Bau hangus

wwshyue

Known Member
Apr 9, 2006
Hi guys,

All this while when i travel long distance and stop, i can smell a little bau hangus when i get out of my coupe....i never take it seriously.

Last weekend when i travel back to my hometown i decided to give my coupe a push and see how fast it can go......so i start accelerating from 110 and continue going. when i reach nearly 190kmph and still going suddenly i can smell a very obvious bau hangus even with my window closed. i straight away slow down and the bau hangus slowly go away and at last dissapear. i din notice anything wrong with my coupe after that. when i reach home, as usual i can smell a little bau hangus after travelling long distance.

Just wanna know is this normal?? or is it anything wrong with my break system or clutch system?? or any other possibility??

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
This is NOT normal.
Kelvin, I'm not sure about clutch, but I don't think it's your brake.

Some rubber is burning, that's for sure. Do your tires touch your fender when you travel in high speed? Coz yours is lowered.

PS: Speed trap everywhere still travel 190 ar? :biggrin:

Cow

1,000 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
KL
Visit site
maybe you have an exhaust leak in the engine and the smell is coming in from the air-con vent? as you know, the RD1 aircon flap thingy tends to get loose overtime and letting the outside air in..

i dunno..just a guess..

dartango

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
Kelvin, it could be the brakes. Tried sniffing the whole car the next time you smell it to identify the location of the smell. Did you release your hand brake "maximum" ??

Btw, I remember there was a thread on AirCon smell. Occasionally, I get "urine like" smell and some other time "petrol" smell coming from the air con. Any clues to this??

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
Can you identify whether it is burned wire/plastic smell or just some oil or metal burned smell?. It could help us to help you narrow down a bit. It could be either the break pad or the relay wire which tends to get very hot when it is live.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
darren, looks like some animal like rat went in and pee inside your aircon intake.

Kelvin, indoor or outdoor get stronger smell?

Yu911

Known Member
Aug 17, 2006
www.cardomain.com
haha... animal pee? no lah, I don think so:X-:
petrol smell? must be petrol loh, but I don know why....hehe.... I do have this petrol smell last time but not from the air-con, every time I steep out my car after driving, not all the time, just some time. Every time drive to workshop for checking, that time no smell, so can't check. But now no more already, my car sot sot de.... can cure it self:Not_Impressed: (even did'n give panadol....)
The urine smell, I do have this too, this is b'coz my car carpet is wet at the passenger side, I always tapau teh peng & hang to my gear knob at passenger side, the ais water get to the carpet & growing fungus at the back of the carpet, when air-con is on, the blower suck the air from the passenger side together with the smell of the fungus to air-con, this is how my urine smell come from. After wash the carpet no more smell. It can be if ur cooling coil is very dirty, fungus growing too, have u service ur air-con before?
The burning smell, can be ur break, check ur break is it jam, can not be cluch smell b'coz u rich 190km, maybe is oil leaking to exhaust too or some thing is burning:mouth_closed:

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
darren, the urine smell, after reading Yu's post, now i remember, I have that in my old Proton Wira, and that's because my carpet always wet. Do you have such problem?

dartango

Known Member
Jun 5, 2006
no leh. I don't allow or bring food or drinks into my car. The "damped" or urine like smell comes occasionally only. However, the petrol smell is new. Again it comes occasionally only. Air con sot sot oredi. :angry_smile:

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
You have to check the drainage pipe for the air con as well. It sometimes leak to our internal carpet. I had mine fix and now no problem. As for the burn smell. It could be engine oil contact with your header or extractor like Yu911 mentioned.

BlackSamurai

9,000 RPM
Sep 2, 2004
near 7-11
www.hcc.ne1.net
Cow said:
maybe you have an exhaust leak in the engine and the smell is coming in from the air-con vent?
my myvi have such problem, need to send for waranty claim. :sad_smile:

worst still, plastic carpet melt. Everytime i rev, plastic smell come out.
Now no more, i guess plastic carpet fully melt i suspect, no more rubber to burn.

Ace

500 RPM
Mar 2, 2005
Penang
BS,
You better send your myvi for checkup. burning is something not to taken lightly

Daniel Lee

2,000 RPM
Apr 21, 2005
KL
I suspect that Kelvin's tires are rubbing the wheel wells.

Bout the aircond case, sometimes the vent will blow out sponge.

nehemiah

Known Member
May 23, 2006
wwshyue,
Dude.. have u checked ur radiator? try checking the engine cooling system see if everything's working fine. From ur description looks like its related to these things. Try have a look ( and sniff:) ) Good luck.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My car met in accident on december 15.. Btw, the accident is not my fault, its a saga from opposite lane hitting down the lamp post and the lamp post fell on my car FYI, i m driving 80 only tat time :stupid::stupid:.. the question is, should i total lost it?

Spent RM10k on bodykits and facelift

Total loss = Claim RM20k +/-

If repair it, will there be any issue as

1. Masuk Angin
2. Allignment problem
3. ??

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience