expired, or contaminated, or both...

EDRA

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2006
mr. chaser & ken yeang i didnt say mahal or murah. but the quality of gearbox oil. i had an experience before about changing the gearbox oil for my ke20 and ae80. the problem appeared after i changed the oil. i am not sure that toyota oem gear box oil not good enough for my old ke20 and ae80. what i thinking of is better not to change the gear box oil if the problem may occurred after changed it. i can use the gear box approximately for about 6-7 years without change the gear oil compare only 2-3 year if i change the oil. it happened to me 2 times already. thats why ask u all ur experience. n for info when i bought the halfcut the engine 95% looks new and fresh. and its stated the engine registered on 2004. the mileage on the meter cannot be trusted even stated only 5xxxx km but when i open the valve cover the engine very clean. thats why i consider not to change the gear oil. now in 3 years+ the mileage already 16xxxx coz i used it hardly. never had any problem when shift gear. very smooth no sound or nothing. last 2 days when in the process to changed the engine oil i saw the right side drive shaft oil seal leaks from gear box. so i plan to change the oil all. need ur advice which gear oil suit to my c160 gearbox. i still afraid to use oem toyota oil. plan to use motul but not sure my c160 is lsd or not lsd equipped.

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
mr. chaser & ken yeang i didnt say mahal or murah. but the quality of gearbox oil. i had an experience before about changing the gearbox oil for my ke20 and ae80. the problem appeared after i changed the oil. i am not sure that toyota oem gear box oil not good enough for my old ke20 and ae80. what i thinking of is better not to change the gear box oil if the problem may occurred after changed it. i can use the gear box approximately for about 6-7 years without change the gear oil compare only 2-3 year if i change the oil. it happened to me 2 times already. thats why ask u all ur experience. n for info when i bought the halfcut the engine 95% looks new and fresh. and its stated the engine registered on 2004. the mileage on the meter cannot be trusted even stated only 5xxxx km but when i open the valve cover the engine very clean. thats why i consider not to change the gear oil. now in 3 years+ the mileage already 16xxxx coz i used it hardly. never had any problem when shift gear. very smooth no sound or nothing. last 2 days when in the process to changed the engine oil i saw the right side drive shaft oil seal leaks from gear box. so i plan to change the oil all. need ur advice which gear oil suit to my c160 gearbox. i still afraid to use oem toyota oil. plan to use motul but not sure my c160 is lsd or not lsd equipped.
Dun get me wrong too, as posted on previous replied: main issue will be wrongly selected the gear oil! My reply to nappx also base on wat u stated on the post. May be mislead or limit on my understanding?! Juz my 2cents... sory on any offend,anyway good luck to ur maintainance/servicing:driver:

Last edited:

nappx

2,000 RPM
Sep 13, 2005
kLaNG-kEy_tEE
I change gb oils every 10k milage..last experiance..put cusco lsd oil..before drag at kg gajah..really say..fully utilized and result not even reach 5k milage oil character changed already...difficult to shift gear..then change to kaaz lsd oils but still cannot match cusco lsd oils for cusco lsd.

If you want care ur car..dont think much about money when u buy something....

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Edra you can buy MOTUL 90PA suitable for lsd or non lsd...during im using trd lsd..i always use motulm90pa, or lsd oil type 1/or type 2....sometime kaaz

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
EDRA,

sorry if my words was a bit harsh. I didnt intend to offend anyone. No offence, ya?

Anyway, all motor oil would have expiry date. Look at a bottle of new, unopen ATF, and there is an expiry date to it. After the date, the unused fluid would be useless, and definitely not suitable for the gearbox use. much less useful if the ATF was in the gearbox for a long time. When changing ATF, please also consider changing the filter, if it has never been change during your ownership.

I believe prevention is better, before something some major problem occurs (touch wood).

Just like engine oil. I have classic jap car that only driven on weekends. the Mileage wont be high compared to my daily ride, but when the engine oil is about 8 month, I replaced it with fresh oil (of course, i use only mineral oil, for my old jap car), regardless of the mileage done. Engine oil will deteriorate eventually, over time when it is exposed to air.

EDRA

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2006
nappx tq for ur suggestion. i will try to use this type of gearbox oil this time. seems it can be use for non lsd and lsd gearbox. i hope no problem occurs later. if i know the type and brand that previous Japanese owner used before i will use it even the price is expensive becoz very satisfied the performance output. nappx said every 10k change the oil but shifting hard compare to mine until now still smooth. some ppl who drive my car also salute the shifting compare to their cars.

do u all know how to differentiate the c160 gear box equipped lsd or not other than see through the drive shaft hole and rotate the wheel? in wikipedia said the end code state 12C must be lsd equipped and 12A non lsd. i dont know where to look the code. anyone of you have seen it?

Mr.Chaser

4,000 RPM
Jun 29, 2009
Johor
nappx tq for ur suggestion. i will try to use this type of gearbox oil this time. seems it can be use for non lsd and lsd gearbox. i hope no problem occurs later. if i know the type and brand that previous Japanese owner used before i will use it even the price is expensive becoz very satisfied the performance output. nappx said every 10k change the oil but shifting hard compare to mine until now still smooth. some ppl who drive my car also salute the shifting compare to their cars.

do u all know how to differentiate the c160 gear box equipped lsd or not other than see through the drive shaft hole and rotate the wheel? in wikipedia said the end code state 12C must be lsd equipped and 12A non lsd. i dont know where to look the code. anyone of you have seen it?
Most easier way to check: lift up ur car, rotate ur front wheel; if opposite wheel turning same direction means LSD equipped. Don't shoot me if i'm wrong:rofl:

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

try kaaz / motul / cusco
Personally i recommend VOLTRONIC 75W90 HCLS Fully Synthetic, cover most gear oil compatibility even for SUBARU AWD, BMW, Merz & etc :top:

Last edited:

lkeong88

Known Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cheras
The rotating wheel test cannot test all types of LSD. Anyway if the halfcut is from Levin, I dont think the car is registered at 2004, instead it should have been the scrapping date

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Just wanna ask a casual question. issit possible for any car especially proton's manual gearbox to modified to sequential gearbox (upshift & downshft), something similar to Savvy AMT.

But as to the Savvy AMT, they totally got it wrong. upshift supposed to be pull down and downshift push forward.

Issit possible for other cars?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience