Alpine sps-170a

• See what others are reading now! Try Forums > Current Activity
  • Search function more powerful with google results! Try Search

khangwee

Known Member
hi guys, i want to change the front speaker for kenari, and the audio shop recommended me to take the alpine sps-170A for 300 with installation. is it a good deal? i need help in this, coz i'm still new in ice.. :retarded:

It's a pretty decent set of coaxial with angled tweeter to raise the soundstage even when mounted low in the doors.

Pretty good upgrade if you don't plan to install big amplifiers(or no amplifiers at all powered by HU) as they sound pretty good powered by HU(headunit) itself.

mine is sps-17c2, also coaxial speakers, so how will that sound if i connect straight from HU (45wx4)? these speakers are placing at the back of myvi.

the shop quote me 300 for sps-170a with installation
any better deal than this? i'll connect from my sony hu, 50wx4, dunno how does it sounds :-)

the SPS-17C2 is the newer version(2006 model) of the SPS-170A. Slightly different in terms of tweeter material, the 170A is metal dome tweeter and the 17C2 is a silk dome. Haven't auditioned the 17C2 but preliminary thoughts of it is that it might not sound as open as the 170A as silk domes need a bit more power to be driven than metal domes, that is of course, in my opinion, don't ask me for proof or what la...

Hm... khangwee, am not too sure if RM300 is a good price for it, but maybe try getting quotes around from a few shops first and see about it? ;) Make sure the set is a Woo Kee Hong(WKH) set, look for the WKH sticker on the speakers. There's just too many fakies around nowadays so it's worth it to be careful.

silk domes tweeter even worst than metal dome tweeter? but doesn't make sense if alpine increase its version from previous even lousier rite? hehe.....

i bought this coax. spks for RM270 only, not including installation. maybe urs bit higher for an older version?

I'm not saying that silk domes will sound worst, with enough power(50Wrms, not 50W Max), silk domes will sing better with less zing. But in terms of HU power(roughly 20-25Wrms most of the time), the metal tweeters will be easier to drive and sound better.

oh i see........now i get it. i havent try the difference between the silk and metal dome tweeter. perhaps u can explain in more detail bout 'zing'?

i jz saw a set of sps-17c2, at enous, rm300 with installation le... any1 using this 1, need advise fr u all

Did you try it out on the demo board? I'm not sure coz today was in 1U but didn't had time to go Enous

A thread every 60 seconds

Search

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience
Top Bottom