Bad smells from exhaust (especially cold start)

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
hehe, hope no big deal la.. wallet getting thinner nowadays everything's increased :biggrin:
Valve guide oil leak is very normal for older engines...very minimal also...

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

I have almost the same problem recently. I was waiting in the car for my gf, and my engine was running as well.
So, when I leave my driver door open, I can smell the exhaust smell, I can't explain how it smells like but then the smell is just
unbearable. I'm afraid if there is a leak somewhere but during acceleration is fine an quiet. Just engine roaring sound.

If i stand around my car outside, I can definitely smell the exhaust smell and can feel some heat when I stand beside my driver side car door and front tyre.

My friend told me once before that is quite hot in front when u bend down at the front tyres when engine is running. No white smoke,
just exhaust smell is strong. I thought of getting it check this saturday as well.
It will be hot in front when radiator fan is on...:biggrin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Valve guide oil leak is very normal for older engines...very minimal also...

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

It will be hot in front when radiator fan is on...:biggrin:
Ya was wondering, cuz friend told me something is not right how come ur car so hot around the tyre area :biggrin:

But now exhaust smell i really dunno what is the problem. U say if stand behind can smell then quite norm to me, but then even when Im in front then smell is too strong.

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
sometimes, when car left not running for quite a while it may smells bad during warm up.. it is because of petrol build up at along the hose..

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
sometimes, when car left not running for quite a while it may smells bad during warm up.. it is because of petrol build up at along the hose..
My car everyday use mia :rofl: and that time the car already warm up quite some time and i stop at the side waiting for gf.

twistedichc

2,000 RPM
Jan 22, 2013
Ampang Point
My car everyday use mia :rofl: and that time the car already warm up quite some time and i stop at the side waiting for gf.
don't know y but my kelisa engine bay oso getting hotter not like in 5 years ago, that time after long hours in jam can open the hood locking mechanism without much heat, now it's very2 hot, even the hood holder oso hot like wtf:banghead:. than my kancil exhaust smell oso got into the cabin but than again i think it's normal coz runnin wit no a-con & windows down. problem is if on the run the smell oso very strong even wit all the wind around. if only can do test to see where the fume came from like those heat vision thingy where different temp shows different colors. i wonder hmmmm:confused:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
don't know y but my kelisa engine bay oso getting hotter not like in 5 years ago, that time after long hours in jam can open the hood locking mechanism without much heat, now it's very2 hot, even the hood holder oso hot like wtf:banghead:. than my kancil exhaust smell oso got into the cabin but than again i think it's normal coz runnin wit no a-con & windows down. problem is if on the run the smell oso very strong even wit all the wind around. if only can do test to see where the fume came from like those heat vision thingy where different temp shows different colors. i wonder hmmmm:confused:
LOL! U need to buy those heat detectors goggles? :rofl: Like detect body heat :rofl:
The hood stand is hot most of the time for me. Kelisa also if run for a long time.

Just my main concern is the bad smell from exhaust. Stand behind smell stronger but cant be if front also can smell..

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Bro vr, i've checked the oil level every week or twice a week no oil missing. Maybe i have phobia for that TB clean with WD4D that mech did last time, keep pop ups in my mind that if WD4D sticked at intake manifold will that smell disappear after came out from the combustion chamber?

If it's really running rich, what should i do?
Time to take out the WD40-ed TB and reclean it with TB cleaner.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
valve seal? i suspect it would be engine oil burning...

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Then need to check my engine oil, it cant be as my engine would consider as new now :rofl:

k0pi

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Kota Bharu
I think it's normal about the bad fumes. From wat I know... if the fume is kinda itchy to the eyes and stabbing the nose (at first contact with the fume), the engine's running lean AFR... if around stoich, you just tend to smell normal and it takes time before eyes begin to itch and hurt your nostrils... if too rich, already can smell petrol. Exhaust fume also can gather up behind the bumper and undercarriage, making it smell everywhere around the car... especially when the wind is going against the exhaust... but it's best to go to exhaust shop to check for leak especially around exos system flanges and connecting welds, and the flexible at the adjoining cone. Undercarriage leak is bad because exhaust fume may slowly enter the cabin and you're breathing it.

Another way air from engine bay or outside came into the cabin is when you have torn 'daun pisang' (that plastic cover under the fender) + worn out door rubber - which will allow high flow of air circulated under the fender to seep in at the door hinge... AND...
open holes at the firewall... AND the ventilation gate in the aircond blower box couldn't be shut properly (maybe the flap is out of shape).

Hot air around tyre area - probability hot air that being blown by radiator fan collected into the tyre well, or hot knuckle/disc.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Mine no smell in the car, just outside the car or driver window fully wind down/ when car door is open. then can smell.