Audi Purchase Ducati For USD 1.1 Billion

Jay

Known Member
Mar 6, 2012
Kuala Lumpur

Initially there was talk of Daimler AG looking to acquire the legendary Italian motorcycle maker Ducati Motor Holding SpA, but recently reiterated that it was never interested in the first place even though there was some sort of collaboration between Ducati and AMG. Turns out, it wasn't Daimler but Audi instead.

<!--more-->Audi now looks all set to sign some papers and hand over the cash, about 860 million Euros (US$1.1 billion), to take ownership of Ducati from Investindustrial SpA.
It seems that a finalised agreement has been reached between Audi and Investindustrial for the sale of Ducati to go through, and VW's supervisory board is keenly looking to approve the deal by today.

At first, it was VW's Chairman, Ferdinand Piech who had expressed interest in buying Ducati back in April 2008 before loosing the bid to Investindustrial. Currently, the deal looks as good as done, making Ducati the 11th brand within VW’s portfolio.

Why the sale to Audi? Because Ducati sold more than 42,000 of their bikes, bringing in a revenue of about 480 million Euros and most importantly - it would now enable the VW Group to compete head-to-head with Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (BMW), which not only manufactures the BMW Motorrad line-up, but also Husqvarna motorcycles.

And so another iconic Italian brand will be headed into the clutches of 'zee' Germans, much like Lamborghini and Italdesign Giugiaro SpA, and there's even rumours that Piech may still be interested in FIAT SpA's Alfa Romeo brand.

Once the deal is done, we could possibly see an Audi or VW logo appearing somewhere on both Valentino Rossi's and Nicky Hayden's MotoGP Ducati racing bikes.

It seems that Audi's timing for the acquisition of Ducati is excellent, with the Italian motorcycle manufacturer having just launched their 1199 Panigale - contributing more revenue for VW's next acquisition perhaps?

As for us, there will be a media launch for the Panigale on the 19th April, so if you're a Ducati fan or simply a fan of 2-wheeled crotch rockets, then stay tuned!

Source: Bloomberg

Attachments

DeaconFrost

Known Member
Oct 2, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
As demonstrated by our beloved old farts at Top Gear, Audi is incapable of subtle communication and in more than one occasion, is guilty of shoving their ads onto people's faces.

They are the opposite of BMW.

Hopefully, Audi will honour Ducati and will not sabotage the brand by pasting an Audi sticker on Rossi's bike.

Would love to see technology transfer between them, similar to Toyota-Yamaha. Ducati will show how to make a small displacement short stroke engine that can rev to the moon, and Audi will put it in a new compact 'eco-friendly' car. Honda makes superbikes so they already know how to do that.

drMpower

May 1, 2006
i am waiting for azlan pingu to tell the world there is no synergy between making cars and motorcycles.

rageaccel2

Known Member
Dec 22, 2010
Shah Alam
nice... surely Audi won't smear the ducati brand. if theres anyone who knows about brand loyalty, its the germans. surely they will try to please & shows the ducatisti that the icon will never change under the new management.

pwhyze

500 RPM
Mar 1, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Zee Germans have shown they do respect the heritage and tradition behind the foreign brands they've acquired through out the years (Lambo, Bugatti, etc..), so I''m expecting pretty much the same thing in this deal as well.

kUmUcHaI 11/1

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
JB - KL
Haha...superbike with whole bunch of daytime running LED...haha.

When you see LED at night...it wont be audi always...stayed away...it might be Ducati

detomaso_runna

1,000 RPM
May 21, 2005
PeNAnG
www.friendster.com
Haha...superbike with whole bunch of daytime running LED...haha.

When you see LED at night...it wont be audi always...stayed away...it might be Ducati
hahahaha sometimes can be normal car with aftermarket led stripes. :p too many led thingy. i bet audi gonna came out with something new and put specially for ducati. we just wait and see. :D

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear all the sifus here, this few days my car's engine stoped while I am cruising aroung 60 - 80 km/h.....the car still moving but I can felt that when I press the accelrator pedal like nothing at all.
Why?? Is my Fuel Pump or I just need to change Fuel filter 1st??
Thanks for helping me..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience