Batu Tiga stories/history/legends/etc

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Anyone of you old timers here have any stories or exciting events that happened before in the glorious old days in Batu Tiga track?

Just thinking of creating a thread to talk about the famous racetrack over here rather than discussing about it in another thread. I've heard that it used to be a rather popular place where many motor sports events took place before. Anyone can share some stories about it or maybe personal experience?

Lastly, what is the reason Batu Tiga is closed down? Not sure is it abandoned or not now...

Hopefully this thread isn't too nonsensical or out of topic...

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
During those days that was the only track in Selangor. No Sepang yet so all races were held there. Malaysian Grand Prix, Superbike and Bike Grand Prix all held there. My elder brother who works for Dunlop at that time was more involved, as they were the Motorcycle Grand Prix tyre supplier. Myself in the seventies just left school and riding bike only. Modding those days not like these days.
For the actual track I only remember the time my mechanic and some friends did up a car to try. Tyre was sponsored by one of the friend. The tyres were already more then half worn. They only could do six laps and the tyres bald already as the track was very rough.
Then after the track was closed they rented out to public for night racers.
I attended once a Saturday night race also with my mechanic and you will be surprised by the amount of people who went. The car park was full, the grandstand was full so many lined up at the fence most of them around the famous Rothmans Corner.
In 2003 the land was sold to a developer and houses were built on it.....:banghead:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
the only memories I remembered I followed my fren there had the BTSC sticker too.....bout rm30-40 per entry for weekend night race....
very cheap that time.

yeah..... Khir Toyo sold the land to the developer that time right?

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

heard now its D Kayangan.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
the only memories I remembered I followed my fren there had the BTSC sticker too.....bout rm30-40 per entry for weekend night race....
very cheap that time.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

But RM30 to 40 those days also consider expensive mah.....:smokin:

Yup, because got Sepang already that time.....:banghead:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I remember once hanging out with those fellas with their Evos and all, the most extreme Evo 4 I've ever seen was this red one. Back then I barely got my driving license, never had the chance to drive in Batu3 but shotgun ride was awesome.

There was this one dark blue R34 fella, came in lansi lansi completely ignoring people who were greeting him. Then one fella there in his Evo went up to him and revved the crap out of his car in front of him, kinda like challenging him to a race. They raced, the evo beat the crap out of the Skyline. The Skyline fella pitted, opened his hood, the owner looked at the engine and shook his head like there was a problem.

Funniest thing ever.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
During those days that was the only track in Selangor. No Sepang yet so all races were held there. Malaysian Grand Prix, Superbike and Bike Grand Prix all held there. My elder brother who works for Dunlop at that time was more involved, as they were the Motorcycle Grand Prix tyre supplier. Myself in the seventies just left school and riding bike only. Modding those days not like these days.
For the actual track I only remember the time my mechanic and some friends did up a car to try. Tyre was sponsored by one of the friend. The tyres were already more then half worn. They only could do six laps and the tyres bald already as the track was very rough.
Then after the track was closed they rented out to public for night racers.
I attended once a Saturday night race also with my mechanic and you will be surprised by the amount of people who went. The car park was full, the grandstand was full so many lined up at the fence most of them around the famous Rothmans Corner.
In 2003 the land was sold to a developer and houses were built on it.....:banghead:
If the track condition is rough, how can they held big events there like Grand Prix?

So, now the track is all gone replaced by houses? Nothing left?

very cheap that time.

RM30-40 seems quite cheap... Now at Sepang is like few hundred... :banghead:

I remember once hanging out with those fellas with their Evos and all, the most extreme Evo 4 I've ever seen was this red one. Back then I barely got my driving license, never had the chance to drive in Batu3 but shotgun ride was awesome.

There was this one dark blue R34 fella, came in lansi lansi completely ignoring people who were greeting him. Then one fella there in his Evo went up to him and revved the crap out of his car in front of him, kinda like challenging him to a race. They raced, the evo beat the crap out of the Skyline. The Skyline fella pitted, opened his hood, the owner looked at the engine and shook his head like there was a problem.

Funniest thing ever.
I envy you having nice friends in Evo even before you got your licence...

Maybe that dark blue R34 is lightly modded. Small race track plus Evo had lighter weight advantage. :biggrin:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I didn't have Evo friends, I made friends. That generation back then were always friendly as long as you had petrol in your veins. Most of the time you see a lot of independents rather than shops with their track day cars. I can't remember the name of the shop way back then that was always there doing tests with their custom mods. Anyway, those were the days.

Then Sepang came in and became too expensive.

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com

Funniest thing ever.
not sure whether is it the same guy having the blue R34 used to drag race @ Ara Damansara when it was newly developed area. they used to have illegal drag racing over there, spectacled guy sitting in his car with a cigarette in hand out the window waiting for someone to challenge him...:driver:

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
not sure whether is it the same guy having the blue R34 used to drag race @ Ara Damansara when it was newly developed area. they used to have illegal drag racing over there, spectacled guy sitting in his car with a cigarette in hand out the window waiting for someone to challenge him...:driver:
Now still have illegal drags. At Kesas though.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I didn't have Evo friends, I made friends. That generation back then were always friendly as long as you had petrol in your veins. Most of the time you see a lot of independents rather than shops with their track day cars. I can't remember the name of the shop way back then that was always there doing tests with their custom mods. Anyway, those were the days.

You guys at zth here are always friendly too. Always replying nicely to my questions and enquiries. I wouldn't have been able to learn so much if I din't get so many help from you all.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pemi...tu-Tiga-Speedway-Circuit-BTSC/444904625547729

here....

me personally still remember the F3 races there when my dad bring me to watch it....not much detail from that event..but i think i saw a yellow car crashed with tyre tercabut in front of me......and many other occasion watching events there..certainly more crowd went there compared to sepang nowadays which more like rich man/woman's playground...back then batu 3 track is pure circuit for mass people, low budget friendly race/event were held there....

to bad didnt have opportunity to try myself there.....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pemi...tu-Tiga-Speedway-Circuit-BTSC/444904625547729

here....

me personally still remember the F3 races there when my dad bring me to watch it....not much detail from that event..but i think i saw a yellow car crashed with tyre tercabut in front of me......and many other occasion watching events there..certainly more crowd went there compared to sepang nowadays which more like rich man/woman's playground...back then batu 3 track is pure circuit for mass people, low budget friendly race/event were held there....

to bad didnt have opportunity to try myself there.....
Seems like you are quite young yourself too. Entrance fee was cheap back then?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

But back then even though the track is cheap, modding were not and a lot could not afford to track play like nowadays. Like I mentioned before, those days 7 kids and 1 car, unlike nowadays more then 1 car per family.:biggrin:
My elder brother had more experience as he was most of the time there at Batu Tiga when the motor GP is on. He knew most of the Racers especially those under his company sponsor.
Then the local car races too. He have a Manager who was also a racer. Those days the Datsun 1200 was very popular....:driver:

---------- Post added at 08:57 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

You guys at zth here are always friendly too. Always replying nicely to my questions and enquiries. I wouldn't have been able to learn so much if I din't get so many help from you all.
Yup, as you know even my TKSS group, we knew each other through Zth, met up and became closed friends....:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Specs yes. But not sure la, I was so young back then. Maybe he is maybe he isn't.

The Marketplace Top Posts

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Nowadays, Many cars do not come with an Audible lock and unlock sound. Not like those days (Beep Beep)... To install after market in a shop, might cost anywhere between RM 80 - 160 just for the beep beep sound...

This was a circuit design and DIY I did 5 years ago... Posted in LancerGT Club Forum, now sharing it over here as it is applicable universally..

----------

I made 2 versions.. 1 is very very simple.. just need a normal relay with a Siren... HOWEVER, version 1 will...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience